Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another bandsaw fixture (yawn...sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another bandsaw fixture (yawn...sorry)

This is not my idea...however..I did make it myself...lol! I did modify it though. It has a small fence that fills in the gap between the blade and the back fence. The base itself is just a hair away from the blade also. The shiny bit you see behind the pipe is just a filler block to space the pipe out so the hold down is straight. Darn handy rig. It's 6 1/2" wide and I just drill and tap holes in it as I need them for the 1/2"X13 tpi hold down studs. With the little filler fence you can cut slices off pipe as short as 1" long...or anything else for that matter.

Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Very nice.

Is that a vert/horiz? I've got a plate similar to that, but smaller. Got a few other things you might like...

Angle iron "v-blocks" are quite handy, I've got 2 built from scrap.

I took a piece of angle and mounted it opposite the fence, outboard of the blade. I clamped a piece of 1" square to the fence with the fence carefully set "exactly" to 90*. I then clamped the short piece of angle iron (about 1" long) to the square just about 1/16 clear of the blade so it forms a sort of fence extension when at 90*. 2 holes were then drilled and tapped 1/4-20 to hold it in place. Nice thing is, that really helps stabilize short cuts and keeps it from trying to rotate the piece in the vice when the piece is stubby.

Another thing, I made a small table out of 1/4" plate that bolts on just like the stamped POS table. But it's made just barely small enough to still work in horizontal mode without hitting the base casting. Very handy for quickly cutting some little thing without having to fool with mounting and unmounting the table. I can't recall when I last had my big table on there (not the stamped POS).
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Bad Dog, do you have any pics of your set-up. I didn't have the time to look them over on the Yahoo band saw site before unsubscribing. They won't allow you to hide your e-mail address and it wasn't long after joining that I was bombarded with spam. Slick buggers even went as far as sending the garbage mail with bandsaw in the subject line.
      "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

I thought I had some, but can't find them. I'll have to see if I can get some. It's really not very interesting and should be pretty obvious from the description. Anything in particular you specifically want to see?
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I was looking for the dimensions (found them 5"x5" ???) on the 1/4" plate with the corner knocked off to replace the POS table that came with the Jet 4x6 I have.
          "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

Comment

Ah, glad you found what you needed. Was it one of my posts (don't recall what if anything I posted on that) or someone else? I know I posted at one point for ideas on a quick mount system for a larger miter/fence supporting table. But my little table works very well, and I usually use it horizontal anyway, so I haven't much thought about doing anything else.

Anyway, the other major recommendation I would make is to add the fence opposite the blade on the base. That has probably been the second best mod I've made. It REALLY helps when cutting short pieces to 90* (by far the most common). It also gives me a place to put spacers to keep irregular pieces from trying to twist, and sometimes even a place to put a clamp.

Also consider a taller rigid stand. I built a stand to put the horizontal base/vise at a level where I can use my 18' cantilever shelves as a feed table, and the vertical table is at a nice level for easy hand cutting.

Hehe, now that I think about it, about all I've got left of the orginal saw is the castings, wheels, and guides. And I plan to replace the vise castings when I get down to it on the "todo list".
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Just went and checked. Mine is 4.5" wide by 5" long. The blade teeth are almost exactly 1.25" from the front and 1.25" from the left side. That 1.25" square piece is about as big as will fit down into that well in the base casting. I arrived at my table shape/size by putting some 1/4-20 studs in the mounting holes, punching some matching holes in some card stock (heavy poster board basically), and cutting/testing till it was the biggest possible to go up and down without interfering with anything. I then cut it in 1/4" plate and did some minor grinding/clearancing to finish fit.
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Cool. Thanks a bunch. Paul.

Comment

Spam

I have a Yahoo E-mail address that I list as my address for Yahoo Groups that is used for nothing else.

Comment

I have a Yahoo E-mail address that I list as my address for Yahoo Groups that is used for nothing else.

That's exactly what I did. Thanks. Paul.

Comment

I think I will make one for myself.
                      Thanks Mike

Comment

Originally posted by gundog
                        I think I will make one for myself.

Me too!

Scott

Comment

I made a small modification to my 4x6 saw. I removed the back stationary vise jaw and drilled new holes to move it over toward the blade so that it was slightly past the blade. I then used the saw to cut off the little bit of the end. Now I know exactly where the blade is going to cut when I put a piece in.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I use my short angle iron fence on the opposite side for the same thing.
                            Russ
                            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Working...
                            X