Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of Alistair's shop

Alistair's Shop

Shucks Al, I was hoping to see those 300 Emmert Pattern vises!
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Very, very nice lay-out!!

Comment

Hey, do you find that the pictures take long time to load? I should complain to my ISP if it persists.

Albert

Comment

Alistair,

The laser guide on the compound mitre saw, is that an after market or was it original? I would love to get one for my saw.

Albert

[This message has been edited by Rotate (edited 04-04-2003).]

Comment

Albert, the pictures seem to load VERY quickly for me. About as quick as any I've seen.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Albert can I start off by thanking you for your time and patience for putting my photos on for me it must have been a lot of work thank you very much.The laser is not original to this machine,which is a Scheppech german sliding metre saw I originally bought an Elektra backum from Germany but couldn't get it to work with this machine be careful if buying one not dedicated to a particular machine as they are not easy to fit and set up.The Elektra beckum one was very expensive and I managed to get it to work fine but whenever you brought down the arm of the saw it wandered off course not particularly important as once you set it up what happens to the red line after that doesn't matter ,but it never felt right.Then the new one I had came from a Rexon mitre machine which with the saw cost little more than the Elektra laser alone so I bought it and a friend wanted the saw and I wanted just the laser so I gave the saw to him.The large band saw was bought by me recently you can see the smaller one which because of laziness I still have as it saves me changing from wide to narrow blades all the time the older one can do very nice tight cuts and the big one can do that too but it takes blades from 1/8th to an inch and a half and cuts up to 18" under the guides I am using it mostly for resawing you will see the roller feed off table in later pics which I discussed here with you all at the time.In the background is an older chisel morticer which I restored back to new from a delapidated old machine which lay in a corner of a woodshop.The plastic wheel to tighten up the lever for the downstroke was the only thing which needed to be replaced and cost me a fortune as it was a very unusual left hand thread but I just had to bite the bullet and pay for it as the old one was beyond repair.The doll's house I made thinking in the future of grand-children.It lay on the floor and was too low down to be of any use so I made the table especially for it.You can just see the head of a rocking horse which I also made and in the background several watercolours which I first took up when I was diagnosed with my illness.The next picture is one of my house.The next one is my workshop, the overhang of the roof space is to keep me dry when going in and out.I have not yet built the banister rail.Most of the pictures are self explanatory.The thing on top of the belt sander is a new fence for my router table.The router table is the one that I built and discussed here previously.On some of the pictures you will see the aluminium plate which I used for the router blank and made my own raising mechanism so that the height adjustment could be carried out from above.If you look at the various pictures of this you will see it in different stages of being finished.Alao the Beisemeyer overhead guard and fence system are not real Beisemeyer just my own home made versions.The overhead guard is fitted to an extractor and works in conjunction with the normal extractor fitted to the back of the saw.There are a few more pictures of things I made including the truck.In one picture on the left you will see a Healy sixteen inch disc sander and in the corner a new sharpening station I have built.I would be happy to answer any questions any of you have and also see your shops or work if possible.Thanks again to Albert.
              regards Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

OK....I give up!!!

Those must be computer generated photos. Nobody's shop can look THAT clean and still produce things. Heck.....my wife doesn't keep our dining room table that clean. (Can't say that too loud......she might hear and I'd really be in trouble :-))

Seriously though.....Alistar, you have a wonderful shop. You seem to have just about everything a machinist/hobbiest/woodworker could need. Not sure how you manage to find anything in there, as you certainly have a large assortment of things, but I'm sure you know where everything is.

I'd really like to see a few pictures of your lathes and mill (if you have one).

Best regards,

Rodger
                RPease

Comment

Beautiful Shop Alistar. All that is missing is a picture of yourself.

Comment

Roger the reason I didn't show my main metal lathe is because I just sold it last week and I am currently looking at a newer one with a milling attachment but have talked everyone to death about it already.Dave I thought Albert had enough to look at with the photos I sent him and tried to minimise the photos I had as it was. Big guy with a beard Alistair

Comment

I'm jelous! Very nice!

Comment

Alistair, wonderful shop, wonderful work. Is the chair in the picture of your work one you made? It's a very elegent design.

BTW, I saw a laser guide at a trade show that was fitted in a replacement collor/hub. It operated with a centrifical (sb centripital) switch. It seemed to be a good design, but I didn't care for it. While it would work well for trim, I don't think its acurate enough for furniture making.

Comment

Alistair,looks like you make very fine sawdust! Sure makes my shop look bad,with all your equipment painted or hanging in it's proper place. Beautiful home too! Did you ever figure out how to get the heavy machines uphill to the shop? George

Comment

Alistair,

Really nice shop. You should be really proud of it. I'm glad you had the opportunity to share it with us.

The pictures downloaded instantly on my system for anyone that is interested. My IP operates at about 51k, just about max. of my modem.

Bernard

Comment

Yes David the chair along with most of the furniture, and toys were made by me I designed the chair in the phots along with quite a few others.
                              The reason I wanted you to see my house is precisely because of the hill .That is what I have been trying to get across time and again it has been a nightmare getting stuff into my shop you will see also when you finally look at the shop that it is above ground reached only after climbing the hill and negociating several tight bends and then two small flights of stone steps to get into the shop however so far so good thanks for kind comments.Alistair

Comment

Working...
                              X