Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dialup users only: connection reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialup users only: connection reliability?

I use dialup, partly because I don't want to change my email address.

Some days and times, I cannot get a connection, or get tossed off in a few seconds or a minute.

Other days and times, it stays connected as long as needed.

From that, it APPEARS to depend on what local trunk I get connected thru. But there is also a dependency on weather, rain fouls it up, so the wire into the local switch may also be at fault in part of it.

Also the background noise level is quite cariable, some connections getting a veritable waterfall, and others nothing. That certainly would encourage the modem to drop out, or re-connect at 12,000, which is actually fast, compared to some connections,..... it has "connected" at 9600 before...... And it is consistent with a noisy local trunk.

Do the rest of you dialup users have similar trouble? My ISP tried to tell me my modem was going out, but obviously that is not likely to cause the type of trouble I have. Especially since it happens with differnt computers......

Anyhow, do you other users of dialup get the same trashy connections?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Unless your phone company and all the switches and routers are linked via fiber optic cable you will have all that and more. Heck that is why I dumped dialup years ago. Even if the phone company has fiber optics it is almost a certainty that somewhere along the route there are old cable, analog switching, etc.

Go broadband. Make the email change. You will only have to do it once and most providers today have software that will do all the work for you.
    Life Is Grand

Comment

I am stuck on dialup,DSL is just "days" away they keep telling me.

I used to have trouble with bad connections,until Katrina hit.Now we have nearly all new lines and equipment so it has improved markedly.It is still hard to get a good connection speed wise between 4:30 and 6:00 PM.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Not so. Noise is restricted by tariff rules. Call your phone company and complain. I had noise on my line and called. As long as you pre-test from the box outside to make sure it's not your house wiring, they should fix it. Demand they do so.

I'm on dial up because I don't have a choice out here in the sticks. There's satellite at $60 a month and I believe there may be wireless coming soon but the price is too high for what you get. I mean come on, $60 a month to access the Internet? It should be free with all the commercials you get.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
          I use dialup, partly because I don't want to change my email address.

Some days and times, I cannot get a connection, or get tossed off in a few seconds or a minute.

Other days and times, it stays connected as long as needed.

From that, it APPEARS to depend on what local trunk I get connected thru. But there is also a dependency on weather, rain fouls it up, so the wire into the local switch may also be at fault in part of it.

Also the background noise level is quite cariable, some connections getting a veritable waterfall, and others nothing. That certainly would encourage the modem to drop out, or re-connect at 12,000, which is actually fast, compared to some connections,..... it has "connected" at 9600 before...... And it is consistent with a noisy local trunk.

Do the rest of you dialup users have similar trouble? My ISP tried to tell me my modem was going out, but obviously that is not likely to cause the type of trouble I have. Especially since it happens with differnt computers......

Anyhow, do you other users of dialup get the same trashy connections?
          While your connection problems could be many things, the tip off is when you mention that it changes based on the weather.

Your connection to the local switcher is being affected by the poor quality of the physical connection that your phone company provides you.

Voice can tolerate very poor physical connections....a computer using the same connection will likely not work.

This same poor physical connection will affect any DSL service you might get.

I would sit down with the phone company and tell them that your VOICE service has degraded to the point that it is unusable. They are required to provide you with an usable VOICE connection....they will not care about your data performance.

I am also making the assumption that your inside wiring is okay...you are responsible for its condition while the phone company is responsible for the outside wiring.

FYI...my dialup is 24-33K and I am unable to get DSL or cable.

TMT

Comment

J.
            I'm a bit over 9 miles from the nearest switch and DSL is not an option so they say. I have consistant connections at 49-50k. About the only time that I have problems is at 4 pm which is when the school kids get home and are logging on. I usually just dial back and get in. So for the most part my dial-up works reliably it is just slow.
            lg
            no neat sig line

Comment

Phone line ISP

I had dialup for a long time. It was not good. The best I ever got was like 27k. I am to far away to get DSL, so switched to cable. This is a good set up for me. I am not on the very best speed service but it works so much better that dialup. I think I pay $30 per month.

As to price and what you get, DSL is the best way and the cheapest in our area. Maybe one of these days.

skeeter

Comment

Dial up service

If you have cordless phones on the same line try unplugging them for
                about an hour.That's what i have to do about every ten days.
                a friend who works for ATT told me that.work's for me.

Comment

Not so. Noise is restricted by tariff rules. Call your phone company and complain.
                  Unfortunately, the tariff rules only consider voice connections. There may be noise but if it isn't interfering with a voice conversation then it is considered ok. Your phone line is a voice service, legally. There is no guarantee that it will carry data reliably. Many things can affect the connection besides audible noise. An important factor is signal strength. As the signal strength falls so does the connection speed.

It also matters if your phone line is being digitized at some point on the way to the central office. This is very common in rural areas. The trunk line to an area will be broadband coax which then goes to a distribution hut. The hut contains a multiplexer/demultiplexer which converts the digital signal to analog for the "last mile". The digitizing process messes with the data signal and will prevent a 56K modem from ever connecting at 56K.

Another problem that is very common here is the use of a unit called a "Pair Gain". This digitally places two phone lines on a single copper pair and is often used to provide extra lines when there is a shortage of copper pairs. These units also cause problems with modems and will cause connection speed problems and dropouts.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

noise

Don't know if it still is, but if you complain to the phone company state that you're having noise problems with a fax, not computers, for some reasons modems weren't considered important, but faxes are critical, so they attempt to fix it.

I prefer living in the boonies, so normally have dial-up or satellite. currently in town, so have cable, gonna be a paint when I move back out in the country and go back to dial-up!

ken.

Comment

I told the cable company I had problems, but only when the wind blew or it was raining. They said the problem was on my end. A few days later I see cable trucks driving up and down the road and noticed the noise disapeared. Try telling them it's only when the wind blows and see what they say. (that also puts the problem outside and not inside)
                      Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I have dialup,And i get booted about every 20 minutes.They are going to put fiber optics in soon.I hope this will help out here.

If you have the 600 bucks to pay for the satellite up front the bill wouldn't be to bad.However thats a lot of tool money to set here on the computer and use up....

I have a better use for my money than that.

Comment

double post....sorry!
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

As far as getting booted off, I firmly believe your ISP can be to blame. I've had the opportunity to be set up with several IP's for work in the past few years. I would get the cheapest I could find, to save some money. I would get booted often, reconnect only to have it happen again. I believe these cheap IP's share and lease connections with the bigger IP's, and they take preference over the cheap guys. I got really pissed at the last one, which was Netzero, spent so much time calling and complaining I cancelled. Called Earthlink, set up with them. Same phone line, same location, and never had a moment's trouble. Sure, they were more expensive, but service is service.

I use a local IP at home for dial-up, and while the best speed I get is 28.8K, it is very reliable.

I have posted in the past of giving up Hughes satellite because of service problems, and cost.

Comment

Well, I HAVE complained to the phone co, and have had the connection improve for a while.

Since it is probably NOT the very local wire anymore, it seems related to the connection IN the telco stuff.

I may be booted and have noise , then re-dial immediately and get a great, noise-free connection. That's why I think THEY have noisy lines somewhere, and it is NOT local.

DSL is possible, I think, although despite being in the middle of an urban area, we could not get that service.

Cable? Nope, I don't want to sell my soul to the cable co...... we have Charter, 'nuff said.

I have so many places that my email is, and that have to have all changes confirmed via the old email address (insert rolled eyes here) that it sould be a pain of major proportions.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X