Pictures from Lynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures from Lynn

Lynn writes "Here are some pix of a wind tunnel model that my son-in-law and his crew whittled out of SS and aluminum. I saw it the day they were assembling for shiping, and it was beautiful. Shiney as all 'get out'. It's a 1/5 scale, about 5ft long.

Bigger

Bigger

Bigger

That's amazing. But what is it? It looks like a model/prototype SCRAMJET rocket, or an ICBM-class cruise missile.

or a prop for Star Wars III: Milking The Cash Cow.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

fabulous ! looks very difficult to make how long did it take them and were did they get their ideas ? Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I understood it to be an antiship missile ...mach mucho! It's an airbreather, obviously. And those nacelles on the model are functional, ie. it does permit flowthru. So there's really more machining complexity hidden from view inside the rear portion. Total machining time was on the order of about a month. Now that did include a lot of overtime, both nights and weekends. But it wasn't round the clock. My son-in-law is the lead machinist and has a team of 4 others. (all are under about 32 yrs old)
        The design for this model was done by in-house engineering. But it's based on a functional vehicle design of a major aerospace contractor.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
        X