Another project complete (gate 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another project complete (gate 2)

This is a simple and utilitarian rancher style iron gate for the new yard fence I put up to keep the deer out and the Beardog in. Quick project, I started it yesterday afternoon. I made all the parts including the spring latch and the hinges. The outer frame is bought material, the verticals are scrap thinwall shipping frame pieces. For that reason most of it is gas welded as I don't have a wire feed welder or TIG. I would have been done quicker but I also had chores to do.

Note that the grass and the leaves on the shrubs are only just beginning to come out now. In another month everything will be well greened up.

Here is detail of the spring latch. I haven't seen one in many years so I just designed my own. Works perfectly.

Hinges are made by welding some bolts together with washers.

Closeup of fit and finish.

The latch striker is case hardened to prevent wear.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Great work, as usual, Evan.

Comment

The Beardog was quick to grasp the implications of the gate. I previously had wire in the place of the gate. When she saw the gate and the fact that it opened thus providing a possible means of escape she did a quick check on my calculations. She came up to the gate and in rapid succession placed her head into the gap between each pair of bars, checking the fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
        The Beardog was quick to grasp the implications of the gate. I previously had wire in the place of the gate. When she saw the gate and the fact that it opened thus providing a possible means of escape she did a quick check on my calculations. She came up to the gate and in rapid succession placed her head into the gap between each pair of bars, checking the fit.
        Bear Dog reminds me of my Black lab. We had just bought a house and the dog was seeing the property for the first time. He notices the neighbors house out behind the new house and takes off like a rocket. He didn't stop till he hit the fencing wire (just like yours) and bounced off of it. He forgot about the other dog for a minute and gave the fence a good looking over! Unlike your fence this one only had a few post and they were conventional metal T stock so they bent when he landed in the fence like a fishnet! As I used to tell him all the time, "he was just a fairly good dog" but he knew I was kidding and what I really thought of him.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I bet your dog will figure out the spring latch!

Comment

I bet your dog will figure out the spring latch!
            I would normally agree. But, for some reason she is extremely reluctant to open doors even if they are already open a crack. She knows how but at most may give it a tiny nudge with her muzzle to see if it moves. She is also not a digger but I put the cedar board under the gate anyway just to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              I would normally agree. But, for some reason she is extremely reluctant to open doors even if they are already open a crack. She knows how but at most may give it a tiny nudge with her muzzle to see if it moves. She is also not a digger but I put the cedar board under the gate anyway just to make sure.

Nice gate,reminds me of what I have to do this coming week.

The gate/door thing must be a dog thing.Every dog I have owned did the exact same thing,I always had to open the door since they wouldn't push on through even on command.My current dog does the same.

I believe this lends credit to the statement-"from dogs humans get loyalty and companionship,from humans dogs get opposable thumbs"
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Our standard Schnauzer has no problems opening doors. She'll reach up with paws and turn the knob or even easier depress a lever. We had to start locking any door we didn't want her going through.

"From dogs humans get loyalty and companionship..."

She's loyal by her sights, but then she is a Terrier with a bit different attitude than say a Lab. She's a little less interested in pleasing and more interested in getting her way.

Fortunately, she's not the alpha dog around here yet! LOL

Nice gate, Evan. I took a blacksmith course and made a bunch of that sort of thing. Very relaxing. We used a forge rather than a tubing bender, but the results were very similar.

Best,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Nice gate.

Green and extremly high pollen here. Mowing once a week here now.. two days, and it could be mowed again if I was picky.

My crazy new pup, he is jealous of the motorcycle, grabs the front wheel. I am so afraid he'll dissasemble it. He is no alpha dog like butch was thou.

WHAT kinda gas welder you using? harris aircraft? henrob? cutting torch?
                  The new tig, (year old now) is kicking.. a pretty good investment so far thou it has not made me any money. I have improved my skills so I can say I can tig.
                  Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I have a Victor set I bought many years ago. I have several regular torch tips, a cutting torch and a rosebud. I have a real good set of goggles with a flip up filter and cheater lenses installed. I just bought some much bigger tanks from my wife with a part of my tax return. Sure is nice to have lots of gas.

Comment

Evan, you really should consider a wire feed at least?

Something tells me you are.... nevermind.
                      Gene

Comment

Not many people gas welding anymore. I can gas weld almost as fast as arc. The trick is using enough heat. Instead of heating up the entire area you dump in enough heat to just melt the weld zone. This works because steel is a lousy heat conductor. The main limit is that if the flame is too high it will blow the puddle around. This can be used to advantage if it isn't too strong and some of the welds require no rod.

Here is some gas welding on thinwall tubing (bars on my computer room):

Comment

It can also be convenient for out of position welding and welding fatigue cracks since it tends to anneal the work hardened steel. For instance, this is the best way to repair an automotive door where a sticky hinge or out of adjustment striker have broken out the bulkhead. I used to love gas welding, but it's been many years since I did more than cut with O/A. GMAW is just so effortless that it has made me lazy...
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Wish I could gas weld like that. I can do fairly well with arc but have never been able to do much with acetylene.

Comment

Had to learn gas welding before Tig in my welding class. They're very similar, except Tig is harder--LOL.

I enjoyed gas welding. Very relaxing. There is tremendous value in having a gas set around. Highly recommended!

Best,

BW
                              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Working...
                              X