Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: This homebuilt wind turbine looks interesting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: This homebuilt wind turbine looks interesting!

I've had more than a casual interest in this as I live out in the open and the wind rarely stops blowing. Not only that, but I wouldn't have to mount it 200 feet in the air to anoy neighbors with ugliness!

I don't think these folks are doing anything most members of this board couldn't do reasonlably well.

http://www.otherpower.com/wisc06.html

It would be neat to have free (relatively speaking) for the back yard barn light. Wonder how bad battery cost would eat into the fun for something worth building?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

I dont think that making the fan is the problem as I see it, its just the ability to adjust the blades so they dont break apart in high winds.
    I think the professionally built fan blades feather and so limit the max speed.
    Just my 0.02p worth!
    Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

I think self-regulation is built in. Instead of featherin the blades they yaw the whole assembly to spill wind and limit speed.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

if you've not seen one up close, the commercial ones that is, its amazing how large these things are. ...and the one in Toronto that i see all the time is but a pup. The blades do feather to control speed, at up 40m radius, they'd better as the tip speed would produce a sonic boom at 85 rpm if something didn't fly apart first!

http://www.eurotrib.com/files/3/0507...sur_camion.jpg
        http://www.lmglasfiber.com/dz/A001702_32_4.jpg
        http://www.windpower.org/res/robladck.jpg

Comment

I was in the Isle of wight a while back looking at boats, I happened upon what i took to be 3 hulls for the most massive trimaran I had ever seen ,packed for shipping.After a bit of puzzling over the hullform i realised the hulls where in fact blades for a wind turbine , absolutely huge,starting with a round flange at the base of the blade and stretching into atwisting knife edge.

I dont know why anybody would have an issue with turbines , I live down wind from a power station, despite the "scrubbed" exhaust the fumes somedays....................
          i would much rather have 10000 turbines spinning away.

re batteries.
          I had a relative who lived in scotland , her father was killed in the war , and as a result the house was frozen in time ,actually it was frzen in several eras ,the latest being about 1920-1939. After tour of premises I was shown the generation plant. the house was wired for something like 110 volt DC(not shure exactly) but due to the wire have long ago lost its insulation properties lighting the house by electricity wasimpossible
          ther was a big old kelvin , polished like the day it arrived , in its own room with exhasut going down in the ground , and emerging somehre far away, and
          in another couple of rooms removed from the machinery, rows and rows of
          what looked like fish tanks, lead acid batteries, big wicker bottles for sulphuric acid even the teak boxes they came in .....

the childrens job(2 girls) had been to keep the genny maintained ,and the batteries up , and on she had kept doing this for the next 50 years, even though it was all unservicable .
          so the procedure was to fire up the genny during the day and charge up banks of lead acid batteries, then at night flick between banks to keep the lights constant.

so there you go roll your own batteries!a lead acid battery is asimple thing .
          Last edited by thistle; 03-15-2007, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Thistle, you've nailed it.
            It's no big deal to generate power, storage is the problem.
            We're still stuck with lead-acid batteries
            Just got my head together
            now my body's falling apart

Comment

I have a friend who lives off the grid in Kansas. He does wind generation iwth power stored in lead-acid batteries. Modern electronics helps with power conversion between DC and AC, and with voltage matching on charging. He's found he can buy used storage batteries from the phone companies, since their relay towers seem to have battery backup. A year or so ago he was collecting some up Nebraska way and headed back with them on the highway. One came off the trailer, which besides being a loss of a battery, meant he now faced a hazardous waste cleanup mess from the authorities. Bummer.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I just think it would be a kick in the pants to power say a yard light off batterys and do it with a tubine you built from scratch as they are in this article. To me it looks like they made everything but the magnets !!

We got some of the 200-250 footers in our neighborhood and they are a blight on the countryside. Nothing at all like the charm of Holland windmills. These turbines are state of the art and only seem to work on the highest hills that can stand as monuments to the companys who build and benefit by them. I'd just like one on maybe 40 feet tower in the back yard just to see what it would do and how long it would last.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

One slightly strange thing about the "Otherpower" website seems to be a reluctance to discuss the output of these things.
                  After looking down the page, I think they were getting about 1 kw from their 10 footer (diameter of blades?) in a strong breeze, expecting 600 - 800 watts. So you could possibly power your lighting needs from one of these (if you use modern energy saving type bulbs). We need more!

Comment

Working...
                  X