One tool - two uses (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One tool - two uses (pics)

A recent article in "American Machinist" reminded me of something I made twenty years ago for a

friend. The body of the tool is a through-drilled cylinder with one quarter of its body

accurately milled away.

Insert the punch, made from hardened drill rod, into the hole, align the edges of the cutaway

portion with your scribe lines and voila (not viola - a musical instrument), the punch mark is on

the intersection of the lines.

But wait, there's more! (He shouts, madly waving his Ginsu steak knife.) Ever had the problem of

having to align to the edge of a piece of stock angled in the milling machine vise? Drop the

body of the punch over the edge and use the edge finder to locate on its circumference. Since

the diameter of the punch is known (or can be easily measured), it's a simple matter to locate

the spindle axis directly over the edge.

The one shown is massive enough to not move under the friction of the edge finder but, if you

have problems, apply a dab of oil or grease to hold it in place with the capillary action. (I

have a miniature version that requires this to remain in place.
    Last edited by mklotz; 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

That is slick! I've got to save those photos for my files..

HTRN
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Perhaps this is the start of a tips book 3.

What do you think Craig?

Comment

That's a neat gadget. Thanks for showing it
        John R

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz
          Ever had the problem of having to align to the edge of a piece of stock angled in the milling machine vise? Drop the body of the punch over the edge and use the edge finder to locate on its circumference.
          Too funny -- that's Japanese corner-finding Edge Finder that was extensively discussed on PM last week:

Accurately locating angular holes?

The one shown is massive enough to not move under the friction of the edge finder but, if you have problems, apply a dab of oil or grease to hold it in place with the capillary action.
          Just bore two holes and add round magnets :

Last edited by lazlo; 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo

Just bore two holes and add round magnets :

[
            Where can I buy brass magnets? I know, the same place they sell aluminum magnets
            Regards, Marv

Comment

Argh -- network problem.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Where can I buy brass magnets? I know, the same place they sell aluminum magnets
                Uhhh, I mean you would epoxy round magnets into the flat segment you cut out of the brass ring. Am I missing something?

This is what the inside of the Japanese edge finder (the "Cornerizer" ) looks like:

Comment

No, Lazlo, I'm talking about the magnets that STICK to the brass and aluminum parts I'm making.
                  Regards, Marv

Comment

"No, Lazlo, I'm talking about the magnets that STICK to the brass and aluminum parts I'm making."

Marv, THOSE magnets need some oil or grease to hold them in place by the stickery action.

Rgds
                    Michael

Australia

Comment

You can use your tool to clamp that oddball shaped part without
                      mashing the corner too!

Kap

Comment

OK, I like it. Now how do I hold the cylinder to do the milling accurately?
                        ...lew...

Comment

No, Lazlo, I'm talking about the magnets that STICK to the brass and aluminum parts I'm making.
                          Doh! In the picture the block looks grey -- I thought that was steel

Comment

You can make an electromagnet that attracts non-ferrous metals. It isn't new either.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks2/elmag/index.html
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ughhhh

HM why not just edge find the edge???????

Comment

Working...
                              X