• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iirc?

Comment

If I recall correctly

Comment

Is something being recalled?
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I made a similar table, larger, so I have to remove it for horizontal operation. No big deal. One refinement I added, you can see four set screws with which I can adjust the table to be accurately perpendicular to the blade.

Comment

How do you keep the swarf of the drive wheel ? A swarf wiper wears out or do you have a material that lasts. Check this link out
            http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/band...and-fence.html

Comment

I bought one of these things somewhere in the early 60's from Montgomery Ward. Made in Taiwan . Looks exactly like the current HF version. Back before EBAY, local flee markets usually had old elec motors for sale for a couple of bucks. So I have accumulated a shelf full of old motors. I have probably have used maybe 4 or 5 of these over the years on this saw. Usually I have carelessly let something jam and fried the used motor. 1/3 hp will work but 1/2 hp is much better. Cleaned the old axle type grease out and replaced it once as it had left the bearing area dry. That's it for repairs. Great tool. I bought one of the little HF dollys that are always on sale, stripped the casters off and mounted them to a plank that the saw sits on. I roll it out of the way to make room in my smallish shop when not needed.
              Jim

Comment

I've had the 5x8 version of the saw for about 15 years. Mine came with a very small table on it for vertical use, it's about 1.5" x 1.2" or so made from about 12 gauge material. It works, but I do occasionally put on a larger table. I just assumed all the 4x6s had the same table as well.

Comment

Here's the version I made a few years back, it stays in place all the time and the fence is SO handy.

I also made an embarrassingly crude foot switch to shut off the saw if things seem to be getting sketchy while sawing little things by hand.

Last edited by ZINOM; 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Washing machine motors, furnace blowers, dryer motors they all can be put to good use. I have a washing machine motor running my Bridgeport "M" head. It's a two speed motor so that doubles the speeds available. It will run a 3/4" end mill, maybe not in a production mode, but enough for my purposes.

Comment

Stealing an idea I saw somewhere, probably on this forum, I built a pivoting table that stays in place, but swings out of the way for horizontal sawing:

For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

OK with the slot in the Improved table facing back, how do you change the blade without removing the table?
                        PS On motors, WW Grainger now just Graingers used to just sell wholesale now sells more or less to everyone, get a price from them on a replacement.
                        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

I remove the table (two screws) when I change blades...which doesn't usually happen often so it's not an issue for me.

John

Comment

Originally posted by ligito View Post
                            I have a saw just like that and I smoked the 1/3 hp motor.
                            The new model uses a 1 hp, should I upgrade?
                            No, I'd stick with your blown-up motor. No point in upgrading to one that works.

:-)

Comment

Working...
                            X