new member ques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member ques?

Well i think this may be strike two for the Smithy i bought.First the milling part was not heavy enought for drilling an I-beam axle and now this.
    Heres the set-up: building a street rod and an old brake trick was to mount Buick Alum. finned drums on 47 ford hubs, which have to be turned down to fit on the drums.For a clearer picture think of the hubs that are on a trailer , boat or other , sort of like two Top hats together. What i have to do is first is remove the lug bolts and then take a light cut across the face to true it up so it sits nicely on the drum and then turn the large diameter (where the bearings are installed)down about .060" so it has a tight press fit in the hole of the buick drum.The problem is after i mount the hub on the lathe (3 jaw chuck on one side and a bull nose live center on the opposite side in the tailstock) the "carraige" where the compound tool post mounts , hits the hub before i can get the bit close enought to start cutting. The bit/cutter is 1/2 x2-3" .It seems if i had a longer bit say 4-5" i could cut without the "carraige " hitting. I think ???? I guess the "swing" over the carraige is to small or what am i not seeing or missing?
    The local shop did this for my last rod , so farming it out is no big deal was like 75.00 for the pair , but I'm trying to learn a little about lathes and such etc. so I'm alittle stuck ,and may need some help. thanks hugh

You can use a boring bar to reach out to the hub to machine it. That way the carriage will clear the hub. Boring bars are used for more things than boring. I have key stock bars that I have milled a slot in one end on the side and across the end and at a 45deg angle. You can cut the slots on each end so you have a lot of combinations to use.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Do you have a picture of your set-up. I've turned early Ford hubs a few times and don't recall any reasons why the carriage would hit, unless that is something peculiar to the Smithy - of which I am not familiar.

Those aluminum drums look good; but I don't care much for the performance when they get wet or fade down hill.
      Last edited by LarryinLV; 05-18-2007, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I don't have any help to offer, but am interested in the street rod you are building. What year, body style, engine, trans?
        I too am building, and am always interested in others work.

Thanks- Sid

Comment

I have no help either, but you should have checked the archives for 3 in 1 machines. No one that I know of votes for them.

Comment

Working...
          X