5c headstock Bushing Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5c headstock Bushing Q

Quick question. I have been shopping around for a 5c collet chuck for my colchester 15x48. L1 long nose, is making it difficult to find used, and new is big, big money. I looked at some articles at making your own, which brought me to my question. Is there any reason I can't turn a bushing for my spindle taper and that accepts 5c collets and use a drawbar through the back of the spindle instead of a "closer" or chuck style? I have plenty of spindle diameter for a 5c adapter, 2.125 through bore. Any tips, pointers, or right ups on similar adapters so I can make sure my plan is on the right track? TIA

Later,
    Jason

Sure you can,easiest way would be to buy a MT adapter to fit the headstock taper in your lathe,slap it in and bore the 5-c taper into it in the spindle.Add a couple witness marks so it lands back in the same spot everytime.It will actually have perfect runout that way.

Then it's a matter of boring an ID thread to fit the collet which IIRC is a 1-1/4-20 thread.A piece of 1-3/8 x .095" wall DOM or Cro-mo tubing should do the trick along with a bushing at the rear to center the tube in the lathes spindle bore and possibly one up front to keep the tube centered in the bore there.

A handwheel on the end is easy and a neat feature would be a needle thrust bearing between the handwheel shoulder and the lathe spindle for easy tightening.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Collet

jason
      I have an adaptor for my Colchester lathe (13 x 40) and used it for man years until I bought a Royal 5C nose unit. This moves the work out a little from the headstock and makes working with the collets easier. I have the old Royal lever opearted closer and I understand it is no longer in production. I suspect Royal could supply the adapter to fit your lathe. (5C to spindle bore) You will need a knock out bar to remove the adaptor but that is a simple job to fabricate.

JRW

Comment

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Especially the drawbar part. I found info on some older lathes having I believe a 4c taper in the spindle, but what my searches kept turning up was how to build a draw bar for a SB lathe... W/ no picture that I found, the part about bushings on the drawbar was what had me confused the most. It makes more sense now knowing they are to keep the drawbar centered.

My spindle taper appears to be either proprietary, or a short MT6. It is 2.25 major, and 2.125 minor. I have yet to measure the length of it, but I will probably just turn my own bush from cold rolled rather than mess around trying to find unhardened MT6 adapter for a reasonable price to cut down.

Thanks for the info so far. Minimal runout is what I am after as I am currently only using the lathe for smaller work, and the 12" 3 jaw that is on there is not real happy about holding smaller stock concentric...

Thanks,
        Jason

Comment

Originally posted by J. R. Williams
          jason
          I have an adaptor for my Colchester lathe (13 x 40) and used it for man years until I bought a Royal 5C nose unit. This moves the work out a little from the headstock and makes working with the collets easier. I have the old Royal lever opearted closer and I understand it is no longer in production. I suspect Royal could supply the adapter to fit your lathe. (5C to spindle bore) You will need a knock out bar to remove the adaptor but that is a simple job to fabricate.

JRW
          Thanks for the info. I am going to try the DIY approach first, I need to make a MT center bush too, so it will be good experience. If I fail miserably, I will look up royal!

Thanks,
          Jason

Comment

I made my own adapter for my 11 inch Logan. Logan makes their own special taper.

jim sehr

[

Comment

Working...
            X