How much is a pound of Cerrobend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a pound of Cerrobend?

Does anyone know what the approximate dimensions of a one pound ingot of Cerrobend (Cerrosafe, Cerromelt, Cerrocherrios, whatever), are. I know a lot of people use it to bend thin wall tubing and I'd like to try it out, but I don't have any clue how much I'd need. For all I know, a pound of it could be 1/2" x 1" x 2"

Thanks,
    Stuart
    Stuart de Haro

Don't know. But I think in the last issue of either HSM or MW, Steve Acker's (gunsmith) article featured its use. Don't recall if he mentioned its weight, but I think he did describe its composition. Bismuth and maybe antimony, and some other stuff. Brownell's is what he cited as a source. I'm sure they could tell you the dimensions of a lb or it. I'd bet it's somewhat lighter than lead but much heavier than aluminum. Your .5 X 1 X 2 is probably in the ballpark. Guess I'm not much help.

Comment

A Cerrobend ingot weighs approximately 1-1/2#. It is 50% bismuth and 40% tin & lead.
      As I remember an ingot is about 2-1/2"-3" square x about 3/4" thick.
      A 1" thick x 3" wide brass bar weighs 11#/
      ft. by comparison. I would imagine densities are similar.
      A 1# ingot of Cerrobend was $27.00 from McMaster Carr a couple of years ago.
      Jim H.

Comment

Small Parts inc. has several alloys tht melt at varying temperatures. I use the LMA-158 that melts at 158F. Its weight is 0.339 lbs per cubic inch. It's great stuff, but you don't want to ingest any, since it has lead, cadmium, tin and bismuth in the alloy.
        457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

just bought an ingot of cerro-safe it is 2"wide 5/8"thick and 3-1/2"long and costs $27.65 from McMaster-Carr
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I've got a fairly large supply of Ostalloy 281 (melts at 281*) with similer properties to the cero alloys but with slightly lower growth rate. I would be willing to melt it down into smaller quantities and provide to members of the group at a competative price if enough people to make the effort worthwhile were interested. If anyone's interested please e-mail me to avoid bothering the list with sales traffic.

-Dave

Forgot to mention that the Ostalloy contains only bisumith and tin, no lead and no cadmium. Adding a small amount of tin will produce a zero growth alloy which can be used to proof molds.

[This message has been edited by Dave Opincarne (edited 04-17-2003).]

Comment

All of the low temperature meltimg point alloys are available from brownells, the gun smithing people. A one pound ingot is about 3" diameter x 1/2" tall
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

HiTech Alloys

Originally posted by hornluv
                Does anyone know what the approximate dimensions of a one pound ingot of Cerrobend (Cerrosafe, Cerromelt, Cerrocherrios, whatever), are. I know a lot of people use it to bend thin wall tubing and I'd like to try it out, but I don't have any clue how much I'd need. For all I know, a pound of it could be 1/2" x 1" x 2"

Thanks,
                Stuart
                Cerro Bend is .329 lbs. per cubic inch and is $20/lb. Most of the information listed here is not accurate. Ken

[email protected]

Comment

CerroBend is .329 lbs. per cubic inch. It costs $20/lb. Most of the replys here are not accurate.
                  Ken
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by HiTech Alloys
                    Most of the replys here are not accurate.
                    Ken
                    [email protected]
                    As is [email protected] should be [email protected]

Comment

Everybody missed the obvious answer, How much is a pound of Cerrobend? 16ozs.
                      mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Originally posted by HiTech Alloys
                        CerroBend is .329 lbs. per cubic inch. It costs $20/lb. Most of the replys here are not accurate.
                        Ken
                        [email protected]
                        You resurrected a seven year old thread to impart your wisdom?
                        Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcostello
                          Not if it's a Troy pound @ 12 troy ounces

Comment

Originally posted by Mcostello
                            I thought HiTechAlloys did answer the basic question:

Originally posted by HiTechAlloys
                            Ken
                            And he also provided the the density figure so you could calculate the volume of a pound. Here, I will do the math: 1 pound / 0.329 pounds per cubic inch = 3.04 cubic inches per pound. Not a lot, but a fair amount. Certainly enough to bend a piece of small diameter tubing.
                            Paul A.

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                            X