"Lowest Price" site for tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madman
    Yeah direct dealing with china. Amazing prices. Eliminate the middlemen.
    I'm with you. Actually I deal with Ho. He even cuts out the manufacturer. Ho works at the Great China Tool Manufacturing company. He gets the stuff out the back door so I save all kinds of money
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

YOD:

Is Ho black, cause I have heard all about her if so.

HE HE.... The fuming and ranting of a fellow electrician.
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

If you mean cheap "good" tools;
        www.buzzardgulch.com
        1-800-821-2931
        Ask for sheryl, she'll deal, usually ship for free also.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
          As for more commonly available items, I still consider Ebay to be an expensive avenue to buy from. As a reference, occassionly I will follow auctions of what I call "commodity tools" and SELDOM do I see significant savings. So, am I missing something?

Since several of you have mentioned that Ebay is a hotbed of screaming bargains, could you (and anyone else who want to play "Where's The Bargain?")
          TMT
          If you are just buying screw drivers and such then yes, go to sears and get your screw drivers.

I get good prices on ebay for more expensive items. From brand new dell laptops to General Electric C16J tubes for my lathe.

The tubes will cost you between four and six hundred bucks through a dealer (if you can find them).

This was an ebay auction I saw where you could buy the tubes for fifty bucks. I already had enough tubes so I passed the auction along. They were snatched up instantly along with three others the guy had.
          http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ic/2/1829.html

I can go on and on.

I have been on ebay since 2000. I have over a thousand transactions. I have bought most of my machines off of ebay. I have only been ripped off once (thanks Babbin). JRouche
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Since several of you have mentioned that Ebay is a hotbed of screaming bargains, could you (and anyone else who want to play "Where's The Bargain?") post the links to both the recent great prices in Ebay's completed auctions and their counterparts from major retail sellers? Since the Ebay completed auctions cover the past month, I would consider it to be an easy effort if the bargains really exist.
            In a word, no. I'm not going to spend a bunch of my time to "prove" to you what I am saying. You can take my word or others for it, or not, that's your choice.

You are welcome to take a look at the most recent eBay item #'s I have won:

220084498619: Set of 1200lb capacity casters I will use to build a machinery dolly. $62 for 4. Someone in another thread on these boards said that would cost me $200-400 to buy new. Take a look at McMaster-Carr and see what they cost--it's that much per caster. I looked there before heading to eBay.

290087017910: Brand new NMTB 30 drill chuck arbor by SPI for $44.99. They're over $100 new for anything but cheap Asian knock offs.

230085973272: 600 AC power cord strain reliefs for $1.99. I have no idea what they cost elsewhere, but it ain't $1.99.

150091541982: CNC Machinable Wax. $15.50 for 3 pieces. Enco lists the same brand wax, same size, for $18 each, over 3x this cost.

330088868640: Lot of 10lbs of 6061 aluminum for $15.50. Most places want $2 a pound. A lot of eBay sellers are shops selling off their end pieces. I don't happen to have a local shop pushing those my way, so this happens to be convenient.

280075137579: 5" precision sine bar, Taiwan, not China, $10.50 on eBay, $60 from Enco.

The list goes on. eBay is not the only place I buy, but I have saved a ton by shopping there. This stuff is not screwdrivers, but it ain't exactly electron microscopes either, and it didn't take me 2 hours to find each one. I won all 5 of these right off the bat at prices I considered a significant enough discount to be worthwile.

eBay is not for everyone. If you don't care for it, that's great. The fewer bidders, the better the prices!

Best,

BW
            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

I can add a little bit to Bob’s comments. When surfing eBay I have found the following helpful.

1. Avoid buy it now auctions unless it’s something you really need. They usually don’t offer much savings.
              2. beware of used precision items, especially name brand items
              3. cross check all prices against reputable retailers (msc, enco, travers, online metals, etc)

This is not an endorsement, but prices this item new, and you not going to get it delivered to your door for twice this price. Item number: 180090651553
              -Dan S.
              dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
                Where eBay really shines for me is when I need something uncommon. I had to have an accurate 150 GPM flowmeter for the business. The cost of a new unit was frightening, then I remembered to check eBay - I lucked out and found a really nice NOS electronic meter and ended up buying it for something like 1 cent on the dollar. A few days later I had a much better meter than I otherwise could have afforded, for a lot less money than a cheap one would have cost.

This approach is similar to how I have used Ebay successfully.

The biggest problem with Ebay is that most people use it for their one stop shopping which is exactly what Ebay wants you to do.

