Jim's recent project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim's recent project

This is a "cat head" that Jim recently finished for and on his 10 inch Atlas. The bore is bit over 2 inches.

Click here for a bigger picture

[This message has been edited by Rotate (edited 04-04-2003).]

Very nice looking job! I've seen them advertised to hold octagonal ML barrels for cutting threads for breech plugs, but never seen one close up and personal before. This is a good job!!

Comment

It looks like the part with the bolts threw it, holding the rod or barrel, spin in a bearing. If this is true, what did you use for a bearing that large? Is the part with the bolts then pressed in? What is the housing made of?

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT! JOB!

Thanks Bob

Comment

The ball brg. is a light press fit from hd'stk side. Bored with homemade bore head in hd'stk and unit mounted on ways. That kept it close to center. The inner centering piece is a palm push fit held with a locknut. I used mild steel for all but locknut which is Al-Bronze. It is easy to use and very sturdy.
        Jim
        Jim

Comment

Jim

Nice!

Comment

The ones I have seen (even used to have one & gave it away) fitted in the steady rest.

I like the one you made better, always on center, less hassle by far.

Comment

That's where the ball bearing was hiding.

Click here for a bigger picture

Jim, how is the inner race of the bearing fixed to the ring with 4 bolts which holds the work?

[This message has been edited by Rotate (edited 04-07-2003).]

Comment

The clamp piece is pushed through, seal piece slid on , locknut tightened "hand" tight holds all in place.

Jim
                Jim

Comment

Jim
                  I like the flycutter you made too, is that for the lathe or a mill?

Comment

Thrud
                    The MT3 fits the Atlas headstock so as to bore brg recptical "in line". There is a 1/4-28 screw to advance the cutting bit. A dial ind. against the bit reads cutting depth.
                    During use the workpiece is advanced by being pushed by lathe saddle. It had to be pushed in two places evenly so as not to jam.

Jim
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X