This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Virginia Tech Shooting

Moderator feel free to pull this thread!

Just curious to hear your thoughts on this tradgedy. I wonder how it can happen, 33 dead by one person armed with, apparently, two hand guns. I heard a while back about a program designed by a military official in the U.K. and an ex-special forces drill sergant that was supposed to teach students how to react to a gunman. The idea was that we could teach students to fight back instead of hiding in rooms where they are essentially sitting ducks to a gunman.

As a student myself, i would much rather think that my last moment would be one of action rather than cowering in a classroom. I asked my parents and they felt the same way; if i were in a situation where i was faced by a gunman they would rather know that i had at least tried to fight back. With 5 or more students you'd think they could overcome a lone gunman in a classroom. But who knows...i realize there are always compromising circumstances and i can only imagine what its like to face a someone who is pointing a gun at you.

We had all better hope that they don't discover that the perpetrator was heavily armed with "An illegal homemade automatic firearm. A large cache of similar weapons was discovered in the gunman's garage together with all the necessary industrial machinery to make them. As the weapon was not purchased controls on such weapons had no effect. We must question how it is that a person is able to obtain the necessary equipment to make such weapons."
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Mass murder is like a can of Pringles. Once you pop you can't stop. I know that's tasteless (like Pringles) but that's how a psychologist friend explained it to me.

That said, I really want to know the motive. Hopefully it was just some horrible sick demented nut and not some new form of terrorism... which was my first thought when I heard the news today.

Either way, my prayers are with the survivors.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
        Either way, my prayers are with the survivors.

Ditto

I've got a few friends planning on attending Virginia Tech next year - i wonder if this has changed thier minds.

Evan - not to laugh at an unseemly time, but i must admit i found the statement "We must question how it is that a person is able to obtain the necessary equipment to make such weapons" hillarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          We had all better hope that they don't discover that the perpetrator was heavily armed with "An illegal homemade automatic firearm. A large cache of similar weapons was discovered in the gunman's garage together with all the necessary industrial machinery to make them. As the weapon was not purchased controls on such weapons had no effect. We must question how it is that a person is able to obtain the necessary equipment to make such weapons."

Evan

Almost every one on this list owns enough equipment to build all the full auto weapons they want!

Scott

Comment

I would like to ask you guys a question, We all know that this man was sick in some way, but what do you think makes a person do this? Do you think he was tormented or learned to hate this bad from others? Do you think he had a mental illness? If so do you think the mental illness is genetic or is caused by a physical illness like another disease or a drug addiction or interaction, the reason why I put it that way is because many believe that the labels we give many mental illnesses are just labels of symptoms of the real cause, last but not least -- do you think he had a "score to settle" OR

It would take all of the above.
            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

My “first” though was I wonder what kind of “drugs” the shooter(s) were on. No I am not talking about pot and other illegal ones. But rather the legal ones like Prozac, Riddlin, etc. While these drugs may have helped some people they have turned many others into suicidal zombies. Of course the drug companies are not prone to advertise the undesirable side effects of their wonder drugs.

It will be interesting to see what the “official story” will be. Obviously we already know what the anti-gun crowd will say.

Comment

Oh boy...this is going to open the proverbial "can". The laws are going to come hard and fast now I'm betting.
                And at the end of the day...what difference will it make?
                None...
                If a pshycho wants to kill a bunch of people (and he can't get a gun)he will then be forced to use a car bomb...or run his car into dozens of people at lunchtime or whatever.
                I still can't wrap my head around the reasoning that goes on inside a mass murderers mind.
                My Dad was a sniper in the Canadian Army during WWII. After many years of pestering him "How many Nazi's did he kill?" (I was just a young kid and wanted to hear all about it) he told me...8.
                It sickend him. I found out later that this haunted him for the rest of his life.
                He ended up with serious mental problems that ended up with his death at 43 years.
                He was trained and expected to do this. The world was at war.
                That's why I don't understand how someone can get themselves so riled up as to do a horrible thing like these school shootings etc.
                Mass murder is nothing new unfortunately...so we can hardly blame it on video games or TV. I guess it all boils down to peoples respect for life itself.
                I really feel bad for all the families who lost due to some deranged idiot. The word "Why" is going to be used a lot in the next while.
                Russ
                I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Well??

I think he was really pissed off.

Comment

M.S. Thats one I forgot and im sure there are many, I re-edited my post to include that now, Its so sad, I believe thier must be some kind of way to at least make an attempt to figure people out when something like this goes wrong, Its really the only diagnostic tool we have, and i dont mean just checking into his background, I mean an autopsy that might have to take a half year if nessesary,,, I think there is such a breakdown in society at so many levels but our last saving grace could be that we find a medical conection ------ I dont care what youve been through in your life as far as a "product of your own environment" something like this should never be an option...

Comment

Originally posted by madman
                      I think he was really pissed off.

A madman he was!

Comment

They just said on CCn that he had a 9MM and a .22 pistol

Scott

Comment

If you'd like some insight, go to http://www.violentkids.com and click on "articles" near the bottom of the page. This site is owned/operated by Dr. Helen, a forensic psychologist, who has studied many, many violent kids and found much in common among them.

Regarding guns: The Columbine killers were planning on using bombs, to kill even more.

And, a bill to allow carrying on campus was recently voted down in VA. Actually, it didn't make it out of committee. One person with a CCW might have made a huge difference.

Comment

I graduated from Virginia Tech, in Electrical Engineering, in 1988. Norris Hall, where the second wave of shootings took place, is the Engineering Administrative Offices, including the Dean's office. I took many classes at Norris Hall.

My alma mater will never be the same.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by jdunmyer
                              And, a bill to allow carrying on campus was recently voted down in VA. Actually, it didn't make it out of committee. One person with a CCW might have made a huge difference.
                              Indeed. One thing the Long Island Railroad shooter, the Columbine shooters, the 9/11 terrorists and today's shooter at Virginia Tech had in common was the sure knowledge that their victims would be completely helpless. How many victims might have lived if even 1 or 2% of Virginia Tech's 30,000-ish students and faculty were armed?
                              Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X