OT? Saw for Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT? Saw for Wood

I have to make some wood parts with oak. Recurring need, I hope, but just middle size batches, like 25 or 50. Size is only 3/4 x 2 x 8 overall but will require both rip and crosscuts. And I need the power to make the cuts quickly. So I need a saw for wood.

I've done some wood work and am familiar with the general types of wood saws, but not necessairly the latest and greatest. And I am limited in shop space so the smaller the better.

My first thoughts are that a small table saw would be best. It could make all the cuts I need and it is easy to add fixtures for repeated cuts. But they are somewhat large and heavy, so hard to move around. I also thought about the Miter style saws, but they don't do rip cuts. But an 8" rip cut might be managed with the proper jig, if it had a 8" crosscut capacity.

I really want something I can store under the bench when it is not in use.

I don't want much, do I? Anyway, perhaps someone knows of a model that might meet most if not all of my wants. All ideas will be appreciated.

TIA
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Unless you buy the additional "wings" for a table saw they're not that big. And, they unbolt from the stand. I think you can buy them without a stand. They're "bench top" table saws. The table saw was made for what you want to do. I sure can't think of a better tool. While I don't use mine every day, It sure would be hard to live without it. Kind of like a 4-jaw chuck. I make room to store it.

Comment

Something to consider would be a Delta deluxe Sawbuck Frame & trim saw. go to Google for information. After use it can be folded and stored. I have had good luck with mine for many years.
      re
      Herm Williams

Comment

Nice cross-cut saw but how do you rip with it? It specifically says, "DO NOT use ripping blades or combination blades".

This is just a sample of what's available. This one is $95 but it's only 1/2hp.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h8145

Comment

wood saw

Hello,
          Look at the small makita table saw 8" you can set on saw horses I have one and it will do almost anything you want. The reason I bought one is watching the hardwood floor guys they had one that was mistreated every day and still would cut as close as I could measure.I mounted mine on a piece of 3/4 plywood with a handle cut on one side can hang on the wall when not in use. This saw has done everthing I have asked of it and done it well.
          Richard

Comment

http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/tri..._catalogue.pdf

Page 13

franco.

Comment

If you're talking about oak plywood you'll need a table saw. But be advised, a 4x8 sheet of plywood on a cheap saw with a cheep fence is really difficult to rip properly. It's not all that easy on the 10" cabinet saw that I have.

If you're talking about 3/4" Home Depot dressed oak boards you can easily do that with a mitre saw and they store easy. My $200 Craftsman miter has a laser and is a joy to use.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Sounds like a job for a small radial.
                Easy crosscut, or swing the head 90° to rip.
                Not too heavy on the wallet or the back. Not too big a footprint.
                Just got my head together
                now my body's falling apart

Comment

come on over and use my new one! (poorly disguised gloat)
                  "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

I have a Makita 2703X I'll sell you.

You should also consider the Bosch 4000 with the fold up legs with wheels. Excellent saw. Fits against the wall when not in use.

For 4x8 sheet goods use a good circular saw and some styrofoam insulation. Lay the insulation down on the driveway or basement floor and put the sheet on top. Cut away. If the saw blade hits the styrofoam it's no big deal. Make your own straight edge.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I said 2 INCH X 8 INCH oak lumber, not plywood. If I was going to cut plywood I would use my stands, my circular saw, and a straight edge to guide it. This makes nice straight cuts in plywood. This job is considerably smaller.

Originally posted by RichardG
                      Hello,
                      Look at the small makita table saw 8" you can set on saw horses I have one and it will do almost anything you want. The reason I bought one is watching the hardwood floor guys they had one that was mistreated every day and still would cut as close as I could measure.I mounted mine on a piece of 3/4 plywood with a handle cut on one side can hang on the wall when not in use. This saw has done everthing I have asked of it and done it well.
                      Richard
                      Interesting. I have to look this one up. I didn't think of setting it on saw horses. I have a pair of those stands that fold up and have a wood vise top. They should hold it nicely.

Thanks!
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                        Sounds like a job for a small radial.
                        Easy crosscut, or swing the head 90° to rip.
                        Not too heavy on the wallet or the back. Not too big a footprint.
                        We have a radial at work. It is anything but small. Do you have any specific brands or models in mind?
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by plastikosmd
                          come on over and use my new one! (poorly disguised gloat)
                          Nice saw. How big is it overall? Brand & model & price?
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by pgmrdan
                            I have a Makita 2703X I'll sell you.

Where are you? How big is it? How much?
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

thanks!
                              saw is a hammer..not sure of the realtionship between felder/hammer..but pic of assembled is here
                              http://usa.felder-gruppe.at/?page=ma...2c0897704fadb4

sliding table alone is 78" in length, i think outrigger is then another 52". this is a saw/shaper combo machine, with a slitter saw (handy when cutting laminate). price =now the most expensive tool i own. but put a 8ft sheet of ply on it and cross cut with one finger..makes ya smile

scott
                              "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Working...
                              X