Way OT...Old trials bikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way OT...Old trials bikes...

Hey guys...just in case anyone is into this old kind of stuff.
    I just bought a pair of mid 70's Yamaha TY trials bikes. The yellow one is a 250 and the white one a 175.
    They sat for years but after cleaning out the rotten gas etc., they are fine machines. The 250 is in really nice shape.
    Went out riding all day yesterday on the 250 and spent til way after dark out on the 175. As you can see it snowed and was pretty tricky riding out in the hills.
    These ol' things are too cool to work on. Points ignition, twin shocks...very low tech but sooo simple.
    Here's a pic tonight after I got home. Truck deck was wicked slippery...more dangerous than riding the bike

And one of the 250. Thing is over 30 years old but like new.

Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

My brother is into old dirtbikes. He's got about 13 and a half!

His latest finished bike is a Penton that looks better than showroom new. Hodaka's. My nephew rides a 360 KTM. He just recently latched onto an Ossa 250 Stiletto. I dunno how many Husqvarna's. It depends on if you count frames ....

Some Japanese too. His personal is a CR500 Honda with some extra weight on the flywheel and he wants one of those new high revvin' 4 stroke 250's

He rides 'em too. No garage queens on us.

SP

Comment

I used to love riding those bikes. I had a Bultaco Sherpa T I'd like to have back (and my Pursang and Matador, too, while I'm at it). Nothing is so much fun on two wheels as rock climbing on a trials bike. But then that was 35 years ago when beer was food and we were suffering from global cooling.

Oh yeah - I have a Hodaka 125 in the back yard and a Harley Road King in the garage. Both need the batteries charged and beer is now just a snack food
      Last edited by dp; 04-03-2007, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pntrbl
        My brother is into old dirtbikes. He's got about 13 and a half!

His latest finished bike is a Penton that looks better than showroom new. Hodaka's. My nephew rides a 360 KTM. He just recently latched onto an Ossa 250 Stiletto. I dunno how many Husqvarna's. It depends on if you count frames ....

Some Japanese too. His personal is a CR500 Honda with some extra weight on the flywheel and he wants one of those new high revvin' 4 stroke 250's

He rides 'em too. No garage queens on us.

SP

WOW, youv just jogged a ton of memories with the brands youve discribed, unfortunatly most of them came from working on those machines rather than riding them , no disrespect to the bikes , its what I used to do is wrench on them --- I had totally forgotton the word "penton" until you just mentioned it...

Comment

Oh boy! Brings backa lot of memories!
          In about 1969 there was a big guy came up here from California. He was a long haired hippy guy who was dodging the draft.
          When he showed up he had a Hodaka 100 in the back of his VW bus. We all sort of laughed at him...till he got on that bike. To this day I've never seen anyone who could wheelie like that guy. He could go for miles, wide open or slow...didn't matter. That little 100 would rip even with a man his size on it.
          I got to ride a brand new Pursang 250(about 72?). I was in love with that bike but couldn't afford to buy one.
          Got to ride a few Husky 250's also. They where very nice bikes but were wicked when it came to fouling spark plugs.
          Twenty years later I started riding 250 monoshock ,uber suspention MX bikes. What a difference!
          But I've decided these old girls are more my speed today. The YZ you can see is healing up from a full out tranny exlosion. I'm still healing from a YZ induced leg explosion...sure is a lot of fun though.
          Russ
          Last edited by torker; 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM.
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

The craziest one my brother ever owned was a 100cc Zundapp. Had a slip on carb that started slipping off one day, but we kept sticking it back on there. Unfortunately it leaned the mix out and holed the piston. Couldn't get no piston for a 100cc Zundapp.

Luckily, or so we thought, a kindly gent at the Yamaha dealer figured a 100cc Yamaha piston was the same diameter. COOL!

The only thing that was wrong was the pin to locate the ring gap on the Yamaha piston came up right in the exhaust port of the Zundapp cylinder. We didn't know any better and fired it up. I don't think it revved 3 times and Chunk!

That was the end of the Zundapp ......

We managed to kill a 200cc Triumph Cub and a 160cc Parilla in one fell swoop another time but, I could go on just about forever.

SP

Comment

Bultaco "Sherpa's" & Hodaka "Road Toads" & "Dirt Squirts"

Torker;

Where did Tonka Motorcycles go anyway...(was the BC Hodaka importer).Brings back memories when you mention the Hodakas & Bultaco's. My fav. name was the "Combat Wombat". Are those brands still around...? At least Aprillia & Laverda make helicopter parts & farm machinery to stay in business. Ducati/Cagiva makes flywheels & ignition parts for Vespas....

As for trials riders of note, does anyone remember Ed Hertfelder & his column & book(s?) from Motorcyclist or Cycle magazine..."The Duct Tapes"...?
              Shades of trials at Ioco in the '80's in the rain....& mud.
              I had fun.
              Rick

Comment

Speaking of TY250, remember Mick Andrews?
                My hero in the 70s
                Just got my head together
                now my body's falling apart

Comment

Hehehe, just found this....