That approach will cost you more.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by dan s
                  I can add a little bit to Bob’s comments. When surfing eBay I have found the following helpful.

1. Avoid buy it now auctions unless it’s something you really need. They usually don’t offer much savings.
                  2. beware of used precision items, especially name brand items
                  3. cross check all prices against reputable retailers (msc, enco, travers, online metals, etc)

This is not an endorsement, but prices this item new, and you not going to get it delivered to your door for twice this price. Item number: 180090651553
                  I agree with all your comments.

I will add that I have been told by several calibiration companies that calibirate tools for other companies that all tools that do not meet calibiration are sold on Ebay. I also know of several QA departments that sell their out of cal measuring tools on Ebay. When I questioned the ethics of knowingly selling defective measurement tools (of course without admitting it to the buyer), I was told that it is the buyer's responsibility to detect the problem. So the bottom line is if you are having problems with parts fitting even though they measure correctly on that great Ebay micrometer you bought for a song, it just might not be the parts that are the problem.

TMT

Comment

Most of the suggestions for using eBay are good, but I have to differ on avoiding using the Buy It Now feature. If the price is good and the item is what you are looking for, go ahead and buy it. You will probably get it in a short time, and won't have to wait a weeek only to be outbid.

I offer Buy It Now on occasion, and as often as not, once bidding starts, the final price is more than the original Buy It Now price.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                      Most of the suggestions for using eBay are good, but I have to differ on avoiding using the Buy It Now feature. If the price is good and the item is what you are looking for, go ahead and buy it. You will probably get it in a short time, and won't have to wait a weeek only to be outbid.

I offer Buy It Now on occasion, and as often as not, once bidding starts, the final price is more than the original Buy It Now price.

I have used the "Buy It Now" maybe a half a dozen times because it was an item that I needed soon.

And each time I paid a premium for the priviledge.

And of course this is what Ebay and its sellers had intended.

Like deserts, one once in awhile is okay....using it every time is harmful to your wallet.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
                        In a word, no. I'm not going to spend a bunch of my time to "prove" to you what I am saying. You can take my word or others for it, or not, that's your choice.

You are welcome to take a look at the most recent eBay item #'s I have won:

220084498619: Set of 1200lb capacity casters I will use to build a machinery dolly. $62 for 4. Someone in another thread on these boards said that would cost me $200-400 to buy new. Take a look at McMaster-Carr and see what they cost--it's that much per caster. I looked there before heading to eBay.

290087017910: Brand new NMTB 30 drill chuck arbor by SPI for $44.99. They're over $100 new for anything but cheap Asian knock offs.

230085973272: 600 AC power cord strain reliefs for $1.99. I have no idea what they cost elsewhere, but it ain't $1.99.

150091541982: CNC Machinable Wax. $15.50 for 3 pieces. Enco lists the same brand wax, same size, for $18 each, over 3x this cost.

330088868640: Lot of 10lbs of 6061 aluminum for $15.50. Most places want $2 a pound. A lot of eBay sellers are shops selling off their end pieces. I don't happen to have a local shop pushing those my way, so this happens to be convenient.

280075137579: 5" precision sine bar, Taiwan, not China, $10.50 on eBay, $60 from Enco.

The list goes on. eBay is not the only place I buy, but I have saved a ton by shopping there. This stuff is not screwdrivers, but it ain't exactly electron microscopes either, and it didn't take me 2 hours to find each one. I won all 5 of these right off the bat at prices I considered a significant enough discount to be worthwile.

eBay is not for everyone. If you don't care for it, that's great. The fewer bidders, the better the prices!

Best,

BW
                        "In a word, no. I'm not going to spend a bunch of my time to "prove" to you what I am saying. You can take my word or others for it, or not, that's your choice."

Like I said...time is money.

From your examples, I would say for the most part you use Ebay in the same way that I do. ;<)

TMT

Comment

The thing with E-bay is like with auctions and garage sales, I go to alot where I don't get much but every once in a while there are bargans that make the time worthwile.

Comment

From your examples, I would say for the most part you use Ebay in the same way that I do. ;<)

TMT
                            No kidding? Than what the heck are you spending so much time arguing about? LOL!

TMT, you clearly don't like eBay, and just as clearly, some others have had great success with it. There's no harm in that, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I wish I had more time to debate this, but there are a number of bargains over on eBay waiting for me.

Cheers,

BW
                            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

That is why I like you Bob,a very "to the point" kind of guy.

Comment

tools for sale

For some great tool deals check out datsstuff.com, I see some of our Slater Tools on there every once and a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X