N.A.M.E.S. Safety Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.A.M.E.S. Safety Requirements

I found a copy of the safety rules for the show laying around and have been perusing them. There's a couple of questions in my mind:

"Liquid Fuel ... limited to 1/2 gallon per exhibitor... containers must be UL approved for the service used."

What does that mean? I'm assuming that the container the [Coleman] fuel comes in isn't good enough. What do I need and where do I get it?

"Fuel must be dispensed with pumps, not poured." I went to the hobby store and got one of those hand-cranked pumps that they use to fuel model airplanes, is that acceptable?

"Exhibitors ... must be sure that an approved fire extinguisher of type 3A40 BC is located on the display table.. indicated by a sign on a post..." I remember seeing those last year; are they furnished by the show, or do I have to buy an extinguisher and fab up a post w/sign. Is the dry-chemical extinguisher in my shop suitable, or do I need to buy a new one? Mine says 1A 10BC. I s'pose it should be replaced anyway, it has a 1985 sticker on the side.

Or should I just drain the fuel from my engines and let 'em sit?

TIA: <<Jim>>

Ok from working at the show set up since they went to the southgate from the Yak.
    Most of the guys use the coleman cans or an approved container. They have some fancy containers at the camping shops that have the stampings on them like gas can ect.
    any kind of pump the crank or the pump stroke type are preffered. No mess made by pouring and slopping up the mess with rags then left under the table. If you keep the kit with your supplies out of site under the table you will be fine. The group still provides the signs and fire bottles on all tables.
    The Toledo Fire Masherals will be doing walk thrus all weekend. Like last year and at every other event they have had. Most times it is brought to the attention of one of the show comittee and they take it up with the exhibitor in question. I can't remember any problems that weren't easy to solve last year.
    I belive the cans it comes in is an approved container. Look for the UL label on the can someplace.
    What they are talking about is the use of water and dish washing soap squirt bottles to fuel up. if you will be using alot of fuel some of the guys keep the spare in the car or truck.
    The only one they gave a hard time to last year was the guy with the cobra oxy/act rig bottles had to be outside on the dock overnight.
    As long as you aren't running a V-12 burning kerosene with a 50 gallion tank you should be fine.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

http://www.modelengineeringsoc.com/
      Is the website and contact info if you need more info.
      Glen
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Glen,
        Thanks for the info!

After posting that, I did a bit of research and found out what a proper fire extinguisher is. So, even though I don't have to buy one for the show, I DO need to buy one for my shop.

The Coleman can doesn't say anything about being UL approved, so I'll visit another hobby shop and see what I can find. A half-gallon is plenty, in fact if I fill the engine's tank completely and don't run it all day, I'll probably have enough for the show, just in the engine.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Jim after finding my copy and looking the safety statements over. You can use the can it comes in, and a turkey baster, eyedroper or a large sryinge to transfer fuel. the main concern is the paper/rags left overnight inside the hall and spills on the tables that get lite off. And the use of water bottles a refueling bottles.
          Glen
          Glen

Comment

Working...
          X