Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film at 5

Well 5 teeth that is

Warning 9 meg long or beware if you are on dialup,sorry but I don't know how to edit these and the camera isn't that good anyway.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevens...e/DSCF0561.AVI

This is one of the X3 CNC conversions where the customer wants a 6" rotary table for indexing, gear cutting and general 4th axis work and wanted a demo.

Overall view.

Section of completed teeth.

Code generated inside Mach3 by filling in the boxes inside the conversational programming.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

What, no music?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yes, some Wagner would be great..

I'm back to auto-mechanic here.. Cnc is getting dusty.
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
        What, no music?
        Lucky to get video
        Sorry this is all new to me and the camera leaves a lot to be desired as it's a digital with a bit of movie capability and I don't own a video camera.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I take it the work is a bronze bit on a mandrel. How does it fare in steel?
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Find out tomorrow, it will cut steel it but it will depend on depth of cut and feed, given it's a big cutter at 2 1/4"
            Just found a lower setting on the camera so hopefully the video will be less bulky.

Test milled some conrods for a 5" loco in gauge plate using HSS tooling on Tuesday and the guy was that chuffed he's decided to swap them for the ones on his loco.

Comment

no dancing...

No dancing girls! No music! Just a cnc cutting gears.
              John sex and music sells
              e
              ps. Make sure in the next one you have dancing Chinese Girls!!
              please visit my webpage:
              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

I would of thought with all the tools you got in your shop you'd have a lousy tripod somewhere. I just finished eating some of swmbo's vittles and was working hard just to keep it down and then I get vertigo from watching this video If I put that on the air where I work they'd break the other ankle!
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

YOD,
                  I know it's crap and to think I bollocked someone the other day for posting a video that was as bad as this one.

Comment

Nonsense. Highly entertaining!

Ya gotta love making gears in 4-axis harmony.

I got a set of involute cutters real cheap on eBay I mean to give a try at some point. Hadn't noticed the gear cutter wizard in Mach. What will they think of next? LOL

Best,

BW
                    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

John, I would love to see a full review of an X3 CNC. I have actually considered adding one to my toy collection.

BTW, I think the video size is fine.

Ed

Comment

Good job for a starter. I like the conversational programming in Mach. Now if I could just find the time to start that cnc conversion of the bridgeport. And as seeing everyone else is critique do jour. I would think some directional lighting might be helpful to the poor little camera.
                        Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Bob,
                          If you can program in VB [ I can't ], you can write any wizard you want.
                          Ron Ginger has just written a power feed wizard that you fill in the boxes and it makes 'manual' moves to do simple tasks and clean up blanks etc.

Ed,
                          Can't really do an unbiased review of an X3 CNC as I'm too involved with the kit I make for them.
                          Plenty of people all over, States Oz and the UK have done conversions, there has been two written up in the Model Engineers Workshop by Dick Stevens and Tony Jeffree.
                          Simply CNC did this conversion for a while before changing over to an other make of machine.
                          Some have converted to ball screws, some use the original acme screws, most use the original brackets and bearings. Some belt drive the screws and some direct drive using stand-offs for motor mountings.

I started out with a clean sheet of paper and knew what I wanted to do, scale a 'proper' machine down and if it came out too expensive then it was aimed at the wrong person, ie. if you have to ask the price you can't afford it <g>
                          So my basics were ground ball screws, not rolled, decent sized motors, double angular contact bearings back to back with preload, separate drivers way over speced so they were running cool and if one went it was changeable without having to change all three.
                          A breakout board that controlled the spindle motor, speed range and had a safety feature if Windows went for a wander.
                          Compact motor mounts, all enclosed so it didn't make the machine look like Prince Charles and a purpose built enclosure that fitted the machine instead of a box hung on the side.

This is what I finished up with.

So far I don't know of any other conversion that has all these
                          features, sales at the moment are good with most going to small home based businesses.
                          Two have gone to early retiree's who are making model loco's in kit form.
                          One is making surveillance camera bodies, the rest are serious model engineers.
                          In some ways the high spec / high price is working fine as it sort the crap out and believe me there are some time wasters out there.

Evan,
                          Did a steel gear tonight, just normal mild steel, not free cutting.
                          16 DP, 23 teeth 1/2" face width, 0.140" depth of cut.
                          One pass at 400 rpm with a feed of 2" per minute.
                          Nice finish, video tomorrow of it's mate as it was too dark tonight where the machine is.
                          Hardly much difference from the brass gear except the feed of that was 6" per minute.

Comment

Honest of John to duck out of a review.

Tony Jeffree's conversion article makes a good read - although it differs from John's approach.
                            http://www.jeffree.co.uk/Pages/x3-to-cnc.html

Charles

Comment

Well took a video this morning in lower res so it wasn't as big and it was absolute ****e, even I couldn't see what was happening, so no film until I can get hold of a better camera.

Took a pic of the part finished steel gear.

Slight mistake on the last tooth.
                              Because I was idle I edited the code for the brass gear to cut the first few teeth, just meant altering the angle the 4th axis had to move and drop the feed rate down from 150mm/min to 50mm/min or from 6" to 2" in imperial.

Teeth came out OK to say it is quite a course pitch, 16 DP, and it was cutting in one pass.

UNTIL it came to the last tooth which I hadn't edited, so the blank moved short in the 4th as the brass gear had less teeth and it set off thru the steel gear at 6 in/min.
                              Made it hunker down a bit, more than I would have liked but it went thru and the finish hasn't suffered that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X