Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Yah..... that rack thingie is a pain in the patootie in a shop where the DP is used by everyone.....

Sure and once a day someone will NOT loosen the table and WILL crank the table.... So the rack pouches out a bit more. One day it breaks, maybe....

I like the lifting screw on my DP at home a whole lot more. Nice to use, and also double duty. it will move either the table OR the drilling head.

of course, IT was "used by everyone" in some shop, and one bevel gear was torn about to shreds.... so it ain't all good.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Ford
    I, for one, find myself fairly often moving the table over to the side to do offtable drilling of pieces too tall to stick directly on the table, either standing it on the base of the drill press, or clamped to an angle plate at the edge of the table. So, I appreciate the floating rack.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
    FRETS.COM
    Gryphon Stringed Instruments
    My Home Shop Pages
    So.., maybe what I've viewed as a negative is really a positive. I guess it all depends on one's unique experiences in the way you use it. I admit it has never been something I'd want to fall on my sword over, but rather just a frequent annoyance. Thanks for the alternative views.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Curiosity got the best of me so I had to have a look at it, interesting!

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...X=GB696773&F=0

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/metalmaster/

This tool had a patented radial gib key for the column to prevent what is giving you problems, but I haven't looked at the patent to see how it works.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pace
    replied
    I probably wouldnt know how to use my DP without the big ole 5" X-Y vise sittin on the table. I cant remember the last time I took it off because of something I couldnt finagle around and get it held on it somehow. As for the pivoting table, I find I'll swing it out of the way bout every time I use one of the MANY drum type sanders I use a lot. I put a DC treadmill motor on it and with the variable speed, I can really crank up the R's to sand with and then back off to drill --- course I dont use it to drill nearly as much anymore with a nice mill nearby....

Leave a comment:

• TECHSHOP
    replied
    This sounds like an "off label" use of a hose clamp.

I know, I know, HSM...

Leave a comment:

• BadDog
    replied
    Yep, that's exactly how I use mine. But no, they don't all do that...

If you try to pin yours, good luck. It's lkely very hard which will be difficult to drill. Clamping collar brackets would probably be better. And if there is a toggle on the clamp screw, they could easily be loosened to rotate the rack/table as needed. Hmm, maybe even slide it up closer under the table for less flex if you can easily slide it down as needed.
    Last edited by BadDog; 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Ford
    replied
    I, for one, find myself fairly often moving the table over to the side to do offtable drilling of pieces too tall to stick directly on the table, either standing it on the base of the drill press, or clamped to an angle plate at the edge of the table. So, I appreciate the floating rack.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
    FRETS.COM
    Gryphon Stringed Instruments
    My Home Shop Pages

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    started a topic Drill Press Floating Rack

Drill Press Floating Rack

On my Jet drill press (and perhaps all, ...can't say for sure since I've never seen ALL drill presses) the rack for raising/lowering the table, is free to float somewhat, being held only loosely in place by a ring at top and bottom.

This permits some shifting of the table positioning when the height is changed, so that the central hole in the table is not directly below the spindle.

I'm wondering if there's some specific reason for this design feature. Is there some good reason I should not try to pin that rack firm to the column with screws at top and bottom, and maybe one somewhere in the middle?
Working...
X