Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you make this on a manual lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you make this on a manual lathe.

Machinists,

I have a project that requires me to make this wave on the outside of a 1.5" diameter and the inside of a 2.0" diameter steel part.

The wave amplitude is .015 and the length is .104" these are set in stone. Length is 1.00" The waveform is shown below.

Accuracy and repeatablity is crucial. Keeping +/- .001 will be paramount.

Material is 4140 HR. Qty up to 1000 pcs.

I would rather single-point this since there are no off-the-shelf concave and convex toolbits that fit my dimensions, although I'm sure I could have one made. Although I am concerned with chatter with this much cutter contact at the full profile.

Is there a way to make/buy a transfer-type guide (like cutting a house key) that I could use to move along the material via the compound?

Any other ideas are very welcome.

Regards,
    Jimno

Is the "wave" helical or circular?
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

The wave is circular.

The profile you see will make rings and/or grooves around the cylinder.

They are not helical.

Jim

edited to add: I will check with the designers to see if a thread pattern would work. Certainly makes this easier.
      Last edited by Jimno2506; 02-15-2007, 02:09 PM. Reason: hmm

Comment

ok, if you can't use threading techniques, at 1K parts, farm it out to a CNC shop

Comment

farm it out

That takes all the fun out of figuring out how to do it.

Jimno

Comment

Who's fun would that be, you're asking us to figure it out.

Joe

Comment

Seems like helical may be an option

How would you do it?

Thanks,
              Jim

Comment

Small hydraulic copying attachment? :-)

Ian
                All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon
                  Who's fun would that be, you're asking us to figure it out.

Joe

You are right. Forget I asked. I'll figger it out.

Jim

Comment

get 25 quotes from CNC shops and take one just above the lower 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by Jimno2506
                      Machinists,

I
                      Is there a way to make/buy a transfer-type guide (like cutting a house key) that I could use to move along the material via the compound?

Regards,
                      Jimno
                      Hydraulic copier?

Tim

Comment

the normal method would be a pattern lathe or CNC. Do you have a taper atachment on your lathe ?? If so maybe you can use that to set up an improvised pattern atachment. thay is a lot of parts and 1 inch is a bit much for a form tool. Unless you can grind a tool for one cycle and repeat . Do you have a dro that can be set in incremental mode.? Sounds like you need acuracy and repeatability.
                        Tin
                        Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I think the others are right, for a run of 1000-off I would agree subbing it out to a shop with a CNC or copy lathe is the right the thing to do.

However, if you mad enough to want to them all yourself, then consider something like this:

http://nsa.kpu-m.ac.jp/gijutu/kousak...sh/profile.htm

I would have the template accurately wire-eroded (wire EDM) to shape from something pretty hard, as you will need a reasonably hard fine-pointed stylus as well to avoid wear.

Peter

Comment

Farm it out? Hogwash! But what would you expect from a "professional" HSM.

I'd make a bit and cut the whole one inch at once. You're only going .015 deep. The biggest challenge is to make the bit. It's not any standard TPI in inch or metric so a single point would be easier but would take longer. Having access to a grinder would make it a piece of cake for the bit. For a thousand pieces, I'd make a bit and make some money!

Is there a spec for where the first and/or last "tooth" fall on the 1.00" length? (The .104" will be centered, offset?)

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Falcon
                              Unless you can grind a tool for one cycle and repeat . Do you have a dro that can be set in incremental mode.? Sounds like you need acuracy and repeatability.
                              Tin
                              Yep, that's exactly what I need. I've contacted a customer tool mfg and am awaiting a quote.

Incremental DRO is not available. I'll use micrometer stops and dial indicator for all movements.

If anyone here can grind this cutter for me I'd be happy to work with you.

Regards,
                              Jimno

Comment

Working...
                              X