Can't wait can't wait...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't wait can't wait...

I just ordered a mill and lathe package from Sherline.

Was going to order a Smithy but my girlfriend talked me out of it and convinced me that seperate lathe and mill are best for what we want to do.

Personally I think it's because she's planning on walking out of here with the lathe when she dumps me.

But anyway... As I said can't wait for it to get here. Got a space cleared out in the living room for the work bench, got the outlets wired up, got the material racked up under the bench.

Hopefully I don't have a stroke when it arrives.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

I have them both and do like them as long as you don't try to force them to do more than they are made for. The riser blocks for the lathe and the mill are nice to have. Gives a little more on the size you can work on.
    You do know that there is some assembly required before you can make chips. The book and instructions are pretty good.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I assumed so, based on other industrial machines I have worked with over the years.

I intend to mill plastic on these... mostly HDPE, Styrene, styrene alloy and maybe a bit of polycarb. So overworking is not an issue, I hope.

We're both *really* into building and collecting models of Japanese Anime Robots (mecha) and there is a wee market for "customizor" parts. What we're hoping to do is first and formost make custom parts for our enjoyment and possibly make some money on the convention circut.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

I think you'll be very happy with the Sherline machines. Having the seperate machines will be a great advantage, and Sherline's quality and support are excellent. Given the scale and materials you'll be working with, you made a great choice.
        Todd

Comment

Don't worry you can pretty much work in any material its just some people tend to try to squeeze the extra 1/4 inch in or try to take to big of a cut.
          Glen
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I hope you got the rotary table to go with the mill. It's a nice one, and it really pays for itself.

I'm sure you'll like your outfit. I've had my mill for several years, and I've had a lot of fun with it.

Roger
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I have the cnc rotary table it is the greatest. it did pay for it self the first 2 months I had it doing repeat holes and layout.
              Glen

Comment

No, we didn't get the rotary table nor any sort of CNC option... Just getting the metric DRO was expensive enough.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Machines good.

So tell me more about this girl that likes lathes and machining.

Comment

She's a machinist who happened to be slumming in a plastic factory because the shop she worked at closed. I taught her plastic, she taught me machining, I think we're on to somthing here.

Comment

Does she have a sister? ....

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
                        Does she have a sister? ....

Two sisters??

Scott

Comment

Yeah but neither of them are much into machining. One works for Valvoline and the other works at Tractor Supply.

Meh.

Comment

Tractor Supply works for me, Scott can have the oily one.

PS. Send picture of TS farm implements in stock!

Comment

I showed her this thread she laughed her butt off. Now hopefully we can both keep our sense of humor when assembling everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X