more than one person is picking up on mercury in CF lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more than one person is picking up on mercury in CF lights

i see the "elimination of incandescent bulbs" thread is still kicking, but figured this may get lost on folks not following it.

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/I...15026&bypass=1

even electronics industry folks realize there is a disposal problem.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

I agree that it will be a problem IF they are not recycled.

So what is wrong with RECYCLING them?

You should be recycling any and all fluorescent tubes now.

Are you?

TMT

Comment

Are you?
      Where? They don't even have a way to recycle dead CRTs and a 17" CRT has about 5 to 7 lbs of lead in it. That won't stop them from imposing an "enviro fee" here on electronics with lead in a couple of months though. Still no hint of a recycling program.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It seems like all technology had its trade offs and it is a matter wich industry is getting the help of the legislatures.
        Tin
        Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          Where? They don't even have a way to recycle dead CRTs and a 17" CRT has about 5 to 7 lbs of lead in it. That won't stop them from imposing an "enviro fee" here on electronics with lead in a couple of months though. Still no hint of a recycling program.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

TMT

Comment

Sure. Just try to get a permit for a facility intended to handle quantities of waste containing lead and/or mercury.

Comment

I bought 4 CF spots at Home Depot a few days ago. Two have already died. All four are going in the trash.

It is laughable to expect the vendors to deal with dead CF lamps. There's no money in it, and there's a lot of government crap they'd have to deal with. This whole bag of nonsense is going to end up creating polution and interesting 'burial mounds' in remote places. The law of unexpected consequences will kick in.

Some years ago when eagles started showing up in Eastern Puget Sound the public servants decided that nesting eagles needed the full protection of the state. If you were within a quarter mile of an eagle's nest you could forget plowing, mowing, building, maintenance, etc. The result was a lot of eagles went missing. There one day, gone the next.

Nobody is going to drive in from Alice Springs to turn in a bunch of burnt out CF lamps, and I doubt many are going to go further than the curb here in the 'burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

TMT
                I think so, too. I'm going to start hording incandescant lamps. In particular, refridgerator and oven lamps, and full-size Christmas Tree lamps. I'll also have a huge line of decor globes for bathrooms, and candle lamps for chandeliers. And lamp dimmers. When there's none left in the world I'll start offering them as NOS on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                  I think so, too. I'm going to start hording incandescant lamps. In particular, refridgerator and oven lamps, and full-size Christmas Tree lamps. I'll also have a huge line of decor globes for bathrooms, and candle lamps for chandeliers. And lamp dimmers. When there's none left in the world I'll start offering them as NOS on Ebay.
                  the funny thing is, you'll probably get rich doing it.

oh, and i recycle everything i can. i even harass others when i see them throwing an aluminum can in the regular trash. if there was a place near me to recycle CF bulbs (or even regular fluoro tubes) i'd do it. as it stands now, the only place for them is the trash, which ends up in the local landfill.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by andy_b
                    the funny thing is, you'll probably get rich doing it.
                    Not likely, or somebody would surely find a way to make it illegal.

This assinine global warming debate is out of control and the loonies are winning. I nearly shat myself last week when I'd read that bottled water from the Pacific island of Fiji is the 'Hummer' of bottled waters. Now, I'm a Polynesian at heart - and I buy Fiji water first because it helps the economy there and it is rather clean as industries go. Secondly, it is rather good as bottled waters go. Then this article shows up: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007..._calculate.php.

Now understand - it does not matter what Fiji's primary export is, the distance from Fiji to China or Seattle remains unchanged. The cost to ship tarot or bottled water is the same, pound for pound. So that's a red herring. If they produced some smoke stack product, say iron castings for Chinese ox yokes, it would produce even more polution. Same with frozen fish or any other resource they have access to.

So what they have is water. http://www.fijiwater.com/, and it's pretty damn good and it puts a few folks to work in a clean industry, and it is an infinitely renewable resource. The bottles are recycleable. What the hell is the problem here? The problem is the frigging loonies, the same bastids that want to have mercury buried in the backyards of the world have the same idiot ideas about Fijian exports. The arrogant asshat truely believes it's just water and that folks like me are environmental Nazis or worse for buying it and helping feed the Fijians who produce it.

And that whole absurdity about how many gallons of water it takes to create a single bottle of Fiji water - apparently this nit has never seen the Columbia river. Certainly he's never seen the Ba or Rewa rivers in Fiji where 99.9999999% of all of Fiji's fresh water drains into the sea, unused. The artesian water that is actually bottled also goes out to sea by way of seams in the rock that makes up the island. Were it not bottled it would be wasted entirely.

People with no training in science should be prohibited by common sense and common law from commenting on even simple things like this. Especially when they get it soo pathetically wrong.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. Some years back I was listening to some sort of self proclaimed "environment expert" being interviewed on radio about the various environmental "problems" in this area. He was going on about the cattle industry which is a major player around here. We have one of the largest ranches in North America about 50 miles from where I live, the Gang Ranch.

Asked about the ill effects of cattle ranching on the land he started whining about all the shyt they leave on the land.

Now it can be a problem if they are fed up next to a natural water course and the pies freeze in the winter. They melt in the spring runoff and overload the water systems.

That wasn't what he meant though. He was concerned about the general accumulation of cattle excrement on the general landscape and seemed to have no concept that there were cattle all over the landscape long before ranchers came along. Just because there aren't huge herds of buffalo wandering around anymore doesn't mean there never were.

Comment

"Engineer and MBA Pablo Pنster has done a thorough and exhaustive study of the cost of bring a litre of Fiji Water to America."

Did the wanker do a thorough and extensive cost whilst driving his Porsche to his air-conditioned office, while chatting on his mobile broadband/phone, to his executive assistant and publicist?
                        And he was probably washing down his armagnac with an evian.
                        Just got my head together
                        now my body's falling apart

Comment

Just wait a few years. The price of oil will be up there with printer ink and fresh water will cost what oil does today.

Comment

If you look at bottle prices, water already costs more than oil!

Comment

I don't believe these clowns!
                              They sell stills to purify your water, then "Amazing micro water" so you can re-introduce the impurities.

http://www.juicersaustralia.com.au/w...ustralia.shtml
                              http://www.juicersaustralia.com.au/a...ne_water.shtml

Comment

Working...
                              X