Milling an internal keyway ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling an internal keyway ?

Thinking outside the box today and because the slotter is setup on a long running job and I didn't want to pull it down I decided to try the little Quillmaster attachment that has sat in a drawer since I bought the Bridgy.

Only had two sprockets to do but they were urgent.
    Bored out from pilot bore to 75mm dia, about 3", length of bore about 5".
    Cutter is a shortened carbide 5mm cutter to fit the Quillmaster. I think most Quillmasters are 3/16" but it's hard here in the UK to source 3/16" shanked cutters so I open this one out to 5mm.

Keyway is 20 mm wide, just a tad over 3/4" and about 3/16" deep to accept a standard 20 x 12 metric key.
    Head and quill was locked and the feed applied with the knee to ensure it was vertical plus once the Quillmaster was bolted to the quill it reduced the quill travel by 1-1/4" so most the quill can do with one of these fitted is 3-3/4" in depth.

Six cuts in total, not as fast as the slotter but given I would have had to make a new slotting tool it worked out about the same.
    Twenty minutes per keyway once setup, setup was about 3/4 of an hour but given that I had not used the Quillmaster before and had to hunt cutters and collets out it could have been quicker.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Sweeeeeeet

Comment

are those tractor sprockets or something? those things are huge!

Comment

John, Damn good picture!

Comment

It's refreshing to see other people pile stuff up on the mill table while they are working,

Nice use for the angle drive. When I built the Gardner Gun that would have be very handy. I keep looking at them on ebay. Maybe one of these days.

Scott

Comment

Very good use for quillmaster. Very good pictures too, I always enjoy your pictures and interesting jobs. How small a bore can the quillmaster work in? JIM
            jim

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm liking that! Besides the minimum bore clearance, does the Quillmaster overdrive the bit end? Or is it 1:1?

Comment

Quick measure up and if you shorten the cuter a bit more than I had you can get inside a 2" bore and still go about 5/16" deep.
                Depth at 2" is limited to about 4" before the curve of the Quillmaster comes into play and fouls the top of the bore.

Not measured the ratio but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's a 1:1.5 step up ratio.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nice one John.

The little bit on the end is called the Quillmaster right angle attachment "QRA". I have one, but no Quillmaster to fit it to!

Comment

Hi
                    Originally posted by scott96088
                    It's refreshing to see other people pile stuff up on the mill table while they are working,
                    Scott
                    I thought that's why they made the tables so wide

Regards

Peter
                    Kind regards

Peter

Comment

I have more Junk on my Mill John and more chips Mike

Comment

John's just tryin to hide the fact it's a Bridgeport.
                        Cheers,
                        Gary

Comment

I'm a little dim, and since I didn't recognise anything in Sir John's picture of giant bicycle sprockets, I looked up "Quillmaster".

Comment

5 year old thread, answered like it was yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Elninio View Post
                              are those tractor sprockets or something? those things are huge!
                              They're sprockets for Chuck Norris's push bike.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                              X