Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    I have a 24 inch 3 phase dewalt it is awsome for cutting .I use it purely for crosscutting with a 108 tooth blade it cuts like a laserAlistair

Leave a comment:

• RollaJohn
    replied
    Originally posted by speedsport
    RollaJohn,
    I saw you reply about the blades. Can you please explain to me the differences in table saw, radial arm saw and mitre saw blades?. And please also explain how the radial arm saw will self feed with the wrong blade installed. enquireing minds want to know.
    The difference is in the hook angle of the teeth. The more positive the angle in relation to the radius line of the blade, the more aggressive the cutting action. Radial saws and miter saws will usually be tamer when the angle is on line with the radius or leaning slightly backwards. The hook angle is usually stated in the blade specs. either posted on the blade or from the manufacture's literature.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Lots of Rodeo cowboys from Henryetta, ever hear of Jim Shoulders?
    Why of course I have Probably one of the best all round cowboys there ever was. I didn't know he was from Henryetta though. I was a young kid when he was the top of the heap.

Leave a comment:

• speedsport
    replied
    Lots of Rodeo cowboys from Henryetta, ever hear of Jim Shoulders?

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Ooops...I just checked...Roy is (now) from Durant. I was pretty sure he was from Henryetta but could be wrong. Was 25 years ago I met him.
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Don't know Roy Cooper but Henryetta is only 60 miles down the road.
    Speed...Roy was the World Champion Calf Roper for 7(?) years during the 80's. His boy is following his footsteps. I met Roy once...is a pretty good kinda guy. You'd never know he was a many times champ.

Leave a comment:

• speedsport
    replied
    Don't know Roy Cooper but Henryetta is only 60 miles down the road.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    torker,
    I have a 16" DeWalt radial arm saw, 3phase. I had the motor rebuilt and have never used it. Great condition. It's the "double compound" model. I have since retired and will never use it. Whats it worth, I need to do something with it cause it's in the way.
    Geez...you have a real saw there. I got to use one of those the odd time at the old Beaver lumber yard here. Things are built like tanks. Wish you wheren't so far away. Hmmm...wonder if Roy Cooper still rodeos up here(he's from Henryetta(sp) isn't he?...we could maybe get him to throw it in his horsetrailer
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• speedsport
    replied
    torker,
    I have a 16" DeWalt radial arm saw, 3phase. I had the motor rebuilt and have never used it. Great condition. It's the "double compound" model. I have since retired and will never use it. Whats it worth, I need to do something with it cause it's in the way.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Here's an interesting experiment I did with the el cheapo delta portable table saw. I tried all our blades on it, the expensive ones. First off, let me say that there's very little play in the blade arbor, surprisingly little to me. There's flex in the motor mounting bracketry, though. Anyway, the 'junk' blade performs well enough on the larger saw, but cuts a wide kerf on the portable. With the best blade, it makes a much, much better cut than with the supplied blade. The balance of the blade seems to make a very large difference with the portable saw. It now has a blade on it which costs more than the saw itself. The cut it makes with a sharp and balanced blade is amazingly good.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry Paul but I just saw your post. I should have gotten back to you sooner.

Shoot me an email at pgmrdan at hotmail.com. Of course, you'll need to remove the blanks and, well you know what to do.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by awake

Out of curiosity, did they routinely use these radials to do rip cuts? Again, not that one can't rip on a radial, but I would be surprised if it were the first choice for ripping, especially in a production environment.
    That's obviously a silly question...it was a factory...pumping out thousands of windows a year. They had four big tablesaws with powerfeeders for ripping.
    The radials were setup for crosscuts(inc angles) and two had dado heads on them. OH MY!!! Dado heads....whew...scary! They worked fine actually.
    Radials will "self feed"...if you don't hang on to them or are scared..lol! But so will my chop saw or an ordinary skil saw....if you don't know what you're doing.
    I used to repair antique furniture and reproduce old timey mouldings for houses. A radial saw with a moulding head was often the best way of doing this. I've used a radial to dado the ends of heavy timbers etc(tilt the head over so the blade runs flat)...try that on a tablesaw.
    The whole point here is that a radial shouldn't be overlooked.
    Funny thread...I'm at this moment equipping my third cabinet shop. New cabinet saw is coming in Monday and I'm still looking for a used 660 Dewalt radial. My favourite light radial saw!
    No...I'm not getting out of the metal "sport"...just can't stay away from sawdust
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• speedsport
    replied
    blade explanation

RollaJohn,
    I saw you reply about the blades. Can you please explain to me the differences in table saw, radial arm saw and mitre saw blades?. And please also explain how the radial arm saw will self feed with the wrong blade installed. enquireing minds want to know.

Leave a comment:

• TECHSHOP
    replied
    Sorry, then there Paul Alciatore...

Wasn't trying to ignite a "flame war".

I spent a lot of time both using tools and selling tools at retail, and am endlessly aggravated by the "tool review of the month" magazine readers who think that the "latest tool is the greatest tool" and are "true believers" of the advert hype; and then having more than once been paid by the above type of tool buyer to shove an 10' long 2" thick oak or maple board at a 8 1/4 blade spun by a 9 amp motor...

I think that a table saw, radial arm saw, and SCMS are all different tools, with a large area of overlap in use. The "complete ideal shop" will more than likely have all three, made by the same manufacturer

Me, I get by with a table saw, and one of those "arm-powered push-pull saw" miter boxes.

Leave a comment:

• RollaJohn
    replied
    Agreed, the handheld circular saw with a straight edge makes a good system to break 4' x 8' sheet goods to 4' x 4' pieces. Heck, take away the straight edge and it does the curved shapes too .

Where I used to work they ripped 3/8" plywood into 5 7/8" x 96" strips. They would go through 16 + bundles each year. Don't know if they used that 12" DeWalt radial arm because it was the best choice or just that was what they already owned. They did this each year for over 20 years that I worked there; and were doing this when I started and are still doing it this way today.

The company was like many others. They would squeeze their pennys; but could spend a million dollars for other things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X