Radial Edge Gear - Cutting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial Edge Gear - Cutting ?

Anybody have an idea of how one would go about cutting a gear in this shape? Odd, yes I know but it has a use. Mount a gear fixture on an RT, maybe?

Ken

I think if you made a mandrel and indexer using a gear with the same number of teeth to keep things small as possible. Run the mandrel though a block and put the index gear on one side and the gear to make on the other side.
    Mounted that to a rotary table. That would work. It might take a try or two to get the correct radius.

Of course a cnc mill could just move the table in the correct arc for you.

Scott

Comment

Pfuater CNC hob. Otherwise as stated single tooth cutter swung on an arc.
      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Use an indexer on a cnc mill, or a tracermill.
        That Pfauter hob with a tracer attachment at Kopflex Couplings will also work.

These are standard profiles in series H flexible couplings at Koppers where I served my time.

http://rollway-bearing.be/eptroot/pu...ex/kopflex.htm

That is the kopflex coupling product site address.

Click on kop-flex couplings. Check out the torque capacities!

Kap
        Last edited by kap pullen; 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Crown gear cutting.

Originally posted by CCWKen
          Anybody have an idea of how one would go about cutting a gear in this shape? Odd, yes I know but it has a use. Mount a gear fixture on an RT, maybe?
          For the home shop? limited qty? need to put c/line of tooth root rad on c/line of rotary table, Yes Very Doable, cutter diameter? will it get on and off at the root rad, without hitting the gear arbor. May have to make cutter with Smaller od as commercial cutter may be too large.

May we enquire NOT, Pitch, PA, etc. Willing to throw some experience at your endevour.

I built three spherical gear coupling grinders, a new 2" wheel had to be dressed to 1.850" od to start, to prevent clearance problems. Ran thousands of them. The crown hobber, needed special form on involute as well as crowning, 1.75 od hob very special, Very costly. Designed an 8 tooth form cutter for CNC mill, ran about 6 mins each floor to floor.

Les H.
          The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Thanks guys! No CNC available here. This will be done in-shop for a prototype. I'll need two gears to start with. Sorry about the crummy drawing. Without getting into a lot of detail, the gears will actually look like ~1 3/4" balls with axial flats of about a 3/8" section on each end. The pitch diameter will be ~1.5". I haven't pined down the tooth profile details yet as that's not really critical but it will be taking a lot of torque. The gearing will be 1:1. My poor drawing software makes it hard to draw that but I thought you could get the idea.

I was concerned about having enough clearance to rotate the ball on a small gear indexer on an RT like Scott mentions. I think Les is right, I may have to use a custom made cutter. That or I also thought about cutting half at a time to get around the clearance problem. As long as the gear is keyed that might work. ???

Kap, Thanks for the link. Yeah the idea is similar to the H-Series but the gears will be side-by-side instead of in-line. I'm also considering a "male-female" gear arrangement to gain some contact area for torque. As you can see, I'm still kicking around ideas.

Les - I appreciate the offer but at this point, there's still a few variables to be pined down in the mechanism. This is just an idea I've had for some time. It's not even committed to paper yet but it keeps popping up when I get reminded. If it works out, I'd be willing to share the "bazillion$".

I can just imagine the gears churning in your heads now.

Comment

Spherical Gear

I can just imagine the gears churning in your heads now.

Churn, Churn, Yes definitly doable.

Big Teeth, Small Cutter.
              Les H.
              The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Working...
              X