No announcement yet.

Suggest a standard text on engine machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id be boring and go with the 350. All the $$$ youd save on fancy cranks and all, you can spend on some heads which will get you the torque you are looking for. For example, some 305 HO heads on a 350 with dished pistons will give you lots of torque, especially with a long runner intake. The 305 heads wont flow enough at high RPMs to break anything either

The TPI fuel injection systems from the 80's have really long intake runners (longer than possible with a carb) and produce 300 'lbs of torque from just off idle to 4500 rpms in a mild 350...that will get you up a 45* slope pretty quickly. Another option is an old canadian cast iron 2 BBL intake and carb with a 1-2" spacer.
    The canadian intakes do not have the EGR and flow better. All the circle track guys around here grab them up. I can get part #s if you need.
    I think that making a small bore/long stroke 350 would be neat, but would not be the best or least expensive way to meet your goals. Head, intake and cam will get you where you want to be.

Comment

Thanks so much RR,

I'll contact you at the other Email address that you had sent previously. I'll send you a "test message" now. Please send me one back to make sure we're on the same page. Again thanks for all of your very knowledgeable help and guideance.

Best regards, Ken

Comment

Thanks Merf, that's the kind of input I need to help me think clearly. (You think clearly and tell me what you came up with ) Can you give me any sense for the difference in fuel efficiency between a 350 and an aprox 290CI? Someone (Trud?) mentioned a big difference between the smaller SBCs and the 350.

Thrud, one of my first thoughts was to make or buy an adapter (Atlas doesn't make the one I would need, I'd have to get a different model year) I'm comfortable making one myself, but fit is the big problem. There's no room to bring the engine forward, and to move the transmision back would make for some very steep driveline angles even with no lift. Add even a moderate lift and its a real problem. There are ways around it of course but the solution is a bigger headache (CV joints, broken CV joints, having to cut and rotate the pumpkin) I also want to keep the stock transfer case so to slip a new transmision in between the stock engine and the stock transfer case would require an adapter at either end. Also, see my reasons for wanting to get rid of the six, inefficient and difficult to get parts. I know the SBC is not as reliable as the six, but it's a lot easier to work on and get parts for than the Toyota.

Comment

The 350 can be as reliable as you want it to be. My best friend runs a stock car. Just put 48 races over 2 seasons on the motor with nothing more than oil changes and carb tuning. New valve grind, springs,bearings, rings and rod bolts this winter and it will be ready for 2 more seasons!
          If you want to go cheap, you get what you pay for. If you have a good machine shop rebuild it properly (deck plates for boring/honing, properly align lifter bores, etc) and use quality parts, it will be extremely reliable.
          The displacement wont have much effect on the fuel milage. The key ingredients are the heads and cam. Properly sizing the heads to the performance you are seaking then adding the appropriate cam, intake and exhaust will get you where you want to be.
          I mentioned the 305 HO heads, because they have small ports and decent valve sizes. Even 305's with these heads are pretty torquey. With the larger 350 displacement, these ports will have higher velocities at low RPMS (ie torque). Youll need dished pistons because teh 305 heads have 58cc combustion chambers compared to 350s 65-76cc
          The fuel system will really determine yuor milage. TPI (as mentioned) will give the best torque, the best milage due to better part throttle efficiency, and will not be affected by hills and bumps so much. It will also be the most $$$ and possbily the most work to tune depending on cam choice. However, your money will be much better spent on a good fuel system than building a custom long stroke small bore SB.
          The 2 bbl carb with a canadian 2bbl intake and a 1-2" 2 hole space will give you excellent torque, throttle response, reliability and SIMPLICITY. Should be pretty good on gas too. The rochester 2G carb is probably the best choice.
          Quadrajet carbs are my favorite. They are not as easy to tune as a holley, but are a better design. They offer really small primaries for good part throttle economy and large secondaries for power. There is a company called Jet Carburators that custom builds them for different applications...worth every .01

The 350 is the most versatile, best bang for the $ engine in the US. Dont reinvent its strong points; rather customize it to your application. You really dont need anything too fancy for what i think you are trying to accomplish, just a good plan.

Comment

Come'on you guys - you all sleepin' at the back of class?

You should be ripping into me.....I dropped a big one in my last post. The cam timing I posted for the exhaust Peak Opening point was way retarded. Should have put 105* (not 98*), and to advance it to 108* (not 95*) for a stronger exhaust pulse. Like I was saying.....what was I saying, now..... Oh yes sorry about that..comes with having too much paper littered over the desk (that's my excuse!) The overlap will still be as stated at 30* (20* BTDC inlet opening and 10* ATDC exhaust closing) reduced to 27* with the advance exhaust cam point of 108*.

Sorry Ken! and all you other gearheads (good job I re read that post after a few days!!!)

RR

Comment

Uh, yeah...we all noticed that RR. We were just being polite...

Comment

Herb- Hot place is for Killing, stealing AND lieing See you later bud.
                Steve

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

[This message has been edited by Dave Opincarne (edited 04-09-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                  X