Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way OT, Healthy "fried" chicken recipe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way OT, Healthy "fried" chicken recipe...

I bet I'm not the only one of the "older" guys who craves some of that deep fried chicken with the crunchy skin like we had when we were kids. But, we can't eat all that fat anymore.

Here's a recipe I found on the web. I made it last night (even my wife liked it). I brought a few pieces to the shop for lunch, ate them for a mid morning snack already.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lc_oth...277731,00.html

Only thing I'd do next time is add a bit of the optional cayenne pepper.

The recipe calls for a pound of chicken, the batter was enough for two pounds.

Cut it out! That makes me hungry just reading it and it's not dinner time yet.
    ...lew...

Comment

DR,

Looks pretty good! I showed that recipe to my wife and she said she’d make it one day this week.

While on the subject of chicken...

Anyone have a good recipe for spicy Buffalo wings?

Comment

C'mon how can a buffalo have wings? and how come they come from a chicken ? Seriously we always throw the wings away seems a shame as we can't be bothered to cook them Alistair ps we have alot to learn from you YankeesAlistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
          C'mon how can a buffalo have wings?
          Europeans have been left behind because of their paranoid reaction to GE foods, meanwhile the Americans reap the benefits.

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
          ps we have alot to learn from you YankeesAlistair
          Hmmm, but not about food - greasy, processed and the SAME offerings wherever you go - the land of free choice - no, the land of conformity when it comes to eating out, shopping malls etc. I guess the dead hand of the chain store is spreading worldwide, its getting like that here too....

Most of my forebears came from Scotland - I believe oatmeal and turnips were about all they ate, no choice there either!

As for food ideas - try France.
          Last edited by Peter S; 03-26-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

DIY fried chicken

The chicken recipe looks good. Now to see if I can find a gluten free melba tost. Maybe Evan has an idea?
            John Burchett
            in Byng OK
            John Burchett
            in Byng OK

Comment

Kentucky Fried Chicken in New York was advertiseing a special you might like, then again you might not.

The marque read "Hillary special: two fat thighs, two small breasts and one left wing".

Jim W.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
                DR,While on the subject of chicken...
                Anyone have a good recipe for spicy Buffalo wings?
                INGREDIENTS:
                2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, split and tips discarded
                1/2 cup Frank's REDHOT Cayenne Pepper Sauce (or more to taste)
                1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
                Blue cheese dressing (optional)
                Celery sticks (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
                1. Bake wings 45 minutes at 425°F until fully cooked and crispy, turning halfway.
                2. Combine Frank's RedHot Sauce and butter in bowl.
                3. Toss wings in sauce to coat completely. Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.

Alternate Wing Cooking Directions:
                Deep fry at 400°F (HIGH) for 12 minutes or until cooked and crispy; drain.
                Broil 6-inches from heat 15 to 20 minutes, turning once.
                Grill over medium heat 30 to 40 minutes, turning often.

http://www.franksredhot.com
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I had a heart attack a couple years ago. That required I rewire all my recipies which, in hindsight, were not healthy, but were very tasty. It took a hell of an effort but I came up with a recipe for chili that is delicious and heart healthy.

DP's Famous Heart-Healthy Chili Sauce
                  Assemble and set out the following:

Spices:
                  6-8 tsp Ancho Chili Powder
                  1 tsp Cayenne
                  1 tsp Corriander
                  2 tsp Cummin
                  6 cloves garlic or equivalent garlic powder
                  2 tsp Paprika
                  1 tsp Marjoram
                  4 tblsp Oregano
                  1/2 tsp fine ground black pepper
                  1/2 - 1 tsp Tabasco sauce

Veggies:
                  1 large yellow onion, chopped
                  2 fresh jalapeno peppers
                  2 lbs ripe tomatoes - tomato sauce doesn't work well.

Meat:
                  1 lb ground bison (or lamb - drain the fat!)
                  2 1/2 lbs ground turkey

Make it happen:
                  Put the tomatoes in a blender and reduce to a thin liquid. Do not remove the skins or seeds (I'm watching you!). Pour into a large pot.

Chop the onion (should be about the size of an apple) and saute in olive oil.

Split the jalapenos lengthwise and remove and discard the seeds. Finely dice. Add to the sauteing onion. Add the Oregano to the onion and peppers. The oil will pick up the flavors and integrate them deeply into the sauce. Do not put your fingers in your eyes - wash your hands well with tooth paste to remove the pepper oils.

Add the spices, peppers, and onions to the pot, bring slowly to a boil, then simmer until it is all eaten.

Fry the ground bison till brown, drain off and discard the fat and liquid. Add to the simmering pot of liquid. Lamb is very oily - it helps to toss a cup of hot water into the frying pan to separate the oil from the meat. Allow it to drain in a collender.

In the same pan, fry up the turkey. It will be rather dry at first, then quite a bit of liquid will cook off. When the turkey is well cooked, drain off and discard the liquid then add the meat to the sauce pot.

The sauce level should be at or just above the meat level. If more liquid is needed, add some Hunt's tomato past thinned in water. A small can of paste will require a pint of water to maintain proportion. Continue simmering. Do not scorch!

Now taste it.

Is it flavorful enough? Probably not. Add more Ancho powder.
                  Is it hot enough? Maybe, maybe not. Add more cayenne.
                  Does it taste like chili? Maybe. Consider adding more Cummin.
                  No salt is used - it is normally not needed. Avoid it if you can.

Secret Ingredient:

About an hour and a half before it's done, add a bottle of nice hoppy beer. I use Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve. The sugar in the beer makes all the difference in the world.

How to serve:

Cook up some seashell noodles. Serve noodles in bowl, let guests heap on the sauce. Have some fresh chopped onion and grated low-fat cheddar or soy cheese on the side. In a pinch, a 15 oz can of black beans will work - drain them and add them early on.

Comment

JRouche,

Now that looks easy enough... I think I can do that all by myself!

Thanks for posting the recipe, that was a lot of typing!

Mike

Comment

Kentucky Fried Chicken in New York was advertiseing a special you might like, then again you might not.
                      The marque read "Hillary special: two fat thighs, two small breasts and one left wing".
                      Jim W.
                      THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

And just WHERE was that KFC? :-) :-)
                        ...lew...

Comment

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

The receipes sound wonderful, but I don't eat chicken-- I never did trust anything that wore his pecker on his face
                            Best regards, Ron

I know I just had it a minute ago--

Comment

Working...
                            X