Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartford mill, Should i take it?

Hello guys:
    The shop where i work is replacing several old machines with a new cnc machining center, and asked if i wanted an old mill. Well i was excited to say the least.
    It is a 1977 hartford, Looks exactly like a bridgeport of the same era. Tilting head knee type. Model -2s is the only model no. i found. The machine is in decent shape and was in use until yesterday! It needs some work on the speed changer, and the quil locking ring at the top of the spindle. Looks like a ring that is slotted at an angle so when you turn it it tightens the drawbar? It is broken but looks repairable. And they were just leaving the quil locked and using the up/down adjustment of the knee.
    My question is were these machines any good to start with and what are the chances of getting parts for it? It looks like some bridgeport parts may fit it, because from a distance you cant tell them apart. it has a large table maybe 40 ins. or so. Like i said it is a 1977 model-2s, All the movements seam to move smooth and easy.
    What is it worth? I can get it for free! But getting it home will be a challenge, it looks to weigh close to a ton. I dont want to go trough all the work of getting it and moving it if it isn't worth it. or if i can't get parts for it. It is three phase but not a problem for me to cabbage a VFD to run it. If i dont take it it will probally go to the scrap yard. I know very little about these type machines, i do all my work on a smithy 3in1 machine now. And the mill on it leaves much to be desired.
    Any suggestions would be helpfull, what do ya think ??

Your joking right? Hell yes its worth the expense involved in renting a truck and getting it home. Better yet, give it to me, I'll be glad to find a home for it

Comment

If you don't take it, please send me your address so that I may come by and slap some sense into you.

If you paid $500 to have it professionally moved and installed, it'd be worth every penny. If it cost you a further $1,000 for screws, bearings and parts, it'd still be worth every penny. You're being given this thing and questioning whether it's worth it? I just paid $4,000 plus $600 in shipping for a mill, and I thought I got a damned good deal.

That "slotted ring", by the way, is actually part of the clutch mechanism for the high/low range, if I recall.

Doc.

Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

You said that it was in use in your shop within the last few days - I suspect that volumes of information about how well it works/doesn't work could be had over a beer with whatever machinist worked with it......

Comment

tstalcup; we think alike.

Comment

While you're at it why don't you go into the office and ask for the owners manual and whatever else they have on it too. Most shops get the expanded view diagrams and the electrical systems wiring diagrams when they buy a machine. They damn sure get them the first time it breaks down! Also ask them what other parts they have, that are unique to that machine, and get them also. Things like bearings and that new spindle that they bought for some umongous sum and never got around to installing it in the machine! You may be amazed at what all they have for it. You'll know a lot better AFTER you have bought a round or two for the machinist who worked on it for a couple of years!
            Regards, Ken

Comment

Working...
            X