No announcement yet.

Belt sanders we built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked Lanes table and platen addition to this little sander so much, I cobbled myself one up! Have had quite a few requests for copies on the sander (Michael, I,ll need your email), so thought I would share a couple pix of the platen/shelf that I came up with that you might want as an addition (See what you started George!)

I did like Lane suggested and took a piece of cardboard and trimmed it to the rough shape I wanted, transferred it to some .250 plate and then cut it out on the bandsaw. Had a piece of 3x3x3/16 angle that I trimmed up for the table, took bout hour and half. I've checked it out already 2-3 times today and its quite a nice addition.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

http://www.balconesforge.org/techarticles/sander.pdf

Here's one I built a few years ago...

Comment

I hd to say you did a great job of that. I have a small 2 inch belt linisher sander im my machine shop, and have recently bought a good industrial 12 inch disc with 6 X44 inch belt combination , this should do me for anything I need.However as a project the idea of making one is a big turn on as this looks within my capabilities and looks fun to do well done again!! and kindest regardsAlistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Good job! Looks really nice. I have to put one of those on the to do list.

Comment

Hi could you show me a better view of the top end and tracking please Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Look at georges 3 d pictures he drew. Real plain in his model the screw pushes the bar in and out so the top puller tilts a little to track the belt . Lane
              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by HWooldridge
                http://www.balconesforge.org/techarticles/sander.pdf

Here's one I built a few years ago...

I have been meaning to build your sander!! I been wanting a knife grinding belt sander for sometime and I found your plans that you posted somewhere on line. It was a crappy copy of what you posted. I have the plans saved.

i have the motor and the base but just havent dont anything with it. Glad to know your a member of this fine group.

Its amazing what a good belt sander with a good belt can do!

Comment

Alistair, see if this helps any.

Comment

George:

A quick queston. Is the 14 3/4" dimention for the "spine" for a 42" belt or a 48"? If for the 42" would you just add 3" for the larger size?

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                      .............................................Anywa y, I recommend these type grinders. Mine will never get bolted down (unless I get a couple more). Today I used it by the lathe and across the shop at a mill.
                      I thought of my Wilton 2x72 belt grinder like a writer thinks of a conjunction. You can do things with one of these in seconds that would take hours to do on a lathe, mill, shaper.....etc.

And now, if I might take this auspicious occasion to bring you a wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_conjunction
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

This is my rendition of his design pics and drawings here

Comment

Well, as long as we are ripping off and duplicating, here is one that might be worth stealing some ideas from. There is a neat belt sander at 6:48 in this video. 4 pulleys, articulated, removable platen, removable table. Actually 5 pulleys - one above the main drive wheel to add some support when platen is removed. I think it was made by Delta/Rockwell. Looks like Frank ford has a similar model. Don't think you can get them anymore. Enco 163-4512 is the closest I have seen - and it would need all the modifications (except adding a disc sander) undone.

The one in this thread lacks the useless covers and guards that get in the way of using the versatility of such a machine (and are sometimes integral parts of the structure) so would be easier to modify.

Comment

Please Realize These Are Belt Grinders,not Sanders!!!!!!

Comment

OK, I give up. What's the difference?
                              Is it like a black bird and a raven sort a thing?

--Doozer
                              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by whitis
                                Well, as long as we are ripping off and duplicating, here is one that might be worth stealing some ideas from. There is a neat belt sander at 6:48 in this video. 4 pulleys, articulated, removable platen, removable table. Actually 5 pulleys - one above the main drive wheel to add some support when platen is removed. I think it was made by Delta/Rockwell. Looks like Frank ford has a similar model. Don't think you can get them anymore. Enco 163-4512 is the closest I have seen - and it would need all the modifications (except adding a disc sander) undone.

The one in this thread lacks the useless covers and guards that get in the way of using the versatility of such a machine (and are sometimes integral parts of the structure) so would be easier to modify.
                                I built one like that one 35 years ago and its still going. Plans and pics here

Comment

Working...
                                X