cdco power feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdco power feed?

I'm ready to order a power feed (x) for my old bridgeport and am wondering if the one enco sells is worth $100 more than the one cdco has in their catalog I've read a couple posts about some stuff that people have ordered from cdco with mixed results. I got some cheep r8 collets from Kitts & they wouldnt even fit into the spindle. any opinions on the feed unit would be appreciated.

mike

I have had a CDCO power feed on my Rockwell mill for a couple of years for no problem.

I have little doubt that most of the Chicom power feeds differ only in the sticker with the name brand, and that your chances of getting a good one or a lemon are as good with one supplier as another.

The recent post on a replacement case for one bears out that assumption.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...zly+power+feed
    Jim H.

Comment

JC: Does that powerfeed from CDCO mate up to your lead screw end? My Rockwell lead screw end measures 9/16" most powerfeeds I've looked at are set up for 5/8". Thanks
      I bury my work

Comment

I had to make some minor modifications to the Rockwell to mate up a Bridgeport style drive.

I basically made a new bearing bracket, modified the leadscrew slightly and bushed the bevel gear of the drive to get it all to work.

Jim H.

Comment

That PF looks just like my Grizzly. I was wanting to get one for the Y axis. Any suggestions on doing that?
          Lately I have had many jobs that I could have used the PF on the Y and may be a reason to look into CNC conversion later on.
          Life Is Grand

Comment

I recently installed a CDCO PF on the 'Y' axis of my ENCO Bridgeport clone ($195 + frt...$20?) and I'm well pleased. A little minor modification to adapt to the ENCO's slight difference from a BP......

Was so pleased with it, a couple wks later I ordered up the 'Z' PF ($220 + frt) I'm prolly like a lots of folks and was a bit leery of the knee crank situation re a PF hooked up to it ---- will it beat me to death unexpectedly, will it be difficult to hand crank those fine feeds, etc? Well, its designed so the knee crank has a spring that keeps it disengaged unless you push it into the clutch teeth, so using the PF just lets the crank spin freely on the shaft, --- as for fine feed, here was the big surprise.....the variable speed knob allows an unbelievably slow speed, I really think it may be more controllable than by hand! But, (heres that "but")--- It, the 'Z', was quite a pill to install. It was giving me a fit so I rang up Lane Sisson (who is a BP 'guru') and he came over to be a bit stumped also. Turns out This ENCO mill was a good bit different than a BP in this area anyway. However, Lane has been into several of these and pronounced mine as being the only difficult one he had run into. Figuring out disassembly and then GETTING it apart ... it was tight... Then the clutch fingers didnt match, PF had 9 like a BP, and my mill had 7! so, had to mill up a piece.

So now I've got PF's on all 3 axes and its quite nice, thank you!!
            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

I'm looking at ordering one of CodCos (that's I think of them as to their name) power feeds and adapting it to the Hand Wheel Shaft of the lathe for a variable speed power feed like on a Hardinge. I really do not like the idea of using the lead screw to power the feeds. When I do it I plan on submiting an article to HSM on the process. Part of a number of articles I want to do (when I get time) on "Hardingizing a PM 1027 Bench Lathe". Other ideas are incorporating a Hardinge style lead screw reversing system for threading along with a cam action compound retraction mechanism and possibly a new spindle using the Hardinge 4D taper spindle nose with intrergral 5C collets.
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

cdco power feed?

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                I'm prolly like a lots of folks and was a bit leery of the knee crank situation re a PF hooked up to it ---- will it beat me to death unexpectedly, will it be difficult to hand crank those fine feeds, etc? Well, its designed so the knee crank has a spring that keeps it disengaged unless you push it into the clutch teeth, so using the PF just lets the crank spin freely on the shaft, --- as for fine feed, here was the big surprise.....the variable speed knob allows an unbelievably slow speed, I really think it may be more controllable than by hand!
                So now I've got PF's on all 3 axes and its quite nice, thank you!!
                Bill,

The spring loaded handle is a comon thing on the horizontal mills, like the Cincinnati #2L. As long as some wise acre doesn't remove the spring. If so, it will catch you in the crotch every time.

The Servo brand knee lift (Big Bucks) has a hand wheel with no handle as a safety precaution. The fine feed on these units is slow enough to use with the boring head for a fine finish. They work great!
                Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Thanks Bill... I will check into one.
                  And to think I once said I was happy with what I have!
                  Life Is Grand

Comment

Working...
                  X