Miniature genset (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature genset (pics)

Recently, I finished the PMR dynamo kit and it turned out nicely. I'm powering it with an Elmer Verburg design two cylinder marine engine. An airbrush compressor provides enough oomph to light a small bulb. I'm running it a bit slower than recommended so the open circuit voltage is only 5 volts instead of the 12 volts PMR says it can generate.

Here's a closeup of the dynamo itself.

and a view from the drive side.

The dynamo kit is a nice starter kit for the newbie. No complicated machining and relatively inexpensive (~$45).
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Shades of "Trustee from the Toolroom"

Nice work Marv.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

You know, John, I was thinking of that all day as I put it together. Now, if I only knew of a ship with a concrete-encased box full of money and jewels.
      Regards, Marv

Comment

Marv,

Nice job, I have been thinking of doing that one myself. Just need to get off of my duff and order the casting.

I notice nothing to indicate scale in the picture. Can you tell me how big it is? (LXWXH) Thanks.
        Last edited by PHiers; 05-09-2007, 08:14 PM.
        Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Dynamo

Marv
          Elegant projects, the Engine and Dynamo. Next step should be the addition of a long flat belt drive.

JRW

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
            Shades of "Trustee from the Toolroom"

Nice work Marv.

Don't give it away. At someone else's suggestion I bought a copy and am on about page 35 !! This guy Keith Stewart would make me a good neighbor
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Picked the kit up at NAMES and it looked nice. Now I have to get around to its. Along line real nice looking job, on both engine and dynamo
              Glen
              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by PHiers
                Marv,

Nice job, I have been thinking of doing that one myself. Just need to get off of my duff and order the casting.

I notice nothing to indicate scale in the picture. Can you tell me how big it is? (LXWXH) Thanks.
                Without actually going out to the shop and measuring it, I'd say it's roughly 2 x 1.5 x 1.5".

PMR now shows the dynamo as "out of stock" which may have something to do with the fact that somebody on Ebay is selling completed dynamos for $180.
                Regards, Marv

Comment

Thanks for the info Marv.

Heck yours is probalby nice enough to bring 280.00 on ebay.
                  Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz
                    PMR now shows the dynamo as "out of stock" which may have something to do with the fact that somebody on Ebay is selling completed dynamos for $180.
                    Penn Tool Co. sells a lot of the PMR kits for less than PMR does...

Edit: Just checked, and they have 20 of the PM Research Kits, but not the dynamo.
                    Last edited by lazlo; 05-10-2007, 12:47 PM.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                    X