New Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hobby

Went to a Gun Show on weekend/ Lots of junk there but one Fellow had a amazing assortment of beautifully made knives. I was checking out a Large stag Handled Skinner when he mentioned his personal Damascus knife he had made himself. It holds a edge so well its short of amazing. Anyhow he says he can only get steel 1 1/2 inch wide from the damascus suppliers. Anyone know otherwise. I also wonder what is better for knife making a round sandpaper type wheel or a belt driven one. ?? Any one make knives and have any tips for a beginner?? Thankyou Mike

I saw a knife made out of a chunk of cable once, forged nice, looked like damascus.

Comment

Pattern welded steel (Damascus) is made from scratch so you could probably find any size and pattern you want from the maker. There is an enormous amount of info on the web about damascus so you may just want to do some googling on a few choice key words.

Belt grinders in 2x72 are most common, although any grinder/sander can be used if necessary.

Take a class if you can - then you get to learn from folks who have already made plenty of mistakes and may save you some time and frustration.

Comment

Check out Atlanta Cutlery Corp. at www.atlantacutlery.com. They have some knife making supplies, kits, including some Damascus blades.

Comment

check out the videos herehttp://smartflix.com/index.php?main_page=index
          under knife making. make sure to read the reviews if there are any for the video. The one I rented on tempering and hardening was by a couple of knife makers quailty sucked and they aren't the greatest about explaining it but you can get an idea about it and don't have to pay the big bucks for a viseo that sucs.
          My reviews are signed glen RP I have built up quite a knowledge base at $9.99 istead of $99.99 each
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

In addition to the cable knives the ones made from a complete RR spike are pretty slick too!
            Glen
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

You should check out this web site. They have a lot of info.http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index.php

Comment

Railroad Spike Knife

RR spikes are dead soft metal like cold rolled,the spike is welded to the blade to make the handle

Comment

Railroad spikes come in soft steel and in hardened steel.

The hardened ones are marked with an H.
                  Last edited by Evan; 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I made some daggers out of RR spikes,I had to heat them to get them to from with a BFH.So they must have been the hard ones.They seem to hold a edge pretty good...

Comment

I just double checked on my memory and the hard spikes are marked HC, meaning High Carbon.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan is right these were one piece with the handle twisted in to close ridges and the blade was short and hardened probably case or something and they hold the edge good but aren't made for shaving
                        Glen

Comment

If you like art or sculpture there is no nicer hobby in my mind then knife making on a big 2x72 belt grinder. Scribe two center lines the length of the blade and start a multitude of passes until you create a 8" grove from the wheel to pop the wheel into and then roll ever so slightly to your scribed lines until you just kiss them and then they are ready for the sharpening. 5 minute epoxy is used by many for attaching handles and the brass fittings are generally silver soldered in to keep blood/water from getting underneath and the rust ruining the knife. I would love to get back to it but if I ever do it again I'll have a much better breathing setup. Good luck and go for it, you'll love it.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

If you're just starting,get some 0-1 tool steel.Much cheeper and easier to temper.i've made about 75 knives and just now starting to do damascus.it costs to much to practice on.spelling mistakes here,just wanted to drive the spelling police up the wall.

Comment

I just finished building a 2x72" KMG clone belt grinder. It works amazing!
                              I will be using it for light fabrication in my shop.
                              Next time I am at the shop I will take some photos and post them.
                              I will try making a knife with it soon.
                              Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X