On the subject of propane....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the subject of propane....

I've pretty much decided to heat my shop behind the barn with propane. I thought I'd try to keep the tank away from the barn by putting it in a woodline some 50 feet away as opposed to right beside the building with a much shorter line run. Then it occured to me, if the worst that could happen happened, I woudn't be much safer by haveing the tank 50 feet away versus 3 feet away? Is that about right?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

I would think that the main reason is the shortest distance the lower number of problems. H2O freezing in the line if it is buried in the ground but not below the frost line. same as with any flowing line that is subject to condensation. It has been, 20 some years since I flew Hot air balloons,And yes now I just make hot air from both ends most days. But the condensation at the burner would make you wet if the conditions are right.
    And looking at that bang with the underground line up there in Wis or Minn this past fall when a nuber of people were killed when the motel/store filled up over night and the water heater set it off. I'd just as have it close in case it was going to get me. it would do it quicker. than being a crispy critter in a burn ward.
    Besides look how many people live thru a house going away with them in it from gas go bangs.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

This is what OSHA says:

Code:
                         Table H-23
                                 |                           |
           Water capacity per    |       Containers          | Between
              container          |___________________________|  above-
                                 |             |             |  ground
                                 | Under-      | Above-      | containers
                                 | ground      | ground      |
      ___________________________|_____________|_____________|____________
                                 |             |             |
      Less than 125 gals(1)..... | 10 feet.....| None........| None.
      125 to 250 gals............| 10 feet.....| 10 feet.....| None.
      251 to 500 gals............| 10 feet.....| 10 feet.....| 3 feet.
      501 to 2,000 gals..........| 25 feet(2)..| 25 feet(2)..| 3 feet.
      2,001 to 30,000 gals.......| 50 feet.....| 50 feet.....| 5 feet.
      30,001 to 70,000 gals......| 50 feet.....| 75 feet(3)..|
      70,001 to 90,000 gals......| 50 feet.....| 100 feet(3).|
      http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...able=STANDARDS
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Once again, Evan comes through.

Of course, looking at that chart, I'd have to say that if anything "happened", I'd sure like to be more than 50 (underground) or 100 (above ground) feet from a "70001 to 90000" tank of propane.

Unless as PTSideshow said:

Originally posted by PTSideshow
        I'd just as have it close in case it was going to get me. it would do it quicker than being a crispy critter in a burn ward.
        Kinda like people around here used to say before the demise of the USSR. If we got "The Big One" (a "nookewlur" exchange, to the younger folk), I'd rather be in downtown DC than in some distant suburb. In DC, they'll never know anything happened.

-Mark
        The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Talk to your gas supplers, they will have regs that they must go by. Here its 75ft. and it has changed twice in the last 35 years.

Comment

Seems as though having it some distance from the building would give the firefighters a better chance of keeping it hosed down if the place caught on fire.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I live on top a hill overlooking a propane distribution center about 3/4 mile away line of sight. I don't want to even think about the concussion effects of one of the large tanks exploding. I am sure it would wake us up if it happend at night .
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Thanks Evan, you da man!

I'll go next to the shop with two 40 gallon tanks on a manifold. They'll double as spares for my travel trailer.

As for the firefighters, I've already called them and asked them if they wanted to note I had a OA welding setup in my shop and they said no as they treat all fires as though they have hazards in them?
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I live on Cockburn Sound, line of sight to an LPG process/export plant that holds several thousand tonnes. Just down the road is an oil refinery.
                  Don't mean to be facetious, but it's a matter of risk assessment.
                  Would you rather die of hypothermia?
                  Just got my head together
                  now my body's falling apart

Comment

Would you rather die of hypothermia?
                    I understand it is a very comfortable way to go. It is common for people dying from hypothermia to remove their clothing as they are feeling so warm.

Comment

"It is common for people dying from hypothermia to remove their clothing as they are feeling so warm."

try removing your wetsuit when your fingers are blue and numb

Comment

Although I am a good swimmer I refuse to swim in water that is colder than I am.

Comment

I concur,
                          was a time I was young and stupid, dived in winter.
                          Now I'm just stupid, but I no longer indulge in recreational hypothermia.

Comment

I tend to think that the OPSHA standards are more to protect the tank from a burning building than to protect the building from a burning or exploding tank. I would not want to be within 100 feet (the largest distance on the OSHA chart) of even the smallest tank if it exploded. And most building walls would not offer much protection.

But the tanks are quite robust. Had a mess hall fire in Viet Nam. We used propane for cooking and had two person sized tanks (150 gal or so) behind the kitchen. The hoses were on fire with leaking propane for about five minutes and the wall next to the tanks was starting to burn. But the tanks held and a brave lad ran up and shut the valves off. A lot braver than me, I was just thinking of getting out of the area. The fire dept then put the fire out and we were eating in the mess a few days later. If the tanks had gone up, I doubt that the adjacent buildings would have survived.

I'm sitting about eight feet from a 90 gallon cylinder as I write this and I sleep only 20 feet further away.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

All credit to the "brave lad" Paul.
                              No kudos asked for here, but I put out a gas fire under similar circumstances. Galley fire, cook panicked, 2 x 100lb bottles the other side of a frame/fibro wall.
                              My mum didn't raise any heroes, I evacuated.
                              OK, ackchully, I went outside and turned off the gas, then evacuated

Twas a damn close-run thing

There was a point to this rambling reminiscence, oh yeah....

TURN OFF THE FUEL

Comment

Working...
                              X