Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodworking dovetail jig??? You made one??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking dovetail jig??? You made one??

Hey guys...I'm getting back into the woodworking biz! Anyone made their own dovetail jig(for 1/2" dovetails)? Not too hard but I need some info on backspacing etc.!
    Thanks!`
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Leigh has an excellent support page, with all that info, big yellow lathe and horizontal milling monster, you otta have one done by mornin'

http://www.leighjigs.com/support.php

Comment

I bought a used Kellar jig off Ebay for $15,I couldn't buy the aluminum for that.

That being said the Stots master template is the way to go if you want t make your own jig.

http://www.stots.com/tm.htm

You buy the template(about $40) and then buy the bits(about $20) and then use them to make whatever width of jig you want.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by torker
        Hey guys...I'm getting back into the woodworking biz! Anyone made their own dovetail jig(for 1/2" dovetails)? Not too hard but I need some info on backspacing etc.!
        Thanks!`
        Russ
        Unless you want to make a "special" one somehow, no need to reinvent the wheel. Porter Cable has some ridiculously cheap ones that work fine for machine type dovetails. Much better than the total POS ones that Sears used to sell years ago. Or you can step up to the plate and get a really proper one like the Omnijig from Porter Cable

Comment

Originally posted by D. Thomas
          Unless you want to make a "special" one somehow, no need to reinvent the wheel. Porter Cable has some ridiculously cheap ones that work fine for machine type dovetails. Much better than the total POS ones that Sears used to sell years ago. Or you can step up to the plate and get a really proper one like the Omnijig from Porter Cable
          I agree the 'Omni Jig' is a very sturdy tool, massive base casting, and strong eccentric hold downs. However, if I were to ever own another shop, I would purchace Leigh Jigs again. It has a unique feature in the guide system in that the templates have a taper on the guide edges which matches the taper on the router base guides.

The tapered guide is threaded into an adapter plate affixed in the standard router base plate. This permits the tapered guide to be raised and lowered, effectively accomodating 'micro' adjustments in the final cutting width.

This is particularly important when dealing with materials of different composition, hardness, moisture content, fibre structure, grain direction, glues, and fit-up. Additionally, Leigh sold HSS tooling in 8mm shanks, stiffer/stronger than the typ 1/4" for small work.

We had 3 dedicated Porter Cable 691 "D" handle routers for production rather than swapping out cutters. 1 for hogging in hard/abrasive materials, then 1 for pins, 1 for tails. The CNC guy down the street could knock out special profile templates in a matter hours for us on special jobs that might require subsequent production that we kept in inventory. Much safer than resetting the adjustable templates. Lloyd

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I've checked around and the prices now do make it seem useless to build your own.
            Russ

Comment

yeh.......well.............check into component supply places............if yer doing "standard" drawer boxes.............cheaper buy um !!!

walzcraft.com

little shop here.............aint worth me settin up to do a dozen or so

Comment

LODog, he said 1/2 inch dovetails so I presumed he meant standard machine type dovetails with pin and tail same size, and you cut both in the same pass (drawer side and drawer front clamped 90 degrees in jig)

The Leigh jig doesn't do machine dovetails, only "hand" dovetails.

FWIW, Porter Cable just introduced a new Omnijig model that is like combining the old Omnijig and the Leigh. Saw 2 page ad for it in Woodworkers Journal today. Apparently Leigh patents finally ran out.

Comment

DT..that's what I meant.
                  These are oddball size drawers I need to build and see very hard usage.
                  The usual store bought drawers don't stand up so I'm making them some heavy duty boxes and drawers.

Comment

By far the best jig I ever owned and used, was the Leigh.
                    Just got my head together
                    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Working...
                    X