A woodworking (or metal) hold down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A woodworking (or metal) hold down...

I hang out on a woodworking site and showed this to a guy....thought there may be some interest here.
    This is the prototype clamp I made years ago before I had any machinery to make chips. It's all hand fabbed but don't let its uglyness fool you. It's a very powerful clamp. I cracked a drill press table almost in half with it when first trying it. I made a few others for different machines that where nicer than this one but they are gone with the machines I sold 10 years ago. I really like these on drill press tables, sliding tables on the shaper and mortisers.
    The plunger on this is spring loaded so it follows the cam up and down. Very quick and powerful clamp. I think I used auto brake springs. The ones that hold the shoes to the backing plate.

Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Torker,
    thats a great idea - funny how the simplest of ideas have so many uses.
    Thanks for that - peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

I like,matters more that it works than how it looks.I have one on a similar design from an old single end tenoner.It uses the same principal,but has a shorter throw.

And yes it holds mighty tight.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Nice one Russ. Looks like that rear bolt is not even needed except to maintain a setup height. The cantilever would lock it anyway, and could be another "selling point" for easy/fast adjustments when not working on a series of identical parts. Adding a knurled wheel or t-bar would make it easy to set a height to hold over a series of clamps. I like...
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Looks pretty neat! I made a cam operated holder that works off the dog holes in my wood working bench. It's really handy for doing a lot of repetitive projects and also works nice for hand-dovetailing.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Torker ; Man, I must be really slow! Every body here seems to understand how this works but me .So, could tell me wher the plunger and cam Is??
            Thanks Chris

Comment

Chris...it's probably more the poor photography!
              The cam is welded to the end of the handle...nothing but a circle with the hole drilled offcenter.
              The plunger is right underneath of the cam...goes through to the foot that presses on the wood...or whatever.
              Russ
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I was thinking about buying a vise-grips drill press clamp but then i saw our woodshop at school had something simliar but without the spring and it looked pretty cheapo but it got me thinking. Seein this, especially with the spring to keep the plunger from falling out (the one at school was for horizontal stuff) i think i might try to build one. Thats pretty slick.

Comment

Torker Thanks for the reply . I think i see it now. I was confused about whaT looks like copper tubing .I thought that was part of it . I see now that it would have a LOT of leverage .I can also see breaking a drill press table. I think i need to make me a couple of these. Thanks Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X