Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the going price for scrap yard aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the going price for scrap yard aluminum?

I just got back from one of only a very few yards in my area. I bought enough metal for all the projects on the table.

I was charged 2.00 per lb. for aluminum and .35 per lb for steel.

I thought the aluminum was all but new price.

Any thoughts?
    Life Is Grand

Today's spot price for LTL (less than truckload) used mixed sorted clean aluminum is 32 cents per lb USD.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Aluminum prices

Last time I bought it was $1.45-ish, per pound. That was about two months ago, in Columbus, OH.

Mike P
      Mike P
      1919 13" South Bend Lathe
      1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

The highest price today is for bare aluminum wire since it is pure aluminum at $00.96 per lb.

The problem with alloys is that they must be rerefined to reuse the metal.

Comment

I bought 92 lbs of alum. for 184.00 I think this is price for new. What I got is scrap. Its all scrap, I think I was taken.

I thought alum. price was down not up.

I will check with a few new dealers and see what they charge for new. I bet close to what I paid.
          Life Is Grand

Comment

The thing is, there isnt just one price for aluminum.
            The price goes up and down daily, based on the London price for 40,000lb lots.
            today's London price, as far as I can tell, is about $1.36 lb, if you buy it in 20 ton lots, for cash. This is for pure aluminum ingots- no alloys, no post ingot processing, and no shipping.

Of course, to make 6061 out of this, then roll it, then extrude it, then ship it to your local supplier adds quite a bit.

And different alloys add varying amounts to this. Different shapes cost different amounts per pound.

So the whole thing is pretty murky.

The only way to tell if you have been cheated or not is to call other local places that will sell you the exact same alloy and the exact same profile. This week.
            If you base it on 3003 sheet, 6 months ago, well, its not comparable to 6061 flat bar next week.
            And most aluminum quotes are only good for a week or two right now.

Comment

I've been buying scrap from the same place for about eight years now so I may be getting a better price than the non-regulars. I don't know but I sure don't complain. They'll even let me run a tab when I find a piece and didn't bring enough cash or left the check book at home. The last price I paid for 6061 aluminum drops was $0.45/lb. For steel and iron I pay $0.12/lb. I used to pay ten cents a pound but it wet up last year.

Personally, I think you got ripped on the aluminum. At least you got the steel cheaper than I could send it to you.

Forgot to mention: I'm a pretty good customer for them. I've purchased a punch press, golf cart, machinery parts, lawn tractors, engines and a whole slew of tractor parts. Not to mention steel plate and angle iron--New and scrap.
              Last edited by CCWKen; 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Well Kem... a bit late to shop around for price... the time to say sounds a bit high for scrap is when they tell you the price and before you've paid. Best way to look at this is you were happy to pay that at the time of purchase when you got your needed supplies. But I'd call around before purchasing next time for sure.
                Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

I've been buying off a guy on ebay. I think even with shipping he's cheaper than the Metal Super Market in this area.

http://stores.ebay.com/SpeedyMetals-COM-1-888-744-4140
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

http://www.recycle.net/ Scroll down to the flavor of scrap you want and it will list the spot current price with complete description of what it is. The problem is he will sell it for what he can get in his area. New #8 bare wire is selling for $12.43 USD per pound. My local scrappy is getting $3.00/poundUSD. 21 feet in a pound. Last price check at home despot a couple weeks ago was $174.00USD 500foot .62/foot
                    $13.02 for 21 feet so with the price break at the despot for a whole spool. 3 bucks a pound is still a good price. ya pays your money and ya takes ya chances. Still only 3 darts for a Quarter! Sorry I got carried away in the old days.
                    Glen
                    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Klem:
                      in todays market I would not say $2.00 a pound is bad IIRC I paid $1.75 the last time I bought any at the yard about 20 miles away.I heard The scrap dealer that sells @ Cabin Fever was charging $4.00LB this past show. It varies depending on the commdities market and the profit margings of individualy dealers. Years ago I was looking into pot metal(Zinc) for casting the local yard Paid .02 per pound and charged $.98 of you bought it from them . Talk about mark up!!!
                      Tin
                      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

There isn't any point in comparing the price of scrap with the price of new stock unless the scrap is the same and identifiable as such. To the scrap dealer the worth is the current truckload price of scrap which for 6061 drops is 43 cents/lb today. If he can get more from you he is laughing all the way to the bank. If he asks $2 you tell him the current truckload price and wave some money at him. Offer $1.00. If argues ask him for certificates on the metal. When he says "it's scrap, what do you expect?" you say "OK, how about 75 cents?".

Comment

Originally posted by cybor462
                          I just got back from one of only a very few yards in my area. I bought enough metal for all the projects on the table.

I was charged 2.00 per lb. for aluminum and .35 per lb for steel.

I thought the aluminum was all but new price.

Any thoughts?

I don't think $2.00 is far out of line. Lots of factors....was the aluminum fairly clean and identifiable, how much did you buy, are you a regular customer, etc, etc.

Based on the guy's price for steel at $.35/lb, you probably got the going price in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Falcon
                            Klem:
                            in todays market I would not say $2.00 a pound is bad IIRC I paid $1.75 the last time I bought any at the yard about 20 miles away.Tin
                            Fazzio's?

I go there every time I get back to South Jersey.
                            Jim H.

Comment

Shoot - scrapyard near hear charges $0.30/lb for scrap steel. I haven't complained because i sat down and figured out that it was still 750% cheaper than what the going rate for round rod at home depot was. Plus, HD only carries up to 1/2" now, so the junkyard is the only place i've found thats close and has 2" and larger round "in stock".

Should i be trying to haggle this guy down? I don't think it'll work - i'm just a skinny kid after all. He'll tell me to beat it and not come back.

Comment

Working...
                              X