Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help from an Atlas MF mill owner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from an Atlas MF mill owner...

I'm reassembling my shiny new Atlas MF horizontal mill, which is of course neither shiny nor new.

It came to me partially disassembled, but with lots of paperwork, parts and accessories. However, the one thing I'm missing is the jackshaft-to-spindle pulley; it's apparently two shivs, and uses a fat belt. Fatter than the motor-to-jackshaft belt anyway.

Commerical off-the-shelf pullies, at least those available locally, are too narrow a groove for the belt, besides which, I don't know if they're anything close to the correct diameter. I can guess based off the photos I have, but that's about it.

If you have an MF, could you please give me some relevant dimensions off the jackshaft pulley? I need the overall OD of both shivs, the width of each shiv groove at it's widest, and the center-to-center distance between the two shivs (though I can get that off the spindle pulley.)

I have some 3" and 4" round aluminum bar, and I can make the pulley, I just need to know how big to make it.

Thanks.
    Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

While I don't have a mill at hand, If it is the double pulley on the jackshaft, it should be a mirror image of the pulley on the spindle.

It is a dog to access for measurements I know, but it is not too difficult to remove the spindle, and it is not a bad idea to do so to inspect and clean the bearings and other bits and replace the belt.
    Jim H.

Comment

Atlas pulley

Dims from pulley on mine:
      Large OD= 3.23
      Small OD= 2.35
      Width= 1.49
      Groove= 0.62

I used Browning Grip Twist B20-72 to make the belt.
      Russ H

Comment

edited: For once I had the right answer but your question was all wrong!
        Last edited by Your Old Dog; 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Since Sears Roebuck used to carry these machines, you can got to their parts site (http://www3.sears.com) for the IPB and parts list. Sears distributed the Atlas MFC as Model Number 101.15500.

There were some differences in the number of grooves/pulley depending on the model.

Clausing will sell you the drawing of a part (if they have the drawing) for a modest fee - about $5 last time I ordered one. You'll need the part number. The phone number is at: http://www.clausing-industrial.com/service-std.htm

There is also a Yahoo group called Atlasshaperandmillingmachineusersgroup at: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...ineusersgroup/

There's a lot of good info here.

Comment

Thanks Russ, just what I needed.

I used a chunk of 3" bar, so the OD of the larger side is a bit under, but it appears to work. As soon as I have a chance to wire the motor, I'll give it a test.

Took just under three hours, start to finish.

Doc.

Comment

Dear Sir, could you tell me the full measures, width and diameter pulley with a drawing of the large pulley please?

regards
              M.VB

Comment

Originally posted by Marcello View Post
                Dear Sir, could you tell me the full measures, width and diameter pulley with a drawing of the large pulley please?

regards
                M.VB
                You do realize that this thread is over eight years old?
                "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

It's OK. The mill is even older.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by Marcello View Post
                    -Sorry. I sold the mill several months after posting this. It was just too small for my needs. And as it turned out, I had the original pulley in with the other parts that came with it, so I removed this shopmade one and put the original on. I may even still have that aluminum one floating around somewhere. If I do- and I can find it- you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping and maybe a small donation to the Mt.Dew Fund.

Doc.

Comment

Working...
                    X