Comment

Cycle The Duct Tapes Favorite story was the Push Rod .......How true with the plug fouling critters of the past....

Comment

I had, for a bit more than a year, a 1972 Honda TL125 trials bike.

I got it as a fairly complete frame, lacking a motor and perhaps a bracket or two. I also got a big pile of TL125 engines (and whatever they called the same thing in a non-trials version; same engine, just the serial numbers were different) but none complete enough to run.

So, with a little scrounging, I managed to find and install an ATC200 motor- basically a big brother to the 125, with an auto clutch, out of one of the early no-suspension, balloon-tired three-wheelers.

Basically a bolt-in, the only mod I had to do was switch the thumb throttle to a twist grip. (Well, I didn't "have" to, but I wanted to.)

Only problem being, the resulting twist ratio ended up being less than one-quarter turn from idle to full throttle. With the huge trials rear sprocket and the extra-low ATC first gear in the motor- and the fact the bike sans engine barely weighed 70 pounds- it had torque to burn and would certainly surprise an unwary rider.

I rode it for most of a summer. With the torque and light weight, the thing would climb trees.

Eventually I decided to see what it'd be like with a 'real' motor (IE, the manual-clutch TL125 engine) and started rebuilding one of the better core engines. I ended up getting about 2/3rds of the way done, and then sold it off to a fellow who knew precisely what the bike was, had the parts to restore it, and rode "real" trials (not just the backwoods rough-trail stuff I'd been doing.)

He more or less restored it (not a councours/numbers-matching type thing, but basically a very clean rebuild) rode it once, maybe twice, and then some prick stole it right out of his backyard.

Always wondered what happened to it.

Years later, I had a chance to buy a Bultaco trials bike. 250 cc engine, and some "aftermarket" frame I forget the name of, but was famous for being nickel-plated rather than painted. Can't recall exactly what it was, but I'd imagine it'd be worth a few bucks today...

And speaking of bikes, I recall back in the eighties, going with some friends to look at a "$50 motorcycle" out of the classified ads. Turned out to be a '53 (I think) Allstate that we literally pulled out of the weeds. Some fresh gas, a quick scrub to the plug, and about three trips up the street pushing it and it started & ran.

As I recall, it was left-foot clutch and left-hand twist-grip to shift. The guys rode it around like it was a cheap scooter for a while (doing very little repair other than trying to patch the ruisty exhaust with one of those epoxy tape kits) until the twist shifter broke at a ball linkage. They tried fixing it once, didn't hold, so they sold it off.

That's another one I wish I knew what happened to, and what it'd be worth today even if it was still in that same condition from back then.

Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

"Years later, I had a chance to buy a Bultaco trials bike. 250 cc engine, and some "aftermarket" frame I forget the name of, but was famous for being nickel-plated rather than painted. Can't recall exactly what it was, but I'd imagine it'd be worth a few bucks today..."

That would have been a "Rickman". He made frames and seat/tank plastic for a lot of different brand motors.

Very collectable these days especially if you have all the body work that went with them. I built a flat track bike out of a Montessa version for a friend of mine.
                        Gene

Comment

the yellow and white trials bikes, wow, haven't seen one of those in years. had one, eventually change for a YZ. going over logs and rocks wasn't my thing and i got sick of having to stop and dig the clogged mud out from under the front fender
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM.

Comment

"and i got sick of having to stop and dig the clogged mud out from under the front fender"

That's why most of us threw it into the weeds and fitted a high mudcatcher

Comment

Actually, I'd suspect that any nickle-plated frame Bultaco trials bike was probably a Sammy Miller frame. The Rickman bros did do some of their Zundapp-engined MicroMetisse in trials trim, but most everything they did was either scrambles/enduro or road/roadrace frames. Here's a photo of a Miller frame for a TL125:

http://mcswapmeet.tripod.com/hbf2.JPG

This is my Kawasaki KT250 vintage trials bike:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/K...pipe%2030a.jpg

I built the tank, fender stays and exhaust for it. I had a 1974 325 Sherpa T that I bought new and I sure did like that. I've modified the porting and squish on the KT and I've been told that those mods with the pipe make it one of the best-running KTs that the other owners have ridden. It does need more flywheel (it is light compared to the Spanish bikes) but I've got to build a new frame for it to allow space for a bigger cover over the magneto to fit the extra weight.

There's a very large amount of vintage dirt bike stuff on my website if anyone is interested.

Oh yes, I've also got a TT500 Yamaha based Modern Classic trials project. I've had a new 2nd gear pair made up that will move 2nd down closer to first, giving a choice of two gears in a section instead of just one.

cheers,
                              Michael
                              Last edited by Michael Moore; 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X