Romi Lathe: A Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romi Lathe: A Rant

After being away from the game for a while due to early retirement (my choice) I went back to work for a pharmecutical companies development shop (we do work for both supporting production and also work for the companies research labs along with others such as UL, the shop has also been sold but that is another matter). Got handed my first big lathe job since going back to work other than small stuff in the Hardinge's. Romi Tormax 17-4. Who ever the moron is that laid out the selector chart for the feeds and threads out should be hung from a lamp post. The chart is damn near on the floor and the print requires the Hubble telescope to see. It is not that I am unfamiliar with the style of gear box used it's just that is the worst one I have ever seen.
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Can you take a picture of the charts with a digital camera and get someone to type it into Word or a desktop publisher in a good size and formatted for easy reading? You could then laser print it onto card stock and have it plastic laminated or have a Kinko type place do it for you. This would only work if the levers are labeled, however, otherwise you'd need to replace the actual panels.

Comment

At least you can read yours. My mentor's Romi lathe panels are in Portugese, no manual, and not much hope for help. Romi can't even place this lathe, no idea where or when it was built. Oh well, it makes life more interesting. It's no fun it you already know the answers. It's kinda like a game show. Choose a selection and see what you get!

Cadwiz

Comment

cadwiz:

I don't know who would do such a 'ting, like motors "wired up" to run in the UK, with Russian instructions, all packed in an "American/Canadian market" box, but I used to get "mixed shipments" from overseas.

Any chance that lathe drifted up from Brazil, incognito?
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Sorry, been out of town. Yea, we're pretty sure it came from Brazil. Can't read any of the panels, have no idea how the wiring supposed to be. It's got power for all kinds of things, lots of oil pumps, etc. Tried Romi in US w/no help, tried Romi in Brazil, no help & no english speaking people. Tried posting here, no help. Can't place the date and can't find a manual. Kinda stuck right now.

Cadwiz

Comment

Working...
          X