• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Sure different to my ex-Army WLA (1943?) model H-D

Deleted/edited-out
    Last edited by oldtiffie; 08-19-2007, 06:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ProGunOne
    replied
    Oh... Forgot to mention...... Nice lawn mower too........

Leave a comment:

• Rustybolt
    replied
    Nice ride, Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Mad Scientist
    replied
    But a couple marbles in the paint cup, and shake periodically to keep the metalflakes from settling. That should help.

Leave a comment:

• Dawai
    replied
    paint everything with metalflake at once, paint enough coats so it buries. Having one shallow coat and dry, when you rub it rough to make the next coat bond, you can rub off the color on the flake.

My fairing does not match the bike, has less metalflake, even thou I used the same measuring spoon and amount of clear in the gun.

A pain to make match, takes a better painter than me.

With house of Kolor clear uc35, don't let it dry, but tack out where it does not pull stringers when you touch a edge. Once it tacks out shoot another coat. It all bonds without sanding between coats. If you miss your recoat time, let it sit for 24 hours.

USE a respriarator or die A early sick death.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Nice job but too bad you got all those little dust specks in it.

Only kidding - thats a nice looking bike. Was it hard to deal with the metal flake paint? I heard that that stuff can be kind of tempermental to spray.

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Nice dog Dave, and nice job. Thats a beautiful looking bike ,wish I owned it and you have great roads for riding a bike were you live have you been to Savanah letely loved it when I was there good luck and have fun Alistair

Leave a comment:

• Mad Scientist
    replied
    Most people can appreciate a good looking custom paint job. A few are actually able to appreciate the amount of work needed to create it.

“good job!”

Leave a comment:

• wirewrkr
    replied
    David, do you all your own "bodywork, ie, filling sanding etc.?
    I could learn to paint but have not developed the fine art of prep work yet.
    I guess it's all in the patience factor. sure would like to do some nice paint work on the custom xl1200 I'm working on currently.
    Lots of BMWs in the shop that need paint too. You've inspired me, thanks.
    Robert

Leave a comment:

• aboard_epsilon
    replied
    Bike flip-flops from deep blue to purple.. it is purple today,
    yeah you got it ...sort of mood paint

had that colour on on a kawasaki Z650SR I owned

in cloudy conditions it was purple brite sunlight made it blue...at night it was almost black.

all the best.mark

Leave a comment:

• Dawai
    replied
    You have to get my dogs attention, I take my finger, put on my nose, he looks me in the eye and I speak, HE understands. He can follow directions spoken in english, never trained to do things.

Scary how much. I looked out to see a peanut butter jar with some left in the bottom, I told him to go get it, he did, brought it back, gave it to me and I cut it down so he could lick the bottom bit out. My wife was sitting there, she still talks about that episode.

A lot more strange things than that has happened around here. It took less than five minutes to teach him to go look out the window to see if anyone was here, it took Butch about a week.

Nice pup. Pretty colors.

Leave a comment:

• ProGunOne
    replied
    Nice looking bike and dog, he has more white on his chest than my (Roxie)female, a brindle Am-Staff Terrior. Best and smartest dog I've ever owned. She listens exceptionally well, much better than the other two shes in the house.

Leave a comment:

• Dawai
    replied
    DP:

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Hous...chart_hok.html Paint chips for the easiest to use paint I have ever had. make a run, sand it out. don't have to redo.

This is the first time I have painted a bike alone. Mikey is busy building houses in his subdivision development. He is still the clearcoat man. THOU checking out the fairing I have figured out that too. He used to paint on a paintline at a office furniture plant. You get used to depending on "other people" instead of developing skills of your own. Painting bores Mikey to death, he is very good at it thou.

You price bike paint? good god man.. there is a local painter who paints one bike a month and pays his building rent and his payday for a month.

It's not hard. If I can, anyone can.. the paint gun is a $99 devibiliss, the airbrush is a $109, the paint total with the cup of metalflake I used 1/8th teaspoon was $334. SO, somewhere around $500, (had the compressor)

Aboard: I just wanna have some fun before I die. Not sure, no plans, thou I'd like to get up and see my canadian friends, my friend in Iowa, my friend in California, Colorado and Kansas, and..
    Being sick for a couple years made me appreciate good health, thou mine is not perfect I am enjoying the bike.

Bike flip-flops from deep blue to purple.. it is purple today, cloudy.. camera lies.. the ghost flames are perhaps a lil too invisible.. I should've added some gold flake..

After you run a baggie in that HVLP, no other paintgun is desired.. turn it upside down, pull the baggie, two teaspoons of thinner and gun is clean.. I did have to make a nipple inserter after I broke the plastic one thou.. to pin in the baggie.
    Last edited by Dawai; 05-11-2007, 09:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aboard_epsilon
    replied
    You got the same spraygun as me dave ..

nice job... sort of midnight blue,

are you planning much long distance riding on it .

that bike will soak those miles up with ease

all the best.mark

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    Nice job on that paint, David.

I've got a green '97 Road King - put a 103" engine in it last year. This year it gets the paint job. Too many cross-country trips with strapped on baggage, helmets, etc., have created some worn spots through the clear-coat and hell, it's getting old - needs something new that isn't chromed

Another web site I host and own has a photo gallery at http://TheVirtualBarAndGrill.com/gallery - Harleys only. Add yours

I had to hide the front page because I was losing (and paying for) too much bandwidth to Google and all the other web crawlers. They don't honor the robots.txt file very well (tells them were not to go) and my bill last month went up $500 just for bandwidth. I need to find a reliable list of bots to put in my packet filter. No point them getting rich burning up my bandwidth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X