Runout on my drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runout on my drill press

I have a good quality not chinese drillpress ( Meddings)it is an older one but I like it,I noticed today that when drilling a hole with it I put in a forstner bit and noticed a little but never the less noticible waddle with it,(no need for a clock on it to notice it ),I wonder how to fix this .I have a friend who just got a good deal with a new top of the range drill press complete with keyless chuck,it runs beautifully, can mine be easilly fixed or is it goodnight Vienna and wallet out for a new one.I would prefer if possible to fix it but it must run true Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Alistair, check the bit first. If it's that obvious now but you've only now noticed it then it may be the bit and not the DP. If its not the bit, then it may be the chuck, which can be replaced. Try and find out where the problem truely lies. Untill you know where the problem is we can't offer accurate advice.

-Dave

Comment

The spline at top of the spindle may be loose in the spline driver, if the chuck or bit are not at fault.
      If the bit ever spun in the chuck, the surface of the shaft can be marred enough to go in crooked. Needs three flats, which some of them have.

Many non-heavy industrial drill presses have only one bearing at the bottom, a thrust bearing with some radial load capability. At top, often the spline is the only guiding element. If loose, a long bit like a forstner may show wobble.

You can make a circular shim with one of those lathes you have and tighten up the splined top of the spindle quite a bit.

Comment

Alistair

Good advice by Oso.

It is possible that your bearings need replacement, but check the spline first. If you decide to buy a new chuck I would recommend either the Albrecht 5/8" or as a lower priced alternative Rohm Spiro (high end) or Supra (low end). Another low cost chuck is the French LFA, but the German Albrecht and Rohm are far better. The Albrechts with a gold hand collar have diamond impregnated jaws to grip carbide. With an appropriate shank, you should be able to use the chuck with your Synchro tailstock as well.

If you want a gear type chuck buy the Rohm - far better than jacobs. If you decide on a Jacobs Ball bearing 18N (1/32"-3/4") this is the biggest chuck that can be put on a commercial MT#2 shank

Comment

I recently had an experiance with a Powermatic. This particular one uses two bearings, one at each end of the spindle. The one at the bottom for some reason had spun inside the recess, causing wobble. Spindle was bored and sleeved for rwepair
          gvasale

Comment

O K Guys I tried to see if there was any play in the spindle by extending th quill all thee way down and feelig it with my hand and trying to wiggle it to see if its sloppy,but it seems to be very tight and accurate, and also I watched it run without any drill in the chuck and it also seems very good too, so I think it may be the jaws in the chuck which need a fine adjustment to get a more accurate grip I will try it out soon and let you know . Regards to my friends out there Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Alistair, try a piece of ground drill stock in the chuck and see what that looks like.

-Dave

Comment

I've got a good old piece of American made iron for a drill press in my garage, and I bought another inexpensive Chineese model for my instrument shop. The chineese machine was a piece of junk until I put a new Rohm keyless chuck on it what a nice piece of machinery! If its the chuck giving you the problem, consider the Rohm for replacement. Accurate and inexpensive.
                Matt

Comment

Alistair: put a #2 morse tape in, use DI and turn it. THen shake, push shove. see how umuch movement there is. try to put the DI on the upper housing and measure. If you dont do that, you will be measuring talbe move move, head to support move ment. I am trying to say that you shoud always measure from some thing that CANNOT wiggle to the part that MAY wiggle. You may find , by pressing on quill and rotating that the hole the quill goes through is egg shaped. Record the measurements in at least four orthagonal places. Don't forget to wiggle the top and the bottom. If that stuff is tolerable, you probably have a bent drill or chuck. so use DI one them and see which wobbles. don't buy till you try"
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X