OT: Are you autistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Are you autistic?

Well, not really autistic but there is a closely related syndrome called Aspergers Syndrome. Apparently people with mild Aspergers tend to make good engineers. There is a simple indicator test available here:

Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

I scored 45.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Originally posted by Evan
    I scored 45.
    Who would have guessed?

I only made 18. Reminiscent of the Myers Briggs test, which is also quite entertaining to try.

Best,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

slow day,Evan?

Comment

I did not like this test. I scored 34 and think I'm very normal and well adjusted. I scored very high on all the tests used by the U.S. Air Force for psychological screening, leadership abilitiy, and aptitude. Additionally, I have been selected for leadership roles in various civic and religious organizations, as well as serving as chief pilot and travel department head for the former Spectra Physics (now part of Trimble). Numbers have always been familair to me and I see and use patterns and relationships to remember sequences. I carry around in my head a fairly large quantity of telephone numbers, banking account numbers, and 1 or 2 credit card numbers, as well as a number of addresses. I watch and read very little fiction, preferring instead to watch channels like history, discovery, DIY, Bio, etc; and read mostly technical literature or textbooks. I would much rather go out to my shop and work rather than go out for dinner with acquaintances. I can and do interact well socially, but don't particualrly enjoy such activity. I do enjoy an evening with close friends playing cards or other activities, but not too often. Socially, I enjoy being in the company of friends when we are sharing a common interest such as machining or flying.

All of which is to say that this test seems to score based on preference as opposed to performance.

Comment

Your post supports the accuracy of the test.

Asperger's syndrome is part of the class of autism spectrum disorders. People who exhibit it are usually of normal or higher than normal intelligence. They may have exceptional capabilities in certain areas. It is a very mild version of the savant syndrome found in some cases of severe autism.

Comment

what does 28 make me?.

Comment

I scored 35 and have to agree with Jim.

I think that I'm normal- normal- normal, and somewhat well adjusted. I am able to interact with other people it just isn't my cup of tea.

Ross
              GUNS Don't kill people
              Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Your score only reveals personality characteristics the may or may not be consistent with Asperger's syndrome. A high or low score isn't diagnostic. Asperger's isn't generally regarded as a disability by many and especially not by those who exhibit it. It's more of a consistent set of personality traits that are not very common in the general population.

Comment

....such as the desire to pierce yourself and hang little metal dangly downs from parts of your anatomy???

We're all abnormal in one way or another!

Comment

Maybe this will tell you something about me.
                    Who the **** is Asperger, and who gives a rat's arse about his syndrome?
                    Just got my head together
                    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Hmm... of course i realize, as you've stated now several times that this isn't a diagnoses...

but here are my thoughts regarding the test (my score was a 19)

I reckon that it is a fairly accurate depiction of one's personality but thats all. For me, i agreed with the statements concerning liking numbers and realizing patterns, disagreed with liking social situations, yet i've never had a problem understanding people or talking with them. I notice small details but don't get absorbed by them and, although i don't necessarily enjoy other people's company, they all enjoy mine. Of course that sounds ridicolously pompous, but it's true. I try to be nice to everyone and i am always polite in conversation and very tactful (since my dad isn't known for his tact i have always been keen on the subject) and for these reasons some of my peers hang out with me and call me thier friend although i don't necessarily feel the same about them...

That was very interesting though, reading about the syndrome i mean. I've grown up around engineers and there are some very telling characteristics that are noted in the studies. I believe Americans tend to over-diagnose something in an effort to blame something else for behavior or personality, but i do believe there are certain personality archtypes.

And of course most of you probably won't read this post, with good reason since i'm just blathering on, but its a rainy day here and i'm killing time
                      Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I have to re-take the test, I forgot what the various dots meant after I scrolled down the screen.

Comment

The test is bogus.

Look at the scoring methodology. It draws NO distinction between the "slightly" and the full-boat "agree" and "disagree". The slight agree/disagree and the full agree/disagree IS the difference between a syndrome and a non-syndrome, so the mild vs. severe distinction can't be ignored.

The test is just an ordinary Internet time-waster.

Should anyone be interested in the Asperger syndrome, there's enough material on the 'net to choke a herd of horses. The Wikipedia entry is OK, albeit a bit repetitive.

Comment

With a score of only 29 (I thought I would do better than that), I told my wife that I needed to work on my geekiness. Her reply was, "Don't worry about it." I wish I was ungeeky enough to be able to figure out what she meant by that.

Seriously, I'd like to see these parolees from a liberal arts school do a study detailing how many of the world's great inventions/literature/music/art/etc. were made by thoroughly well-adjusted people - whatever that phrase may mean in the contorted verbiage of psychologists.
                            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Scored 25 but had hells own counting my scores up, then when I had I forgot what they were for, was it Altzhimers ?

No I remember now it was are you artistic ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X