X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ot: Oops!

I'll bet there is an interesting story behind this picture

I just need one more tool,just one!

I hear that when the nuclear reactor experiment was being constructed at Hallam Station in Nebraska they dropped the reactor vessel and it rolled into a corn-field during construction.

That said, what exactly are we looking at there? A header or steam-drum for a big boiler?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
      I'll bet there is an interesting story behind this picture
      I'll bet there is. Thank God I'm not the truck driver telling it!

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
        That said, what exactly are we looking at there? A header or steam-drum for a big boiler?
        -I might be mistaken, but that looks kinda like a gauge at the near end center. Some pressure vessel, but there's not enough insulation for a steam header or boiler... Almost looks like a big propane cylinder.

Yep, I'd like to know the story behind it too.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I'd like to see the rest of the trailer they were using to haul it on. From that angle it looks way to long for the trailer that you can see in the picture.
          Jonathan P.

Comment

Yeah, looks like it was one of those two part trailers like they use for telephone poles around here, a small platform trailer on the truck and a set of wheels on the other end.

that would make your heart sink watching that thing come off the trailer in front of you.

Ken.

Comment

My bet is a propane or possibly an ammonia tank. I wonder if there were some sort of steerable wheels on the back. The rigging to tie down the tank on the trailer looks kinda sloppy. The machinery in the background looks like a pile driver. I wonder if some rough road in a construction zone was their undoing.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

The machinery at the back is a hydralic crane probably being used to pick up the back end of the vessel and put it back on the trailer extension (we call them dollies here in the oilfield).

Larry

Comment

I hope he didn't swerve to miss a cat or something.

There are a lot of uses for a big semi-portable pressure vessel like that. These days the pipeline companies are being required to minimize methane releases when they do major maintenance on natural gas pipelines. They used to (and still do at times) just release the gas to the air when they have to blow down a segment of line to replace or repair a section.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It would have to be a two part trailer, and the rear part probably steered itself into the ditch.

A picture from teh other side would probably show it behind the back of the pressure vessel, slightly mashed.

The crane looks like a regular folding boom crane though. The lattice boom is tapered, and has what appears to be an attachment fitting at what is now the top.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Probably looks like this one.

Comment

Local Oops that happened last week

It's one of the most visible foul-ups in Snohomish County. That is, except for the fact that it's sinking a couple of inches every day.

Jim Clemetson, 48, of Everett, was attempting to cut a driveway last month to his mother's property on Ebey Island, just north of the U.S. 2 trestle.

That plan was bogged down when a 20-metric ton excavator that he rented got stuck in the mud.

"It's quite a freaking mess," Clemetson said. "I've had nothing but troubles lately."

He says he paid a contractor to pull the excavator out of the mud, but, after a week of trying, the yellow 2006 John Deere 200 fell on its side and filled with sludge.

A man working with the contractor inside the excavator narrowly escaped injury, he said.

Clemetson said he fears the equipment rental company will hold him responsible for the $140,000 to $200,000 machine.

The state Department of Ecology is also demanding something be done.

Department of Ecology spokesman Larry Altose said the fuel was drained from the excavator before it tipped, and it does not appear as though hydraulic fluid, oil or contaminants from the machine are leaking into the water.

Clemetson said he wanted to use the property to store native trees that he digs up and sells to landscapers and nurseries.

He said he decided to cut the driveway only after learning that he had no access to his family's 4.5-acre parcel, which was recently purchased for $65,000.

Ellen Steck, vice president of marketing for RSC Equipment Rental in Scottsdale, Ariz., said the company is still figuring out how it will reclaim the equipment.

The Clemetsons' land is flanked by protected wetlands and private land, whose owner is demanding money and legal protection for Clemetson to enter.

"All of us at RSC take this situation very seriously and we will provide any needed information to authorities," she said, reading from a prepared statement.

The sight is prompting truckers to crook their necks as they drive along the elevated highway east of Everett.

"It seems to be sinking a few inches every day," said Rudy Horak, who drives a cement truck for Rinker Materials across the span about five times a week.

Horak was so curious that after work, he hiked down for a closer look at the submerged excavator.

He said he ran into the brother of another trucker who was doing the same thing.

Bruce King, Clemetson's neighbor, who allowed him to drive the excavator across his land, said he gets about two visitors a day asking about the equipment.

He said on Thursday a group of about 30 people hiked through the foul-smelling muck and downed brush to look.

Government officials, tow companies, even people from competing rental companies have stopped by.

King, who runs a small poultry and bee farm off 55th Avenue SE, said he feels sympathy for Clemetson, and hopes insurance will cover any remaining expenses.

He said he extended an offer to RSC Equipment Rental to reach the landlocked site: pay him $4,000 and let Clemetson off the hook, or pay him $20,000 and continue to pursue him.

King said Clemetson was wronged when he was sold inaccessible land, and wronged again when he paid a contractor for a job that wasn't finished. Now he could be on the hook with a big expense.

"This would be the third time he's been screwed," he said.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                          It would have to be a two part trailer, and the rear part probably steered itself into the ditch.

When they were building the new Cooper River Bridge that connects Charleston, SC to Mt Pleasant couple years ago I was on the interstate when would on occassion see trucks carrying very long beams to the site. These were so long that the rear trailer had it's own "driver" to steer the aft section. The rear guy was pretty much out in the open, kinda like being on a forklift except truck going 70 mph...seemed like a major splincter tightener to me.

Comment

Once, SWMBO's car broke down on a curved (a 375 degree "up and over") ramp, as luck would have it, two "wide load/extra long bridge beam" combos were right behind. Nothing like a "panic" exit out the passenger side, while those things "skid turn" at 50 MPH to get the ol'coolaid pump going!
                            Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Working...
                            X