Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it called and where can I buy one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it called and where can I buy one?

My wife runs a pick your own raspberry farm during the summer, and she's asked me to get her one of those long black hose which when driven over with a vehicle rings a bell (the kind that gas stations use to have before they all became self-serve). First of all, what is it called and where can I buy one?

(Aside. This is where doing Internet search is useless, since you don't even know what it's called.)

Thanks for your help.

Albert

How about a 'pneumatic switch' hooked up to a doorbell?

You might also want to consider a photo switch like is used on garage door openers to make sure they don't close when there's an obstruction.

EDIT: for clarity

[This message has been edited by INTP (edited 04-09-2003).]
    The early worm gets eaten.

Comment

You might try www.TekSupply.com they have all sorts of interesting products for facilities, especially agriculture and animals.
      JHC Dayton, OH

Comment

Check with a service station supply house. Talk to a human who can understand babble and translate it into product nomenclature.

Also consider an infra red entrance annunciator from redio Shack or a motion detector.

Comment

Or a Junkyard Dog tied on a short, stout chain near the entrance.

Comment

It is called a driveway air bell. $75 from National Service Station Supply.$47.95 for 50 feet of hose.
            Home page:
            http://www.thenationalcatalog.com/
            Direct page to bell:
            http://www.thenationalcatalog.com/cg...&SearchFor=n73

Comment

Albert: there are snesitive pressure switches in old washing machines (for water level control- although some do use a timer). All you need is a garden hose and a pressure swith. could even fill the hose with water. could even plug hose, connetct to water with a check valve and switch and buzzzer.

Unless its really high traffic area, there is little need for an expensive hose. switch buzzer. The IR beam is dirt cheap, put it high enough so armadillos, rabits and dogs dont make it trip. Radio shack has the parts on hand.

Comment

The IR beam also works on pedestrians, motorcycles, and bicycles if the folks don't know it is there, or don't care.

The air bell only works on whatever steps on/rolls over it and is heavy enough to set it off.

Comment

is that good or bad oso? couple weeks ago is saw an unusual light at end of drive way, 200 plus yards. This light was moving with rythmn. moved a little and light went off. Step back and it was moving. ambled down toward where the light had been. Half way down I figured out it came from neighbors night light, reflecting from a car window which explained why it was seen only when I stood in one more or less straight line. flipped on the flash light, car almost immediately left. Never really proved what the rythmn was. but basic physics told me the reflecting mirror was moving. Any ideas?
                  Steve (i know this off topic for some reason
                  but the idea of a moving mirror like that just interested me. would have like to ask the people what they were doing. I have a very intersting drive way for some reason)

Comment

We had a ir buzzer in the shop I now work in it worked good only one problem people would come in a stand in the door and let the buzzer ring PITA.also tried a pressure matt same problem.The one thing the ir was good for is you could tell when stuff was being stolen!Two quick beeps in and out and there goes inventory!
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the leads. Now the hard part is to convince my wife that I can build one for her at half the cost...sorry this late, I'm always a little dillusionary. There are certain things life not worth fighting over

Albert

Comment

Albert, Just build one!!!! do it nice and neat, tell her it cost at lot but its worth the money. then use the saved money to buy consumables (she will note the excess money or new tools). Among consumables are some good Irish Malt, Big expensinve cigars, a good detailing for the car- even a box of candy for the wife.
                        You gotta be sneaky sometimes
                        Steve

Comment

Yard type motion detector with a screw in bell, bypass the light-dark sensor, put a light in the other side of the fixture and leave it on all the time.

I did this in my shop, they pulled the siding back but the buzzer went off and the light came on in the shop, the would be thieves ran off.

Comment

ibewgypsie: THat is the cleverest use of motion detectors i have encounterd. I have been asked several times about how to "Alarm" drive ways etc. Only problems is the armadillos set mine off. Less sensitive and I have to get too close. But shields and adjustments should work well. I think i will put one at the end ofthedrive way (see above post). Probably reduce the number of condoms sent to re-cycle or trash.

Comment

Working...
                            X