Bi nuts and bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi nuts and bolts

Just had an idea- why not make nuts and bolts that would thread together either way, left or right hand. Could this be done?

I'm not implying that it's reasonable, just wondering what it would take to do it. It seems the thread would have to be very coarse, and possibly multiple start. The nut and bolt would end up having all these little diamond shapes all over them.

You might find that if you started it one way, then it would stick to that way. If you started it the other way, it would stick to that way. Or you might find that you could start it one way, then at a precise point in the engagement you could reverse the rotation of the nut and it would continue to thread in the same direction, either on or off.

There, a mental puzzle for y'all. Or a moment of insanity on my part.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Bloody hell Darryl - I've just spent the best part of 25 years teaching guys "rightey tightey, leftey loosey" - and now you come along and mess it all up!

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Look at a Yankee screwdriver.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

How about cam-lock screws that require just 1/8 turn either way. They push most of the way in, then twist one way or the other and they're set.

Comment

Sure you're not thinking of the "ambihelical hexnut?" It's what fastens the tricotometric indicator support to the rectabluar excrusion bracket in this famous illustration:

http://joeschwartz.net/Illusions/parastatic.htm

Problem is that it must be loosened in order to tighten it, and turning it left causes it to go right. . .

Cheers,

Frank Ford
          FRETS.COM
          Gryphon Stringed Instruments
          My Home Shop Pages
          Cheers,

Frank Ford
          HomeShopTech

Comment

Bi nuts and bolts

Isn't that a Transvestite Machinist.

Ed
            Ceramic in a ball bearing means speed.

Comment

Holy cow Frank, that hurts my eyes!
              Like Even said, Yankee Screw driver.
              Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

As I recall, and I am never wrong in my recollections, this already exists.

If you are north of the equator, the water drains from the bath tub in one direction. And if you are south of the equator, the water drains from the bath tub in the other direction.

Now on to 'bi'. The screw making machines automatically adjust to the hemispherical location and the 'bi' factor is automatically built in. As a result, 'rightey tightey, leftey loosey' is only correct when you are on the north side of the equator.

Additionally, the reason for the astronauts having such difficulty in space when assempling the International Space Station, arises from the constantly changing alignment of the 'North Hemisphere' and 'South Hemisphere' references. This is a very little known 'law' that goes back to the days of Archimedes. This little know law is known as the 'ighteyray ighteytay, efteylay ooseylay' law.

If you recall your history, Leonardi DaVinci, became obsessed with the 'ighteyray ighteytay, efteylay ooseylay '. As a result of that addictive fascination, he wrote everything backwards.

Comment

http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/recogn-bmp/LW399.jpg
                  Just got my head together
                  now my body's falling apart

Comment

I think the old level wind mechanism on fishing reels used this same concept.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

You can buy a reversing ballscrew which does that. They show them at machine design shows. The shaft turns at a constant speed, and the nut shuttles from one end, then reverses and travels to the other end, all day long. Gets boring after a while.

Comment

Not being the, umm, bi type, I prefer ordinary straight sex bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ford
                          Sure you're not thinking of the "ambihelical hexnut?" It's what fastens the tricotometric indicator support to the rectabluar excrusion bracket in this famous illustration:

http://joeschwartz.net/Illusions/parastatic.htm
                          "Silver threads among the galled"? This sort of thing will end Free Speech.

Comment

What's the definition of a will? (It's a dead giveaway)

A chicken crossing the road: poultry in motion.

If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Comment

[QUOTE

http://joeschwartz.net/Illusions

QUOTE]

While your at it..........just try this.........
                              RPease

Comment

Working...
                              X