Insurance Ripoff? Off Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Ripoff? Off Topic

Wondered why a 1981 Yamaha 440 snowmobile couldnt be insured by my Current Insurance Company Marsh Mclenan (traders General) They initially tried to acomodate me and then abruptly said sorry we wont cover a old thing like that. I have two Homes and three vehicles currently insured by them. In our last conversation i said i will be looking elsewhere for insurance thanx for nothing. I have never had a claim. What gives? Anyone know a decent insurance company to deal with? Thanx

Originally posted by madman
    Anyone know a decent insurance company to deal with? Thanx
    Madman, I'm not sure you can use the words "decent" and "insurance company" in the same sentence. They all like to take your money until it is time to pay out on a claim, then they want to cancel on you because you are a risk to them.
    Jonathan P.

Comment

Yeah, Just ask any hsm member in the gulf what they think of HONEST INSURANCE agents....

WHOO HOO.. I fired State Farm... Now I have Travelers both on home and auto.

Seems anyone with eyes and ears would listen to "flood water" not "hurricane" damage. There should be a state farm agent swinging from every cyprus tree in the gulf. Ohh my, that'd be wrong thou, right?

Snowmobiles? why do they have to be insured? to tag em?
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Madman , You are a high risk because the law of averages are against you. Since you have never had a claim , You are surely DUE.The insurance would love to see you go. Seriously though since you have everything insured by thr same company ,you ought to be able to get an umbrella polilcy. this covers everything .Just about anything you touch.
        My brother in law had the same company for workmans comp in gA for 19 yrs and they flat out told him he was high risk because he has never had a clailm. Chris

Comment

Japcas,
          Hell, I'd be happy if my insurance would have just dropped me. Instead I'm getting sued by my own insurance company so they won't be responsible and have to pay out. All because someone else is suing me over something I wasn't even involved in.

It's a f#@*ed up world out there.
          Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

My funny story is that I've had two recent spinal surgeries. One in late November 06, and another at the end of January 07. Lots of mail from the insurance company telling me how much they paid this or that doctor on my behalf. This is my first full week back at work after the neck thing in January.

Yesterday I get mail from a local law firm. The first sheet is from my insurance company, introducing the law firm, vouching for them, and telling me that I have to answer their questions per the terms of my insurance policy.

The next page is from the law firm. I quote:

"This firm has been contacted by [insurance company] to assist in coordinating insurance benefits which help to contain health care costs. This office investigates medical claims for potential third party liability."

They go on to ask if, in the past 3 years, I've suffered injury as the result of:

1. Car accident
            2. Work related injury (Workers' comp claim)
            3. Medical malpractice
            4. Product liability
            5. A slip or fall on someone else's property
            6. "Any other situation in which another person/party may be responsible for your injuries."

"Please note that this will in no way affect the type of availability of service that [insurance company] is obliged to provide you under the terms of the health insurance contract. (their bold) However, it is important that we obtain this information as required by your health insurance contract."

In other words, a bunch of money has been paid on your behalf, and we're itching to sue somebody.

When I got the letter, I was thinking, "Ha - I'm finally in the black, with more paid on my behalf by and insurance company than has been paid on my behalf to and insurance company." Well, my boss straightened me out on that one. The bulk of my monthly premium payments (over 80%) is paid by my employer. Doing the math, I find that the two surgeries, with all the ancillary charges for MRIs, anesthesiologists, ad nauseum hasn't even set the insurance company back by a year's worth of premiums.

Maybe I picked the wrong line of work. (Communications Engineering) When's the last time you heard of a US health insurance company going under?

-Mark
            The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Tell them that you tripped and hurt your neck/back while walking into their office to pay your premium.
              "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Insurance ripoff

Hmm, lets think about that...

Insurance ... Ripoff

Redundant
                James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by madman
                  Wondered why a 1981 Yamaha 440 snowmobile couldnt be insured by my Current Insurance Company Marsh Mclenan (traders General) They initially tried to acomodate me and then abruptly said sorry we wont cover a old thing like that. I have two Homes and three vehicles currently insured by them. In our last conversation i said i will be looking elsewhere for insurance thanx for nothing. I have never had a claim. What gives? Anyone know a decent insurance company to deal with? Thanx

Why don't you find another company that'll cover the snowmobile and leave the rest of your insurance in place? Believe it or not, building a history with an insurance company is a good thing.

In my experience, it isn't unusual to have an insurance company refuse to insure certain things or offer certain types of coverage. My wife and I recently needed a fiduciary policy for a couple million bucks. Our insurer, State Farm, doesn't do that type of policy. We managed to find another company that did. We did end up paying a higher than normal premium with the other company because that was the only coverage we carried with them. No big deal though, since the policy was only for a 6 month period.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                    Yeah, Just ask any hsm member in the gulf what they think of HONEST INSURANCE agents....

There should be a state farm agent swinging from every cyprus tree in the gulf. Ohh my, that'd be wrong thou, right?
                    Like Orangutans, right?

The company I use covers all my stuff. I have never ever had a problem with any claims settlements. Only two or three in 20+ years though ( fingers, arms and legs crossed)
                    Ken.

Comment

insurance

Quite a while ago now, a friend of mine recieved notice that his insurance was being cancelled because he was behind in his payments, 6 weeks later he recieved a check for $2300 from them because he was over paid at the time of cancellation.

Also, went to renew insurance on my old bike (1974 honda 750, old and chunky, not very fast or pretty, but it fits my butt) was refused because the bike had rolled off the chart, which only went back to '76 now, so I either had to insure it as a classic, or find a different company.

ken.

Comment

Evil Insurance Pricks

I also received a call from Insurance company. Saying your oil tank needs updating replacing. Well it was in January when the snow in that area was four feet high. They wanted a concrete pad beneath the tank and some other stuff. Basically a new tank. Well i didnt do it cause snow cold ect. Its been there 50 years or so could be there another couple months i figure. Anyhow another call sir we are cancelling your insurance on that home you own. And we will have to call the bank to let them know youre home has no insurance. I just told her i dont have a mortgage and hung up. What a twat they are.

Comment

Madman,

Somehow none of that rings true. Insurance companies do not phone you with cancellation notices. That kind of stuff is always put in writing.

I've had similar warnings about rental properties. It isn't unusual for the companies to require things to be brought up to code or repaired. Last notice I received was that moss needed to be removed from a garage roof, it wasn't an unreasonable request and they gave me a couple months to do it.

Comment

When I sent off my house insurance renewal last year they called me to ask about my roof. It seems that when the house (or policy) hits a certain age they want a roof inspection. I have had insurance with the same company for about 20 years so I guess that time triggers this. I wasn't happy about the idea of paying for a roof inspection as my roof is just fine. I managed to talk them into accepting hi resolution photographs from the ground and on top of the roof.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ahh yes, insurance woes. Our homeowners insurance whom we have been with for 24 years now has informed us they are dropping earthquake coverage because our area is, "just too high risk". Apparently the cascadia fault line extends from the coast of WA to halfway down the OR coast, and it may be "problematic" for us west-siders in the future.

I had to buy earthquake insurance from another company.

Comment

Working...
                              X