new article available on mill vise soft jaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new article available on mill vise soft jaws

Apparently every professional machinist is well acquainted with soft jaws but I was somehow not in the room when the topic was being discussed until recently. If you are interested in the making and value of soft jaws, please see

http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/sj/sj.pdf

As always, comments and corrections are welcome. My hope is that those with experience will help me to enlarge this article to include more applications.

Rick Sparber
    [email protected]
    web site: http://rick.sparber.org
    Rick Sparber

[email protected]
    web site: rick.sparber.org

Rick...good article! Now you've got me thinking. I also have a crap parallel set. This looks like a better way.
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I'm going to make a set this weekend.....Thanks for the post

pete

Comment

I love soft jaws. The first shop I worked in, used them almost exclusively - every 6 or 8 months, I'd find myself making up raw jaw blanks, for use in a variety of jobs, from a 12 foot lengths of 6061. We had an entire rollaway filled with them. As versatile as they are with a manual machine, with CNC they become a godsend - like for clamping round parts, just mill out to size..

You guys should also look at buying the Snapjaws screws, and using their nifty quick change setup, just don't go throwing money away on the jaws themselves, they're easy enough to make.

HTRN
        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

I would add a relief in the corner of the steps.
          chris

Comment

I recently purchased a new vise for the corner of my lathe bench as I was moving vises around. The first thing I did was make aluminum soft jaws for it. Soft jaws are much more suitable for most machining uses.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by rgsparber
              As always, comments and corrections are welcome. My hope is that those with experience will help me to enlarge this article to include more applications.

Rick Sparber
              [email protected]
              web site: http://rick.sparber.org
              Drill & tap the ends for stop devices.

Parallel Vee groove version, with end stop above, for cylindrical work.
              Les H.
              The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Thanks for posting that - soft jaws are just the ticket for a current job for which work holding was a problem.
                Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Soft jaws are really nice. I've been using them since getting my first Kurt vise. I like the quick change setup, it'll make it more likely I pop them on and off and make up special purpose soft jaws. For example, how about some extra long ones to improve grip on long workpieces:

I've seen examples of this where one set of soft jaws was used with two Kurt vises to make a really long clamping area.

Here's another soft jaw tip:

If you're in a hurry, you needn't tram the mill, just take a pass on the soft jaws. Whatever is gripped on that step is going to be aligned with the path the mill cut.

Best,

BW

PS Les, work stops are great time savers. I made mine to fit on the vise rather than the jaws:

Last edited by BobWarfield; 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM.
                  ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                  Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

If you are interested in the making and value of soft jaws, please see
                    Nice article Rick.

What are the dimensions of the step you milled in the jaws?
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by cmiller231
                      I would add a relief in the corner of the steps.
                      chris
                      Chris, do you mean in the area of the vertical and horizontal surfaces? It makes a lot of sense

I guess it could be done with just a hack saw as long as it was deburred and cleaned. No precision needed.

Rick
                      Rick Sparber

[email protected]

Comment

They were buried in the text: 0.1" x 0.1"
                        Rick Sparber

[email protected]

Comment

Les,

Do I have your permission to add your ideas to the article and put your name into the acknolegement section?

Rick
                          Rick Sparber

[email protected]

Comment

They were buried in the text: 0.1" x 0.1"
                            Sorry Rich, I read that section where it said you took a finishing cut of 0.095 and then .005, and I thought you meant on the faces of the jaws themselves, but you were describing the step cuts.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Les,

Do I have your permission to add your ideas to the article and put your name into the acknolegement section?

Rick
                              Sure they have been around thirty years as I know, Also Noted above, bore recesses for round parts, (two jaw chuck style) for flat gears, dog bone shaped parts and so on.
                              Les H.
                              The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

Working...
                              X