X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neville Shute web site

The Neville Shute web site is at http://www.nevilshute.org/

Comment

Norm - you might not believe this - but its true.

Deleted/edited-out
      Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Trustee from the Toolroom

Nice one-Old Tiffie- you tell them! Another Trustee from another Toolroom.
        Moreover, your story checks out with my records. You are a tad younger but I am not jealous- yea, I am!

You tell 'em what life is all about. No books written by creeps, eh?

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
          the other was the "Sea Fury" which was the marine version of the "Mustang" (or was it the "Hurricane" I can't remember - not sure), both of which as you say served in Korea.
          Hawker Sea Fury wouldn't have been a variant of either as it has a large radial engine. Had at one time the speed record for propeller driven aircraft, IIRC.

it did replace the "Seafire" naval Spitfire version, which was not a successful aircraft for carrier use, so there is a connection there.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

tiffie,

Fairey built the Gannets. I remember this because I owned another very different aircraft built by Fairey at one stage - a Tipsy Nipper - one seat, 45 HP and 660 pounds all up weight. Also saw the remains of a Gannet at Bankstown airfield which had been convincingly written off in the late fifties or early sixties if I remember correctly - not a pretty sight.

franco
            Last edited by franco; 06-29-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I was lazy and incorrect

Deleted/edited-out
              Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Dead right

Deleted/edited-out
                Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks, aviemoron & oldtiffie

A while back, I asked a question here, and never did get a "proper" answer, but now I think the answer is:

I say no more.
                  Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

In another of my World's, I am going to see a bloke who had Faireys.
                    This time, Fairey made sailing dinghies and the bloke has a couple. well, in keeping- he is an engineer and a model one- and he has a workshop in the house with flock wallpaper. There is hope for all mankind- but I ask you?

So here is a question. I am corresponding with a certain gentleman about my time in the RAF and a crash was involved. We had our share-Old Tiffie- and it still hurts!
                    We mentioned RAF Hendon. In the 1930's there were Air Pageants or Displays attracting thousands of visitors. I was too poor and too young to go to such a thing but I recall a photograph of a flight of Hawker Hinds or Harts- or one of the variants. Techshop, it was probably 1937 and that would make it 70 years ago and I was 7! The photograph was called 'the Bombing of Port Hendon' and a hangar had been hit with bombs. Of course, it was a set up.
                    Now, I haven't gone off track because the hangar was-- the Grahame White Company hangar. Does anyone have this photo or perhaps the cine film?
                    Please don't suggest the RAF Museum- I know probably more than they do.

Going off at a very different tangent- does anyone have photos of the Joint British Scandinavian Expedition to Antarctica in 1949? The clue is Austers with skis or floats.

I will not be on line for perhaps a month so perhaps my E-Mail add would help

It's [email protected]

My thanks

Norm

Comment

Franco,

Am I going nuts?

Does the registration OH-TIP or OH-TIT mean anything?
                      It is going through my brain

Norm

Comment

hendon

Deleted/edited-out
                        Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Much obliged, old son but this is weird.
                          This was 1937-ish and it was an Air Display photo.
                          Again, it was old HMS Manchester out at sea going her big gun practice out of the mouth of the River Tyne. She figured in the sinking of the Bismark.
                          The Stringbags mistook her and happily, the wrong triggers were fitted to the tinfish. I've got it right. Done the classic association of ideas in Pelmanism thing!

But here comes the weird bit. I saw the whole scenario again. The date was 21st April 1949- and I stood and watched the almost same oily flames, at the same hangar, at the Grahame White hangar which was A Flight's RAF 31 Squadron. OK, Tiffie old lad, it isn't BS. You see, I was the second Norman of RAF 31 Squadron- the first one died in India and I took his name. I am a member of the squadron- and always will be. The pilot, my Co at my training camp prior to Hendon and the dead pilot and my Cousin- all went to school together. This was what pi$$ed me off with this Churchill thing. Doug, my cousin was Churchill's-- well he was at Yalta. He was then- my days at Hendon, a Wing Commander RAF and a Major in the Royal Corps of Signals.
                          I was somewhere in 'nepotism' or something worse.

In the background, I have been writing to -- someone. I helped kit out an Antarctic RAF expedition. It was supposed to be a new thing. Then recently it was found- or so it seems- to Nazis in Antarctica- and a Murder of 'Icemen'.
                          It was supposed to be with a Norwegian. t that time the numbers of Norwegians capabable of something like this could be numbered on one finger.
                          I trained with him after my time with the RAF.

Stone cold sober- and I wish that I wasn't

Norm

Comment

Norm and others - try this as well

Deleted/edited-out
                            Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-18-2007, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aviemoron
                              Franco,

Am I going nuts?

Does the registration OH-TIP or OH-TIT mean anything?
                              It is going through my brain

Norm
                              Norm,

Probably not Nippers. A quick look through the Nipper bible doesn't show either of those registrations, but it was printed in 1996. A lot of the 130 odd aircraft have had several registrations, often in different countries, so it is possible that the registrations you quote may have been allotted after the book was printed.

Most of the original Fairey built ones were initially registered with OO (Belgium) or OY (Denmark) prefixes and three letter suffixes. No OH prefixes appear in the list in the book. Most of the later English built ones had an initial G registration with a four letter suffix. The suffixes TIP and TIT don't appear anywhere in the list either, so, sorry, I can't help you.

Regards,

franco.
                              Last edited by franco; 06-30-2007, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Franco,
                                Got them-finally

OO-TIP was/is a Tipsy S2
                                OO-TIT was/is a Fairey Junior

I once made a rude remark about Pelmanism.
                                Now feel better- I thought that I was having a funny one

My thanks- phew- wipes sweat from worried brow!

Norm

Comment

Working...
                                X