Grasshopper engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grasshopper engine

I get sic of you guys posting about your fancy smancy engines that you built (ok --- Im a little jealous) anyways, --- I bet none of you guys have built a grasshopper engine, I did and it used a freshly plucked grasshopper leg and a little flywheel, if you zap the leg from one end to the other with just twelve volts from a battery charger the leg will kick, after verifying I then built a little "jig" --- one end held the legs big end with a pin through it towards the rear muscle (you have to get to the hoppers "juice" to make a good connection) and that mounted to the base (I had either the negative or the positive mounted to the base i cant remember) the "foot" end of the leg was mounted to an offset of the flywheel and also pinned, the flywheel was mounted to the base but isolated from it electrically, I had a little copper "dragger" on the flywheel that had the other terminal connection and scotch tape over about two thirds of the circumference ---- the dragger would connect about 15 degree's after TDC (I didnt want to go anymore radical than that cuz i wanted to save the main energy for the 90 degree mark)
    anyways, all i had to do was rotate the wheel and then it took off, it was very cool, it really did work for quite a few revolutions and then of course petered out and started spasming ---- I hope this doesnt mean im insane, No I dont have any pics, it was a spur of the moment experiment that took up a good part of a day, after seeing that grasshopper leg work like it did it really got me thinking, I dont know how fast it would be but you could build a muscle engine, we have the capabilities to life support them with the best of nutrients and glucose and then filter out all the lactic acid, we could super charge them like crazy, steroids, No animals to harm -- just harvested muscles that are grown in a lab, elefant muscles for trucks ,,, little cheeta muscles for sports cars, Im telling ya -- just hook them up to a crank shaft and tell them when to pulse, keep em from freezing and a few other minor inconveniences like dont run the AC up hills, an over heat would smell like a really bad barbique...

the grasshopper leg engine is a true story, I did it about a decade ago...
    I bet a 9 volt battery would fire a leg off two but i used a battery charger.
    The reason i built it was i was just torturing a grasshopper in my shop one day and thought about electricity, the wall outlet was way to much but when i hooked it up to the battery charger i couldnt believe the force the little leg put on my finger, try it, youll see, Ill sell you my plans
    The next phase was going to be keeping one alive and doing it, I tried but its almost like youd have to build them some kind of harness to strap into or something, i lost patience and rememeber a failed attempt at trying to use super glue... poor little fella, what a mess, I think it would be really cool if one of you guys took the time and built one of these and made a movie, that would really be something...

This sounds more energy efficient than anything Al Gore drones on about.

Comment

I keep telling everybody this is a bunch of loony-tunes.......
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

How about remote control cockroaches?

http://www.intercorr.com/roach.htm
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yeah well wait till PETI sees this you and Imus will be selling pencils on the street corner ................

(People for the Ethical Treatment of Insects)

Comment

What's an Imus?

Comment

Fascinating, in a vaguely sick sort of way. Sounds like something I might have tried had I thought of it.

Cultured Heart muscle - several in parallel - a hydraulic drive system with blood as the working medium.

I just had a stress test on Monday. Treadmilled my pulse up to 150 bpm, blood pressure from 110/72 at rest to 156/78 at full throttle. Yeah, I know, nothing unusual for the bicyclists among us. Only ill effect was a sore arthritic hip joint the next day.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

How about a fly powered 4 engine model airplane?

http://www.yumlum.com/fly_airplane/fly_airplane.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Wes1
                  Fascinating, in a vaguely sick sort of way. Sounds like something I might have tried had I thought of it.

Cultured Heart muscle - several in parallel - a hydraulic drive system with blood as the working medium.

I just had a stress test on Monday. Treadmilled my pulse up to 150 bpm, blood pressure from 110/72 at rest to 156/78 at full throttle. Yeah, I know, nothing unusual for the bicyclists among us. Only ill effect was a sore arthritic hip joint the next day.

It wouldnt have to be quite as discusting as it sounds, they got plastic blood now, Tests would have to be done on performance output but a heart muscle could be a good choice because its always going, thing about a heart muscle is you may not be able to shut it down and restart it?
                  the blood or fake blood may not even need a pump, In the cycling world two of your main blood pumps are actually your legs - just by expanding them and contracting them, remember your gym teacher telling you to keep running for awhile after a sprint? Good advice --- its hard on your heart if you dont because it has lots of extra work to do (plus it helps get rid of the lactic acid esp. if your sprint was anerobic),,, I really dont believe it could ever be practical, but just the same,,, its very strange to realize that it really could be built, I think the most difficult part would be incorperating the kindeys...
                  Im telling you guys when that flywheel took off I felt like DR. frankenstien, I remember saying to myself "who makes power like this"
                  But it is a creep show no matter how you look at it,
                  perhaps I should have titled the post "And now for something a little different"
                  If I get the time this spring I will build another and it will be more refined (I didnt have a mill back then and just eyeballed everything) I will video it for you guys, Then the grasshopper engine will be born again...

As always, nice job with the roach Evan, there's a fair chance I will be seeing that thing in my nightmares tonight --- leave it to you to take something so simple and pure and desimate it

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    How about remote control cockroaches?

That really is a mind blower, you give me 5 million and i think i could find away of making it work (after hirering out some really good help)

Here's what got me laughing; "Not just any roach will do. Researchers use only the american cockroach (Perplaneta americana) because it is bigger and hardier than most other species."

Finally something we can export to china.

Comment

OK what if we take two grasshoppers superglue them to miniature exercise bikes that have the drive wheels connected together so that the pedals 90 degrees apart. With wires attached to their legs going to an appropriate electronic circuit we could then synchronize the firing of the leg mussels to get smooth continuous rotation.

Now if this was used to run a generator that in turn powered the electronics, and with a seemingly inexcusable supply of grasshoppers, would we have an over unity device?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist
                        ...and with a seemingly inexcusable supply of grasshoppers, would we have an over unity device?
                        Inexcusable - inexhaustable?

One of those times when the almost right word was as good as the right word. Maybe better.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Scientist
                          Now if this was used to run a generator that in turn powered the electronics, and with a seemingly inexcusable supply of grasshoppers, would we have an over unity device?

There still is no free lunch, lunch being in the form of grass that is --- thats allot of hungry mouths to feed, not only that, now that they are all super glue'd together we have to be the ones to forage for them and also get rid of thier poop, I still bet it would be better then chevy's version of "green engine", at least we dont have to ferment it for them --- thats a step in the right direction, This has really got me thinking ------- just in this post we have covered allot of different things and processes of elimination, Lets cut out the middle man even more,,, what about a photovoltaic tree?

Comment

Cooked a heap of mussels. Never seen legs on em tho
                            Just got my head together
                            now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by Wes1
                              Inexcusable - inexhaustable?

One of those times when the almost right word was as good as the right word. Maybe better.
                              Damn your right! Why is that the hardest things to see are those that are the most obvious?

Comment

Working...
                              X