No announcement yet.

What is it?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is it?

    I bought a bunch of tools and fixtures from a retired machinist last week, among them were a couple of centers that I've never seen before. I looked through the catalogs and nothing looks even close.

    Here is the first, MT's on each end, however the male side is a spring loaded ball joint, for lack of a better description. It only moves about 10 degrees.

    This one has a taper on the end of it, I was thinking maybe it would be used to hold parts with a radius on the end?

  • #2
    The first is a floating tool holder. They are usually used with reamers to follow a hole and compensate for minor misalignment of the tailstock or spindle depending on the machine.

    The second is a cup center, for radiused or pointed workpieces as you suspect.
    Jim H.


    • #3
      Damn, I knew this one to,But Thanx Jim, You are quick.