OT Windows Vista headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Windows Vista headache

had to buy a new laptop and Vista was what was available. After tracking down the hidden links to make the directories etc available and generally bury as much of the latest fad stuff as possible, it seems to stay out of my face reasonably well, except for this: many of the files and folders come up "access denied" even though I am logged in as administrator. Haven't spent the time required to track down a solution yet, but what a pain in the butt...

Get yourself WinXP or 2K. You can go legit or pirated depending on your morals. Re-format and install new OS and the problem is solved

Ed

Comment

It seems there have been a number of posts lately with computer problems. I say, if you have computer problems, and your hobby is not debugging your computer,

Get a Mac.

neonman

Just couldn't resist....

Comment

Macs are nice when they work, which is indeed most of the time.

At work, we had a couple for the graphics folks. They worked well.

But, when they were "broke", they were SO broke....... we had to get relays of ever-smarter folks to fix the software /OS problems.

So you rarely have a problem with a Mac. But if you DO, it may be a real doozie.......

As for stepping BACK from Vista to XP, etc, I understand that may NOT be possible..... The OS may be required. I have had that with other OS in the past, and Vista seems to be more "locked-in".

There were forward upgradeable machines, Xp machines that you could "downgrade" to Vista....I have one, and much as I hate XP, it ain't gettin vista......

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Sorry, I can't help with Vista, yet. I still haven't received my "free" copy (cost $12 for shipping).
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Likewise, I've not fooled with Vista too much. My current clients are mostly corporate and still targeting XP. Some of my dev tools (always trouble on a new OS because of the way they dig in deep to do what they do) gave trouble on Vista, so much so that I just rolled back to XP because there was no return on the trouble needed to work it out...

I agree with Jay about the Mac too. They are much simpler and easier to use MOST of the time. But as he said, when there is trouble, all the stuff they dilligently hide from you (even a developer to some extent!) is EXACTLY what you need to troubleshoot the problem.

Another problem is that all the stuff Macs hide from you will make it nearly impossible to do anything that they don't just GIVE to you "out of the box". For most folks, particularly those inclined to go to a Mac in the first place, this is fine as they want what comes "out of the box" and usually don't even question that there might be anything else. But the first time you want to do something "different"... Woe unto you who should DARE to deviate from the World Vision as laid out for you by Apple! For you shall find no succor in the land of Macintosh and OS X!
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Jim, check out this link for a possible solution:

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/access_denied.aspx

BadDog, remember what PT Barnum said about operating systems ... "there's a succor born every minute" Applies especially to Vista.

Comment

No succor on Mac, but plenty of suckers...
                Russ
                Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

When I first had an opportunity to use a Mac back in the 80's I crashed it within 30 seconds. I then decided I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    When I first had an opportunity to use a Mac back in the 80's I crashed it within 30 seconds. I then decided I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

I don't think they crash that easy now

Scott

Comment

I'm sure they don't. Unix is pretty stable. I just didn't need one more operating system to deal with. I not only was learning Commodore and PC systems, I also had the various new and product unique embedded operating systems in various Xerox equipment to deal with. I also had some dealings with the proprietary Xerox Star operating system. I didn't need one more.

Comment

Originally posted by scott96088
                        I don't think they crash that easy now

Scott
                        A few years ago they did, you could just drag the hard drive over to the trash can. It was great for getting even with an a** IT person .
                        Last edited by dan s; 04-19-2007, 10:42 AM.
                        -Dan S.
                        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Vista

It's been called the winME of the new millenium, I have only met face to face one person who claims happines with vista, I think the fact that it's thier first ever computer has a lot to do with it.
                          most people I know are asking me to find XP or 2k for them, I normally reccommend Suse.

I tried Vista on my computer, and it seemed very sluggish, my computer isn't top notch, but with a 3800x2, 3g ram, and 7900gt vid card it takes a bit to make it stumble.

Figure for all the problems finding working drivers, and programs that work right, most people would be farther ahead with a linux distro and an old copy of 2k, and keep a few bucks in their pocket.

ken.

Comment

I recently upgraded to a new system. Since it is supposed to be up to the task, I thought I'd try the 64-bit Vista. What a nightmare. 64-bit just adds another set of problems. Nothing was totally trashed, but bad enough, and every time you turn around, vista hands you another popup.

I never had trouble with regular XP, so I thought I'd try XP 64-bit. Not really great either but much less hassle than Vista.

If I had it to do all over again (and may still) I'd just go with 32-bit XP again.

XP's new default look (back then) was all rounded compared to the previous. I tried it for a year or so, but I still like the classic look so I switched back. Then Vista added shadows and translucency. That's "dirty-looking" or something in my opinion. Just looks really busy for no reason.

If you flush ME (Miserable Edition) I guess Windows peaked somewhere after 2000. It just keeps getting worse.

Comment

I just read somewhere that Dell has resumed offering XP as an option after it started offering only Vista and got a storm of protest from buyers.
                              ----------
                              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                              X